Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game is a prime example of a game you should have fun but don't.

123457»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I felt the same way about the skill system at first.. I still wish they had more weapon sets but once you get up in levels and especially 40+ build options start opening up a lot and gets more and more open the higher you get..my main issue now is not having a build saver so I can swap between all the builds I come up with

I will never understand this.

The game isn't any more complex than others on the market. It isn't real hard to get people to work skills sympatico. Nor do you even need to bother to do so for most fights.

You want to know the biggest drawback towards this game for some? The fact that some players make it seem a hell of a lot more complicated to play than it is.

...and for clarification purposes that was a direct statement towards the person quoted. :P

It is more complex than other games on the market, its just simpler on the surface.

Combos and traits / weapon combos play a very large role in combat, but unless you are doing competitive PvP against good players you probably won't notice or need to notice.

The combat system is much more in depth than TSW, TERA, EQ2, Vanguard, LOTRO etc, its just those games are less streamlined, giving the illusion of complexity. Wheras GW2 is the opposite, it appears simple on the surface, but the combat offers much deeper gameplay.

Although its all a matter of relativity, since I wouldnt call any MMOs difficult or complex.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

One of the things I really take issue with current MMO trends is this paring down of skills and spells so that they only deal with combat.  What happened to all of the fun skills and spells of the older games, the run speeds and levitates, invises for classes besides the rogue, flavor style shape changes or factional shape changes, non-aggroing investigative tools like the Eye of Romm, water breathing, increased swim speed, blink spells, buffs for better selling prices, paladin destriers and dark knight helsteeds, light spells, identify spells, conjure item spells of the magnitude of EQ Magicians.  Mini games, readable libraries...etc.

Every game has become so combat focused, that the very quality of life mechanics of the game worlds have suffered if not completely gone missing.

I like that stuff too, but combat is a core pillar of a game.  That needs to be most solid first.  That said, they can always add that stuff.  They added fun stuff like that to GW1 as it matured.  SoE added that stuff to EQ2 as it matured.  Neither of those games started with all the fluff already in place.  Just because it's not in there now doesn't mean that stuff can't be added.

Actually EQ2 did start out with fluff spells like various vision spells, illusions, class fluff spells and non-combat abilities.

Every 10 levels after 20 offered a new 'fun' spell per class.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

For me the game is simply a display of the current state of the mmo market. A sort of anti-mimesis if you will. Now for an alternative observation, these forums are a perfect example of cognitive dissonance. No matter how many times they get lied to and pissed on, their beloved Arenanet could never be fallible. No matter how much of their senior talent has already jumped ship, leaving them to relearn the mistakes that would have been considered common knowledge in the past.

I once used this as an expressive representation for TOR players, but now I believe the torch officially been passed down to you lovely people.

Also explain how every single time someone criticizes the game you're playing, that you simply cannot find it within yourself to maybe consider a different perspective?

Personally the game was a disappoint for me, in the same way that your metaphorical daughter would grow up only to become another jezebel on the street corner.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by evilastro

It is more complex than other games on the market, its just simpler on the surface.

Combos and traits / weapon combos play a very large role in combat, but unless you are doing competitive PvP against good players you probably won't notice or need to notice.

The combat system is much more in depth than TSW, TERA, EQ2, Vanguard, LOTRO etc, its just those games are less streamlined, giving the illusion of complexity. Wheras GW2 is the opposite, it appears simple on the surface, but the combat offers much deeper gameplay.

Although its all a matter of relativity, since I wouldnt call any MMOs difficult or complex.

The complexity is a variable. Changes upon the person in question. It isn't remotely difficult to ascertain the same person that won't know how to synergize his skills in GW2 would be completely unaware how to heal, buff, or cleanse in a game such as LotR. Look...I'm not saying the game doesn't have the knack for using your noggin'. What I would differ on are those that somehow thinks it takes a higher IQ to grasp the combat of the game.

I suppose in an odd way we agree to an extent. I'll give you this much. Least you didn't come in here referring to people as poopyheads or five year olds.

Some of you need to pug more. Maybe then you folks would realize how little your average player knows overall far as the "elite aspects" some refer to.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

One of the things I really take issue with current MMO trends is this paring down of skills and spells so that they only deal with combat.  What happened to all of the fun skills and spells of the older games, the run speeds and levitates, invises for classes besides the rogue, flavor style shape changes or factional shape changes, non-aggroing investigative tools like the Eye of Romm, water breathing, increased swim speed, blink spells, buffs for better selling prices, paladin destriers and dark knight helsteeds, light spells, identify spells, conjure item spells of the magnitude of EQ Magicians.  Mini games, readable libraries...etc.

Every game has become so combat focused, that the very quality of life mechanics of the game worlds have suffered if not completely gone missing.

I like that stuff too, but combat is a core pillar of a game.  That needs to be most solid first.  That said, they can always add that stuff.  They added fun stuff like that to GW1 as it matured.  SoE added that stuff to EQ2 as it matured.  Neither of those games started with all the fluff already in place.  Just because it's not in there now doesn't mean that stuff can't be added.

Actually EQ2 did start out with fluff spells like various vision spells, illusions, class fluff spells and non-combat abilities.

Every 10 levels after 20 offered a new 'fun' spell per class.

Yes, I know.  I have a Warden (and a stable full of others).  But what it launched with and what it offers today are worlds apart.  GW2 has some of that fluff in the form of consumables and temp effects.  My point is even if it is sparse now there is plenty of room for it to grow into something rich like EQ2 and GW1 did.

EQ2 isn't a modern game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

The complexity is a variable. Changes upon the person in question. It isn't remotely difficult to ascertain the same person that won't know how to synergize his skills in GW2 would be completely unaware how to heal, buff, or cleanse in a game such as LotR. Look...I'm not saying the game doesn't have the knack for using your noggin'. What I would differ on are those that somehow thinks it takes a higher IQ to grasp the combat of the game.

I suppose in an odd way we agree to an extent. I'll give you this much. Least you didn't come in here referring to people as poopyheads or five year olds.

Some of you need to pug more. Maybe then you folks would realize how little your average player knows overall far as the "elite aspects" some refer to.

in a way it is the games fault as you can complete majority of the games content and not even need to know how the combo system works at all. But in stuff like harder dungeons and PVP these things are very noticabe when a player doesn't understand them and ones that do. I think my main thing when people call the combat shallow and such just because it limits you to 10 skills per weapon set is how much you can actually do with just those skills and how most have numerous effects on a single skill and multiple uses and usually more uses when traited.. The main enjoyment I get is how much I can tweak and completely change my playstyle. My mesmer can do melee, can do ranged, can do burst, can do conditions, can do heavy support, stealth focused specs you just have so many ways to play and I find this refreshing compared to other games where you may have a ton of abilities but basically most play out the exact same. I had this issue with TSW you get a TON of skills to play with but once in combat most combinations played out the exact same way since the game is all built around builders and finishers. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

haha

i totally forgot about this thread, thanks to those who defended me and agreed with me.  :D

my intention wasn't to troll or cause any argument it was only to express myself, wasn't expecting much responses initially.

i stopped playing for awhile and just recently went back a few days ago and tried to play the game again and it was still the same for me.. i just found no mental stimulation or interest and couldn't continue and had to uninstall.

too each their own, this game just didn't satisfy my desires or keep me stimulated/interested in the end.

i might try age of wushu as recommended at some point but i'm not feeling the china/martial arts theme right now, i'm more looking at wildstar (or final fantasy) as my next game.. it looks fairly creative and has me intrigued.

anyway, thanks for all the responses and such.. there's really no need to keep the thread going past this point.

if you're enjoying guild wars 2, i'm happy for you and if you're not i wish you luck in finding a new game that you do enjoy.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please do not necro old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.