Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game like this shouldn't have a 15$ a month sub fee

124»

Comments

• HeartsparkHeartspark Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by mari3k

I doubt that it will have a 15$ a month sub fee. 

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

CERTAIN types of people are not willing to spent on subs is what you meant to say.

Free to play also does not mean sucessfull game, OR good game for that matter.  Having subs is a lifeforce of a MMO.   It has its perks and downfalls, but markj mentioned he was not looking for a million subs, he was looking for enough to keep the game a float with hardcore fans.  Which is good imo, I would rather have the same people like you did in daoc you could smack talk on vnboards vs a million people playing to level 10 and quiting because they got fusterated with something.

Heartspark: Animist rr12, bors, Lone Enforcer, Retired

Dranzerk: Berzerker (kay) retired
    Dhei: Spiritmaster (Kay) retired
    Goblinking : Hunter (Kay) retired
    Moongoose: Shadowblade (Kay) retired

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Even a niche game needs players, especially when it is pvp only. Charging close to the average full box price as a sub fee will result in an empty game.

An exclusive 'rich mans' MMO is never going to happen. Remember its called MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER orpg, the whole point it to attact large numbers of players.

This debate has already been answered by Mark Jacobs in his blog posts. It will be a tiered-sub model that will probably have a lower rate than 15 / month.

Part of the reason of going to kickstarter and cutting out the publisher is to offer a cheaper game.

• TerminusTerminus Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Corehaven

I want to own the game I buy.  I want to play it whenver I want.  If I want to take a break for awhile I want to come back if I feel like it.  I do this with every other kind of game I own.  It's about value. 

So I don't care how great a game is, I won't pay a monthly for a game I already paid for.  I'm just not.  Every game that tries a sub fee these days ends up being totally F2P months later. 

So hold on now sub lovers.  Is that what you want?  Do you want to pay a sub for awhile just to see the game go totally F2P months later?  Because none of you seem to like that, except it happens 90% of the time.  The way I look at it, a sub game, is actually a soon to be F2P game.  How's that for logic?  Yea I know there's a few exceptions and there are.  But the danger is still very much there. 

I'm not a F2P guy.  I'm a B2P guy.  I want to pay an up front cost ( I dont care if its 80 or 100 bucks) and then I want to be able to play the game whenever I want.  Period. 

You pay $50 for the game on the disk, off the shelf. The subscription fee pays for new content added over time that wasn't present in that original game. It also pays for customer support. You are getting more content and support over time, which is added value to the product you originally bought.

A lot of games are putting in F2P options because it makes the company more money, not because they're doing you a favor. They want you to play for free because somewhere down the line, they're betting you will buy some cosmetics, or extra character slots, or something that will probably end up being more expensive for you in the long run than if you just bought the monthly subscription tier that grants all of that in the first place.

I'm not sure where you got the 90% statistic from, but I think for clarity's sake, it's more fair to say that there are an increasing number of MMORPGs out there that are adding tiered subscription options, including F2P options. F2P is hardly a danger for these companies.

As far as your logic goes, I think there are a few details you missed, but a tiered subscription model would benefit both you and me in this case because ultimately, we still get to play with/against each other, and get to choose the payment option we prefer. Seems like a win/win to me.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by wolfhounds
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz

Well, MJ has stated, in no unspecific terms, the game will be built for the "vast minority."  I would rather see a high subscription fee to facilitate a loyal fan base than a F2P abomination which attracts a bunch of game jumping asshats for a few weeks.

You also need to understand that the game will mainly attract old DAoC players (and when I say "old" I mean literally OLD, like myself) who were raised on subscription based games.  My guess (and it's just a guess, mind you) is that the game will be largely populated by a more mature crowd with jobs and some disposable income.

Players simply do not quit a game they enjoy because the sub fee is too high.  It just doesn't happen.

Exactly.  I'm one of those old DAoC heads, and I'll gladly pay monthly for a reworked MMO (anything but WoW) with realm and server pride.

Couldn't agree .

• CyborWolfTKCyborWolfTK Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Stiler
    Originally posted by CyborWolfTK

I'd Pay $45-50 a month for a quality game.

Where else could you get this kind of entertainment value?

Take your GF to the movies, and it's atleast 30 bucks, for a few hours at most.

Take her to a theme park, again. atleast 30 bucks, and probably closer to 50, or more. For what?

maybe 8-10 hours tops?

Come on guys. If you can't afford to sub 15-20 dollars a month for 24/7 365 access should you really be playing MMOs?

You might want to consider going back to school for a few years, or atleast 6 months and pick up a trade that allows you to make more money.

Just sayin...

RL needs to take priority over gaming, and if it does for you,

coughing up some chedder for a good game should not be a big deal.

It's called marketing, and while many of us could afford 30+ bucks a month for a subscription many people would look at that, compare it to the mmo market as a whole, and laugh and never play the game.

You do want CU to be successful yes? It has to compete against other mmo's, and making the sub cost high is one way to help it go the opposite direction.

It's simple marketing and economics, especially at a tim elike now when many people don't have the luxuries they have had in the past few years with the economy.

I want CU to be a hit, so RVR will be populated. Playing an mmo with a small playerbase is not the same as a full game brimming with people to fight against.

I don't recall saying it should be 30+ a month. I siad I would pay 45-50 a month for a quality game.

It's okay I understand what your saying.

I have never choosen a game on price. Even way back when we paid by the HOUR to play online games, never did i choose a game on its price.

So I'm sorry If I can't relate. When ever I wanted something in life I worked for it, or made room for it in my budget. In fact I paid for my first year in DaoC with the proceeds from mowing my neigbhors grass.

EDIT: HIS,  Horribly Inept Speller.