Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much are you willing to donate?

I am curious as to how much people would donate to the kick-starter if they plan to do so.

Does anyone know if the goal is not met would the donations be refunded?

Comments

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

No offense to kickstarter, I understand the concept, but it seems like it's becoming a trend.  And it could go badly as a whole.  Companies getting basically free money with noone to answer to.  I'll give money when I get a couple of stocks and can make money off my support.

flame away but...

<----------

• tboxtbox Member Posts: 372
    Originally posted by Talgen

No offense to kickstarter, I understand the concept, but it seems like it's becoming a trend.  And it could go badly as a whole.  Companies getting basically free money with noone to answer to.  I'll give money when I get a couple of stocks and can make money off my support.

flame away but...

<----------

Valid point Talgen about kickstarter.  Everyone is using it not the people who really need it.   But I think CU should be on kickstarter because its a niche game with a small team and I do want to support Indie MMO devs who are willing to create bold  features that Themepark AAAs studios dont have the testicular fortietude to do. 

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

I am not paying money towards a game that is likely to be two years in the works, and which, at release, I may have no interest in playing.  

I don't really get kick starter, I mean investing your money makes sense, but handing it over to a company for no return seems plain odd. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    It's becoming a trend because it's a good model. I however, am paycheck to paycheck. I almost fainted when CU was announced, though, so I am in for $100-$300, depending on my financial situation at the time.

Also, if the game is not funded, you are not charged.
  • davymenwindavymenwin Member Posts: 9
    Thats my problem with the kick-starter. The game is targeted at a small niche of players, mainly people who have experienced the glory days of DAOC. That being said it is going be tough to raise that 2 million he's asking for. Especially when many of us have a salary of a teacher and don't neccessarily have that much cash to donate.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Donate.....Jacobs......LOL
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by davymenwin

I am curious as to how much people would donate to the kick-starter if they plan to do so.

If the kickstarter doesn't raise $2 million, there are no charges to anybody's credit cards.

I'm planning on donating at least $100 (or more if there is a lifetime subscription kickstarter tier in the $100-200 range).

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Kickstarter is a wonderful alternative method for funding a project.  Most of the projects that are promoted on Kickstarter are Indie developers of a certain type of product.  Just because Mark Jacobs has a reputation, doesn't mean his company is any less of an Indie Studio.

Sometimes helping others accomplish dreams isn't so much about what you're going to get in return, unless it's financially devastating to you; then you're just stupid if you invest in someone's dream.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by davymenwin

That would depend on the Tier benefits for the Kickstarter... so it's kind of hard to say until those Tiers are announced.

As for your second question, there is no refund because you would never have been charged in the first place.  Your Kickstart pledge does not get processed until the donation window ends.  So if tomorrow you pledge $50, it will not be charged to your card until the Kickstarter closes.  if at the end, they have enough donations they are "funded" and your card would be charged.  if they do not reach goal you would never be charged.   You can also cancel your donation right up until the project closes (unless your pledge would cause them to fall under the FUNDING threshold).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Scarfe

I am not paying money towards a game that is likely to be two years in the works, and which, at release, I may have no interest in playing.  

I don't really get kick starter, I mean investing your money makes sense, but handing it over to a company for no return seems plain odd. 

There is a return.  Perhaps you should wander over to kickstarter and look at some of the projects and what you get if you choose to invest.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    It's becoming a trend because it's a good model. I however, am paycheck to paycheck. I almost fainted when CU was announced, though, so I am in for $100-$300, depending on my financial situation at the time.

Also, if the game is not funded, you are not charged.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a good model simply because it works for the developer.  I'd say it's been successful because people will still throw money at things they want when they don't even know what it is.

You could literally start a Kickstarter right now saying you're going to make the best MechWarrior persistent MMORPG and you'll get hundreds of thousands of dollars by playing on player desires. 

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Quesa

You could literally start a Kickstarter right now saying you're going to make the best MechWarrior persistent MMORPG and you'll get hundreds of thousands of dollars by playing on player desires. 

No you won't because if you are a random nobody starting a kickstarter with no track record of being able to make the project you're asking money for, you won't get enough donations to meet your goal, your kickstarter will fail, and you'll get $0. There's no certainty that even Mark Jacobs will get enough donations to get CU off the ground. In fact I expect it will fall well short.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Quesa

No you won't because if you are a random nobody starting a kickstarter with no track record of being able to make the project you're asking money for, you won't get enough donations to meet your goal, your kickstarter will fail, and you'll get $0. There's no certainty that even Mark Jacobs will get enough donations to get CU off the ground. In fact I expect it will fall well short.

I doubt they will fail 2mil, they are running a good PR campaign so far and I am sure they are just getting started. 

They gona hit the crucial 15-20% almost instantly past that it is done deal. Good start, good presentation, financed.

I am curious about stretch goals, that will be interesting to see.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Sometbing about kickstarter just rubs me the wrong way.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I may throw in $15 - $20 bucks. Just to help an idea I like.

It would be the 1st time I have donated to anything KS, and probably the last. I personally have not found anything worth giving to, until now. So i will give a little =)