Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla WOW

13»

Comments

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Why not have a server for every expansion? Blizzard has a paid migration service nowdays, so you could transfer to next expansion whenever you wish.

I really miss the original WoW and TBC, the current WoW is not even half a game compared to the old one. I too have some recent experience, so forget the rose-tinted glasses ;)

Of course, the best solution would be to redesign WotLK, Cata and MoP and tune them like the older game was, but i doubt we'll ever see that to happen, at least by Blizzard.

• BloodyJawBloodyJaw Member Posts: 5

Well, I love Vanilla and early TBC WoW, unlikely the present one, and I'd love to see Blizzard making new servers for each expansion. But I know it wont happen until WoW will come to end, you know why?

It's pretty simple, not because Blizzard doesn't see any benefits from that, actually, many players form private servers would come back to original servers! But the thing is that Blizzard would have to admit, that THEY FAILED. They failed in building up the game, in simple - new expansions suck, and are step back from the old days. And, in my opinion, that's why Blizz will not make any Vanilla/TBC servers until the very last months of game. 

But we can always hope that just before their "project Titan" will launch, we will be given the opportunity to play on the old days servers made by Blizzard. And I really DO HOPE it will come to us one day.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Honestly as much as I love Vanilla I think it would get very boring really quick unless they updated new content for lvl 60 characters and still that is pushing it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I believe vannila WoW was a product of it's time. It made sense back then. I don't think it would compare today though. Fond memories are often established by the good times.. but there were lots of bad as well in vanilla WoW.

My first MMO was Asheron's Call. I often think that vanilla AC would be awesome again. I thought the same about AC2.. but we got AC2 again and I thought it was horrible.

I just think a lot of people would get a shock if they played vannila WoW now. There would literally be nothing to do. I mean, what did you do in V WoW that was different to current WoW? You ran dungeons and did raids.. and there was a lot less choice. The questing was worse back then, no set pieces, npcs that joined you or vechicle to get into. It was literally just kill, goto and collect in vanilla. I know the new questing is just a fancy way of doing those things anyway, but it still makes it a bit less monotonous. The world PvP was a bit better back then.. but that option is still there in the current WoW.. it's just the players that are choosing not to do it. If two guilds planned it and decided to do open world guild PvP warfare, they can. It hasn't gone away.

It's like... when you are older you look back at when you were at school and think "Wow, we sure had fun when we were younger". But the reality of our school days was a mixure of awesome times and terrible times. When we were at school, it wasn't really anywhere near as good as we remember it to be. We just miss the carefree attitude we had back then and I think the same thing applies here. When we played vannila WoW we didn't care as much, or know as much, about the specfics, or the possibilities, of MMOs so we remember it from a very different PoV than our current PoV; as the good old days. Now that we know more, and have experienced more, I doubt we would be able to mirror the same experience we had back then because 'we' have changed as well.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

trust me, you dont want vanilla WoW back.

You want back the old times, when you were young and had fun with your friends in wow. 

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

A better option would be to take the old Vanilla WoW and continue evolve the game while not taking the same path they did. Evolve in the same style it was created in in the first place. No fast leveling, no quest objectives shown on the map, no conveniences everywhere. But WITH new content, updated graphics etc.

We don't nescessary want the old Vanilla game, we want a better WoW in the same spirit as in Vanilla. They started taking wrong decisious somewhere in the past, I can't put my finger on when, I would even say TBC was starting to go wrong. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by mari3k

You want back the old times, when you were young and had fun with your friends in wow. 

WRONG !

I have proff but I can't talk about it here :(

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by delete5230

WRONG !

I have proff but I can't talk about it here :(

Exactly, it does get you banned around here for what ever reason. Anyway, people like us are a group Blizzard could actually make quite a bit of money from.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

yup wrong, I play on a vanilla and tbc private servers and they are great fun - no horrible race to max level, no peer pressure to gear up or fall behind - you have time to breath again and enjoy the best aspects of wow (great story telling, great music and atmosphere, great game play)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

yup wrong, I play on a vanilla and tbc private servers and they are great fun - no horrible race to max level, no peer pressure to gear up or fall behind - you have time to breath again and enjoy the best aspects of wow (great story telling, great music and atmosphere, great game play)

Pretty sure that's a community thing and not a client thing.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by Vannor

I believe vannila WoW was a product of it's time. It made sense back then. I don't think it would compare today though. Fond memories are often established by the good times.. but there were lots of bad as well in vanilla WoW.

My first MMO was Asheron's Call. I often think that vanilla AC would be awesome again. I thought the same about AC2.. but we got AC2 again and I thought it was horrible.

I just think a lot of people would get a shock if they played vannila WoW now. There would literally be nothing to do. I mean, what did you do in V WoW that was different to current WoW? You ran dungeons and did raids.. and there was a lot less choice. The questing was worse back then, no set pieces, npcs that joined you or vechicle to get into. It was literally just kill, goto and collect in vanilla. I know the new questing is just a fancy way of doing those things anyway, but it still makes it a bit less monotonous. The world PvP was a bit better back then.. but that option is still there in the current WoW.. it's just the players that are choosing not to do it. If two guilds planned it and decided to do open world guild PvP warfare, they can. It hasn't gone away.

It's like... when you are older you look back at when you were at school and think "Wow, we sure had fun when we were younger". But the reality of our school days was a mixure of awesome times and terrible times. When we were at school, it wasn't really anywhere near as good as we remember it to be. We just miss the carefree attitude we had back then and I think the same thing applies here. When we played vannila WoW we didn't care as much, or know as much, about the specfics, or the possibilities, of MMOs so we remember it from a very different PoV than our current PoV; as the good old days. Now that we know more, and have experienced more, I doubt we would be able to mirror the same experience we had back then because 'we' have changed as well.

This part made me /roll_eyes.

I do respect your opinion, but i feel the exact opposite. Running dungeons and raids back then required team work and ahead planning as well as maintaining you character's gear level. Completing a dungeon was an achievement and even if you hadn't time to do anything else it was well worth the time to log on. Loot you got from the instances were pretty good for next 10-15 levels, which meant several days, even weeks for a casual gamer. You didn't run those dungeons dozens of times per day as you do now, so you didn't got bored to them either.

Questing was a lot better back then. Quests were storytelling using no cut-scenes or scripted encounters. They made you to travel in distant locations, helped you to explore your surroundings and find new quests. Group quests made you to talk to people and expand your social network that was needed in dungeons and raids. Quests also gave you a meaning to kill mobs, which gave you drops in form of money, gear and crafting materials. Some quests led you to dungeons and even raids; they gave you a hint where to go next.

I tried MoP last week for 7 days, and questing was the most important reason i couldn't keep playing even for the full 7 day trial. I got an achievement 'you have done 100 quests' before i hit level 20, and most of the quests were about collecting 3-5 sparkling objects near the quest giver, or killing 3-5 mobs nearby. Sometimes a dungeon queue popped up and i teleported to some unknown location to run a dungeon mini-game that had nothing to do with the story i was involved.

Also, i have to say NPCs running and fighting with players as well as 'vehicles' you can get into are a really bad idea. Let me explain why.

In a game where there are hundreads of other players running around, the game should engourage you to ask help from them, not give you a NPC character that, in some cases, kills mobs for you. Most ridiculous quests makes you kill some boss creature that is tens of levels higher than you, but the npc kills the said boss for you. I thought you were supposed to be the hero, not the NPC.

Vehicle quests takes you out from your character and gives you a new one, the vehicle. You lose all your skills and stats, and they are replaced by those of the vehicle. Your gear, level or class has no meaning in these quests. Doesn't sound very good in a game where your only purpose is to develope your character.

I've seen many posts like yours in few different forums, and at first i couldn't comprehend how someone could even think like that. I used to play WoW for 5 years and loved every second of it. Then came the dungeon finder, soon after the pre-patch for Cataclysm and everything changed. Now i do understand the wow crowd is totally different from what it used to be, and these people actually like a lot how the game plays today, and that's fine. But what i want these people to understand is that the game today is totally different than before, and the good old game was just taken away from us. It's like if you play nothing else but Xcom for 3 years and suddenly that game no longer exist and is replaced with FIFA 2010. Who wouldn't get pissed off for that?

IMO, the evolution in WoW has gone backwards since the new dev team got onboard. When they should have make more of stuff, they remove them. When they should have make stuff last longer, they do the exact opposite. Then they should have make stuff harder, they make it easier.

Well, this rambling is already long enough. I think i got my point clear. :)

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

People aren't looking for Vanilla servers... they are looking for Vanilla-like servers.  Playing the old content when you've done it countless times before isn't really what they want, they want the same community, intensity, harshness, etc that the original servers had.  So fast-forward to 2013 and implement that with new content.  That would be something they would want.

However, you offer them an easy out on the server... i.e. hard core types follow this path and casuals follow this path but get to do the same things/acquire the same gear, I can assure you they'd opt out for the easy path.  Why work hard to get the same thing that someone who does nothing gets?  Human nature.

The reality is, Blizzard created a generation of casuals and they aren't going to like having easy-mode taken away from them... especially when there are other MMOs out there catering the easy-mode popping up every day.  Truth is, we're lazy, we're fat, and we happen to like it.  You're not going to convince us that running a marathon is in any way more rewarding than sitting on our couch watching someone run one.

Sure there are cutting edge guild that still do world firsts... but the reality is, once they've gotten that world first, they retire until the next major patch comes out.  They don't grind rep or dailies.  That's what casuals do.  They don't run the same raids over and over again to get BiS... they don't need it... hence world firsts.  Repetition is the mill of casuals.  Hardcores really only do it a couple of times then never do it again.  They'd have zero interest in revisting content they've already conquered before.  Casuals on the other hand will repeat it if you add mounts, new gear, or some achievement.  Big difference between hard cores and casuals.  1% are hardcore, 99% are casual... now you know why WoW is the way it is.  You can't make the game casual friendly and have a community... if you don't need anyone's help, you have no reason to talk to anyone.

Originally posted by deniter
    /snip

I can understand this point of view. Those that prefer group play to be a requirement. But, I also don't see why you need a game to force you into that way of playing. If that's how you are inclined to play, if it's what you 'really' want, you and like minded people can still do that.

A lot of people throw around the notion that WoW is easy now and that planning and group play isn't required.. but when something like 95% of the game's population havn't even got to many of the latest bosses yet I just don't buy this claim. Yeh 'much' of the questing experience is easier now, but the endgame isn't.

"Quests also gave you a meaning to kill mobs, which gave you drops in form of money, gear and crafting materials." - This hasn't even changed. You still get all those things for killing mobs and explainations for why you are killing them are still there.

"I teleported to some unknown location to run a dungeon mini-game that had nothing to do with the story i was involved." - If you don't use the Dungeon Finder and just follow the quests to dungeons as and when you get them in the open world, this goes away. You've got full control over it. There are tons.. and I mean TONS... of people spamming the chat because they are forming thier own groups for dungeons and raids. Even if they arn't.. you can still just chose the exact dungeon you want for the quest you picked up in your own story. All the filters are there for you to control.

I'm sorry but almost everything you said is a matter of personal playstyle and if those things are really important to you, all the options to play the way you want are still there. You are just choosing to ignore them.