Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What ruins Archeage...

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by inporylemii

My concerns

1. Game is filled with safe zones

2. Guards inside cities / trading ports = PvP is only allowed in the middle of nowhere (where no one is)

3. Forced factions = The most retarded thing ever developed by human kind.

4. Not a single gold sink or material sink in the game. Economy is just horrible. The amount of cash you get from guesting will buy you a materials for 50 houses and boats. The awesome item decay mechanic got removed from the game so what now, rng is the right answer for everything?

5. Crafting, and gathering for the most part is useless since economy is so horrible you can buy everything for cash.

6. PvP is mainly a grief fest since it doesn't have any meaning in it. You kill people only for the joy of killing someone, but you never get anything from it so why would you have energy to do this longer than few weeks?

7. There is no risk loosing anything. Destroying someones boat is just for the annoying factor he doesn't really loose anything of the value. 3g to repair a galleon is just same as there wasn't any cost. Why couldn't it need like materials to rebuilt it? No risk on anything is just not the way to go. Loosing a trading pack is the only thing you can loose in this game that packs gold will still stay in the economy and the guy who lost it has a bit less bananas which he can buy supercheap from the ah..

8. Not really a concern since they are probably going to fix these, but the class balance is quite horrible at the moment and rather than 120 classes we have around 10.

9. Hacks like teleporting.

If nothing ever breaks and you don't have any risk of doing anything everything will just be pointless in few weeks and you are only left with ganking people that are not doing trade runs inside the safe zones.

This makes me sad. I'm willing to listen to someone who tells me this isn't so.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by bcbully

My concerns

Zones 30+ are vulnerable

2. Guards inside cities / trading ports = PvP is only allowed in the middle of nowhere (where no one is)

The Northern Contenant is the PvP fully contested area. Since this is a sandbox, it is largely up to the players how they will use and fight for this area. I lot of features in the third contentant are not finished yet or are waiting to be implemented (siege). So part of it is that they game is still very new and the Northern contentant disputes will grow as time passes and guilds start investing in resources there.

Player created factions are in development.

4. Not a single gold sink or material sink in the game. Economy is just horrible. The amount of cash you get from guesting will buy you a materials for 50 houses and boats. The awesome item decay mechanic got removed from the game so what now, rng is the right answer for everything?

Vastly exaggerated.

5. Crafting, and gathering for the most part is useless since economy is so horrible you can buy everything for cash.

Crafting and gathering is the core of the entire game. It is required for everything from trade route missions, housing (and furnature for housing), creating gliders, farming, ship building, the list goes on and on. While the gear part of crafting at end game is still open for question, crafting in general isn't.

6. PvP is mainly a grief fest since it doesn't have any meaning in it. You kill people only for the joy of killing someone, but you never get anything from it so why would you have energy to do this longer than few weeks?

Player bounty system is also in development along with a reward system for doing so. Also you are able to steal their craftables which can be a significant hit to the player.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    shoot, is it ruined already.  That didn't take long.

I self identify as a monkey.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by steelwind

My concerns

Zones 30+ are vulnerable

The Northern Contenant is the PvP fully contested area. Since this is a sandbox, it is largely up to the players how they will use and fight for this area. I lot of features in the third contentant are not finished yet or are waiting to be implemented (siege). So part of it is that they game is still very new and the Northern contentant disputes will grow as time passes and guilds start investing in resources there.

Vastly exaggerated.

Crafting and gathering is the core of the entire game. It is required for everything from trade route missions, housing (and furnature for housing), creating gliders, farming, ship building, the list goes on and on. While the gear part of crafting at end game is still open for question, crafting in general isn't.

Player bounty system is also in development along with a reward system for doing so. Also you are able to steal their craftables which can be a significant hit to the player.

Thank you. 

edit - Could you explain what you mean about item decay?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Traditional Tab Targetting is the biggest thing followed by a reliance on systems that only a small percentage of people will utilyze.  A personal prference would be the character animations and character models.  Not a fan of the art style nor of the overly cartony/anime'ish art or animations.

What is the problem with tab targetting?  I see this come up once in a while, but I don't understand the complaint. 

It's called personal preference. The market for non targeted (as opposed to tab targeting) combat systems in MMO's is growing, like it or not. Though the tab targeting system will never leave for good.

I "grew up" on EQ and the tab styled targeting systems, but personally am leaning toward a non assisted targeting style myself. Aside from bunny-hopping and a few other flaws, I loved the Darkfall combat system. ESPECIALLY when fighting NPC's , it really increased the feeling of immersion for me. 

Just for reference, I don't like TERA's combat. It's like they had a tab targeting system then decided to remove it and put in cross hairs, not really changing anything at all.

There is a sense of skill in both types of combat. It's just different.

It's my personal opinion that non assisted targeting systems, "FPS style" if you will, gives the player a more 1 to 1 feeling with their character. Thats where the immersion comes in for me.

If you really want I can clean this up and write an essay about this debate but in the end some will still prefer one method over the other. The thing that everyone needs to realize is that everyone is different. Just because someone states their opinion doesn't mean you should feel the need to strike back, after all the only thing you have to strike back with is your own opinion, making the entire argument moot.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

My concerns

Zones 30+ are vulnerable

Vastly exaggerated.

Thank you. 

1. You are wrong enemies are safe zone time to time if the are is not contested. Since most of the coast areas are low level areas that also means most of the ports are perma safe zones.

2. Nothing to do in Northern continent so why would anyone go there? It's empty..

3. Yes they been in development for around a year.

4. Vastly exaggerated. Umm no. Go around and check the housing areas which used to be filled with stuff since OBT are now getting deserted. Scare crows are empty and no one is planting anything since there is nothing to use them for. People that got their items never has to gather or craft anything ever again. And the auction house is getting filled with cheap items and materials.  With the gold you get from questing you can aquire your house and ships no need for planting or gathering.

5.  I didn't say anything about trading. Tradin is the one thing that is still usefull you make money and buy everything. There is no need to do anything by yourself since it costs so much more than buying stuff from the auction house. 

6. Yes the crafted packs is the _only_ thing you can loot or aquire in this game. Do you think everyone is running around all the time with packs on their back?

And for the item decay. They had a system that would decay items and there was no repairing in the game. So for dieing and fighting you would loose durability which meant you had to keep crafting all the time. Now that you have bought your items or crafted you will never have to do anything. 

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

For some reason the question of item decay came out of the blue and suddenly a hot topic (to me it is players attempting to be negavite or looking for things to bitch about). Anyway from my understand is it the process of gear decaying and breaking thus not able to be simply repaired by an NPC. Since Archeage is a sandbox games, players assume that the economy will suffer without item decay where players need to either build new armor with their's breaks or goto players to have them repaired thus benefiting the economy.

Archeage armor decays but is then repaired by an NPC instead of players and apparently some players call this game breaking. Personally it is irrevalant to me.

My concerns

Zones 30+ are vulnerable

Vastly exaggerated.

Thank you. 

1. You are wrong enemies are safe zone time to time if the are is not contested.

2. Nothing to do in Northern continent so why would anyone go there? It's empty..

3. Yes they been in development for around a year.

4. Vastly exaggerated. Umm no. Go around and check the housing areas which used to be filled with stuff since OBT are now getting deserted. Scare crows are empty and no one is planting anything since there is nothing to use them for. People that got their items never has to gather or craft anything ever again. And the auction house is getting filled with cheap items and materials. 

5.  I didn't say anything about trading. Tradin is the one thing that is still usefull you make money and buy everything. There is no need to do anything by yourself since it costs so much more than buying stuff from the auction house. 

6. Yes the crafted packs is the _only_ thing you can loot or aquire in this game. Do you think everyone is running around all the time with packs on their back?

And for the item decay. They had a system that would decay items and there was no repairing in the game. So for dieing and fighting you would loose durability which meant you had to keep crafting all the time. Now that you have bought your items or crafted you will never have to do anything. 

This game seems to not be for you sir and I will lump you in the catagory of the players that want an absolute UO clone.

For a game that isn't even out yet, you certainly have a lot of anger about it. I am guessing this is all first hand experience with the game, since you seem know so much about it?

Why do you think I'm angry? I clearly said in the first post "My concerns"

And yes I have played this game for a quite long time so I have somekind of idea what I'm talking about. And what do you mean for the not out yet O.o? I base my opinions in the ingame experience not for the articles I have read of the game.

Rather than just giving fanboy answers to everything I want to talk about the flaws I have encountered and not just the parts I think the game is worth playing.

Well then if you HAVE played it, give it the credit it is due. The picture you paint is that it is crap. If you have actually played it, then you can probably agree Archeage is in a completely different catagory than the dribble that has been released the past few years. It deserves better than that.

I am sorry I am not trying to call you out and I do respect your opinion but in general there has been too much unneeded/unfounded negativity about Archeage (maybe peeps are mentally pitting it against TESO). I am just trying to foster a bit more positive about it because IMHO it deserves it.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Greymoor

Really looking forward to this game but I don't know if i'll be able to stand;

1.) Combat being a heavy CC fest, 1st attacker wins

2.) Armour, weapons, boats are never destroyed. The game would've been brilliant if it had a continuous need to craft. Pitty a year down the line everyone and their mother will have every ship in their bank, all the top gear ready to use and crafters will slowly become obsolete expect for consumables.

What ruins archeage is that you haven't played it yet and rely on assumption.

Always amused by false prophets. Thanks for that.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Traditional Tab Targetting is the biggest thing followed by a reliance on systems that only a small percentage of people will utilyze.  A personal prference would be the character animations and character models.  Not a fan of the art style nor of the overly cartony/anime'ish art or animations.

What is the problem with tab targetting?  I see this come up once in a while, but I don't understand the complaint. 

It's called personal preference. The market for non targeted (as opposed to tab targeting) combat systems in MMO's is growing, like it or not. Though the tab targeting system will never leave for good.

I "grew up" on EQ and the tab styled targeting systems, but personally am leaning toward a non assisted targeting style myself. Aside from bunny-hopping and a few other flaws, I loved the Darkfall combat system. ESPECIALLY when fighting NPC's , it really increased the feeling of immersion for me. 

Just for reference, I don't like TERA's combat. It's like they had a tab targeting system then decided to remove it and put in cross hairs, not really changing anything at all.

It's my personal opinion that non assisted targeting systems, "FPS style" if you will, gives the player a more 1 to 1 feeling with their character. Thats where the immersion comes in for me.

If you really want I can clean this up and write an essay about this debate but in the end some will still prefer one method over the other. The thing that everyone needs to realize is that everyone is different. Just because someone states their opinion doesn't mean you should feel the need to strike back, after all the only thing you have to strike back with is your own opinion, making the entire argument moot.

If it's really just a matter of it being "personal preference" then I think it's a bit over the top to claim that it ruins the game...

You make me like charity

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

If it's all "player skill", that's no longer an RPG to me. So I really dislike action game mechanics in my RPG. Tab target all the way, with deep stat and gear influence, along with maybe even slower combat than we have now (to prioritize characters over players).

ArcheAge seems to be keeping away from the new action-combat trend in MMOs, so I'm glad.

Also, since when does combat equate to long term commitment. No matter how great combat is, if you run out of things to do in a few months you move on.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Damn, the game hasn't even been released and it's already ruined.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

Probably because tab-target systems involve no player skill and for some act as a sleeping aid.

there is some truth in those words, but i dont see any player skill required in lets say, TERA's combat. You have the skills you need for your role, guard / evade before you are hit then keep attacking. Not very player-skill oriented.

I personally think that developers are able to get either tab target or "action" combat and make them dependant on player skills. But they havent done it. There is plenty room for improvement in both systems.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Well, we have been missing CC of late. Nice to see it attempting a comeback.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by dave6660

That can be said for every game here... they are all doomed before they even release. 

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Well, we have been missing CC of late. Nice to see it attempting a comeback.

You haven't played TERA then... lol. TERA is pretty fucking CC intensive, as a warrior I can lock someone down for 100% of their health in the right situation.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

That can be said for every game here... they are all doomed before they even release. 

We have this Checklist, you see, it's 700 systems long. We keep adding to it.

Eventually, any given title will Fail at least one system, for somebody. If that person happens to be vocal and dedicated enough...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by dave6660

Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.

I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left.

Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Kilrain

If it's really just a matter of it being "personal preference" then I think it's a bit over the top to claim that it ruins the game...

Well not really, what he should have said was that it ruined the game for "him". What I'm getting at is too many people (everywhere, not just on these forums) argue their opinions instead of having discussions. Just a pet-peeve of mine.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by vzerov
    Originally posted by dave6660 Damn, the game hasn't even been released and it's already ruined.  
    Actually Archage the game has been released, for several months, just not in NA, and most people who have or had extrem  interest in it bought accounts from ebay or taubao or whatever site and have played it already.

I was in a small guild which had around 30 members and there was another guild which is our ally had like 50 members, we use the same team speak channel in game. Around 1/3 of us left in the first month, another 1/3 or more left in the second month, included me. Some servers were already at low population most of the time when I left.

Archage has the potential (just like alot of games), but there are some wierd system designs, like the pvp system, which makes activities related to the system boring and meanless. Maybe they will change those systems before the release at NA or at my country and make it a good game, no one knows.

Just wanted to point out that ArcheAge was released in Korea on January 15th, 2013. So the game is not even 2 months old.

Originally posted by Kumapon

Originally posted by dave6660 Damn, the game hasn't even been released and it's already ruined.  

Just wanted to point out that ArcheAge was released in Korea on January 15th, 2013. So the game is not even 2 months old.

In korea they don't have any wipes after OBT so I would count the release date from 2.1.

• vzerovvzerov Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Kumapon

True, officially its not. However the OB was started at 01/02/2013, not an official release ofcourse, but, ya.. you know it.

If someone joined the game at 01/15 it would be hard for him to find a place to build a farm. Not now ofcourse, My friends which are still in the game told me there are alot more avalible place to build now due to the decreasing population.