Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Skill-based MMORPG (Possible RP server)

Uchiha722Uchiha722 Member Posts: 2

After watching an aniem called Swords online I have been looking for a Skill-based MMORPG that is set in fantasy medeival times. I would prefer one that is soley skilled-based but one that hast he level-sytem as well as skill-based will work as well, would also like it to b decently populated and if possible have a RP server.

Comments

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Uchiha722

After watching an aniem called Swords online I have been looking for a Skill-based MMORPG that is set in fantasy medeival times. I would prefer one that is soley skilled-based but one that hast he level-sytem as well as skill-based will work as well, would also like it to b decently populated and if possible have a RP server.

Skill based? Medevial? = Darkfall Unholy Wars, decently populated...it matters how you look at it.

Besides my beloved Darkfall online, you have an anime style killing game called Archblade. its a f2p.

Or a couple other f2p Kinda skill based, medivalish would be,

Wushu Online,  TERA,  Wakfu,

Some that arent out yet but i would consider is TESO, ArchAge, or FF14 Reborn.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

You're not going to find anything close to Sword Art.

Sword Art Online is appealing and seems like the perfect game because the characters in the show play the game the way people USED to play games like Ultima and Ever Quest back in the day. People actually formed communities, there were people who did things and had jobs and didn't just fight all day. You had your fighters and then you had your crafters and resource gatherers, player made assassin guilds etc etc.

All the current gen games don't even attempt to get players to do these things. They force a mediocre story line on you that makes its own personality for your character, your character and everyone else's is essentially the same person (the hero of the town/kindom/whatever), the only thing you do is fight or at some people you HAVE to fight. The thing with Sword Art is that players could play the entire game as a fisherman or a cook or whatever and never fight if they didn't want to.

Sword Art also puts a strong emphasis on grouping. the main character wanted to be a solo player which was fine for a while but he eventually needed to team up. The game didn't force everyone to be a jack of all trades and they had to rely on each other to cancel out their various weaknesses (for example when the fisherman needed Kiroto to slay a powerful fish. The fisherman was skilled enough to be able to catch it which no one under his fishing level could do, but he could kill it and needed someone who could. Mechanics like that causes players to interact which makes for a good MMO experience. otherwise you may as well be playing a single player with lag spikes and a spamming chatbox).

So anyway, there are plenty of skill based games out there, but they wont come anywhere near scratching your Sword Art Online itch that every MMO player wants to scratch after watching it. Dark Fall would come close, but the reality is that the community is down right cruel (not everyone obviouslyl, but enough to ruin it for most). In practice Sword Art might be the same way in pracetice. There needs to harse punishment for player killing in FFA pvp games so that people would be more likely to kill those they really need to/want to kill. That's just me thinking out loud though.

• Uchiha722Uchiha722 Member Posts: 2

Thank you both for your recommandations and though I am aware that there is nothing is close to SAO in terms of community anymore, (Though I have high hopes for Elder Scrolls Online in the future) I just need something to play that requires more tatic, more customization and thought then just the generic Level based system.

SAO just reignited my passion for MMORPG's that require more work to them then classic tank and spank

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

You're not going to find anything close to Sword Art.

Sword Art Online is appealing and seems like the perfect game because the characters in the show play the game the way people USED to play games like Ultima and Ever Quest back in the day. People actually formed communities, there were people who did things and had jobs and didn't just fight all day. You had your fighters and then you had your crafters and resource gatherers, player made assassin guilds etc etc.

All the current gen games don't even attempt to get players to do these things. They force a mediocre story line on you that makes its own personality for your character, your character and everyone else's is essentially the same person (the hero of the town/kindom/whatever), the only thing you do is fight or at some people you HAVE to fight. The thing with Sword Art is that players could play the entire game as a fisherman or a cook or whatever and never fight if they didn't want to.

Sword Art also puts a strong emphasis on grouping. the main character wanted to be a solo player which was fine for a while but he eventually needed to team up. The game didn't force everyone to be a jack of all trades and they had to rely on each other to cancel out their various weaknesses (for example when the fisherman needed Kiroto to slay a powerful fish. The fisherman was skilled enough to be able to catch it which no one under his fishing level could do, but he could kill it and needed someone who could. Mechanics like that causes players to interact which makes for a good MMO experience. otherwise you may as well be playing a single player with lag spikes and a spamming chatbox).

So anyway, there are plenty of skill based games out there, but they wont come anywhere near scratching your Sword Art Online itch that every MMO player wants to scratch after watching it. Dark Fall would come close, but the reality is that the community is down right cruel (not everyone obviouslyl, but enough to ruin it for most). In practice Sword Art might be the same way in pracetice. There needs to harse punishment for player killing in FFA pvp games so that people would be more likely to kill those they really need to/want to kill. That's just me thinking out loud though.

^Wise beyond his years

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Uchiha722

You can try Darkfall: Unholy Wars out now. TESO won't come anywhere near that gameplay. If I where you I would follow the development of Gloria Victis (pre-alpha atm). There is alot of discussion of the official webside about rp and even rp servers. Another game you might want to follow is Embers of Caerus but that game is mostly still on paper and will probably be released in 2016-2017.