Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game like this shouldn't have a 15$ a month sub fee

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

A game like this shouldn't have a 15$ a month sub fee. 

Not saying it should be free to play, but I say about 5-7$ a month as the normal monthly fee.

a game like this is driven by player popuation. Playing GW2's WvW I can see that even there it's WvW isn't fun without population to fill the WvW maps.

the genre of MMO have grown greatly since the years of DAoC. There are more and more options for consumers to choose from, which is why trying to lock your consumers into your own game, while still keeping the 15$ a month fee, is counterproductive and doesn't work anymore.

Consumers have more freedom to jump ship to other games, like never before.

having a reduced sub fee would intimidate consumers less, so that they may sub to this game along with whatever other MMO they may be interested into in the future.

most mmo consumers don't sub the multiple MMOs. The minority does,, but the majority doesn't. The game like this need population. Why scare away population with 15$sub when other interesting games comes out in the future?

game like GW2's population alone was saved due to its no sub fee. Imagine how the population of that game would have been if it had a 15$ monthly sub fee.

perhaps this is something the developers should consider...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• turkishmafiaturkishmafia Member UncommonPosts: 57
    A game like this should have a $45/month fee.
  • General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Not saying it should be free to play, but I say about 5-7$ a month as the normal monthly fee.

a game like this is driven by player popuation. Playing GW2's WvW I can see that even there it's WvW isn't fun without population to fill the WvW maps.

the genre of MMO have grown greatly since the years of DAoC. There are more and more options for consumers to choose from, which is why trying to lock your consumers into your own game, while still keeping the 15$ a month fee, is counterproductive and doesn't work anymore.

having a reduced sub fee would intimidate consumers less, so that they may sub to this game along with whatever other MMO they may be interested into in the future.

most mmo consumers don't sub the multiple MMOs. The minority does,, but the majority doesn't. The game like this need population. Why scare away population with 15$sub when other interesting games comes out in the future?

game like GW2's population alone was saved due to its no sub fee. Imagine how the population of that game would have been if it had a 15$ monthly sub fee.

MJ already stated that this would have a tiered subscription method....

* edit spelling

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

I doubt that it will have a 15$ a month sub fee. 

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by mari3k

If it will, it will have to close servers in 6 month.... people are not willing to spent money on subs anymore.

This is Bull Sh!t

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Allow me to counter the OP by stating that I am so tired of the same handful of classes and races carbon copied t ofight each other on an elementary school playground with K-POW shiny effects that I'll gladly pay $19.99 per month for my sub. 

An mmorpg like CU has not been done since Dark Age of Camelot's release in 2001.  The part about having ample opportunity to jump from game to game is a moot point in an idustry where every title I've seen is so filled with plastic and pointless lore that I and nearly every gamer I know refuses to bother with online gaming anymore.

Secondly, many of us are fully aware of what happens in the F2P model - but I don't want to beat a dead horse on that topic.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by General_Dru-Zod

This is Bull Sh!t

I agree with Zod.

I personaly would pay 20+$/month for a good game. Problem is people arent willing to pay for the crap cookie cutters and wow clones pouring out of the industry the last few years. Has nothing to do with the pay scale, has everything to do with qualiy of game. Eye candy and fluff 3 week long stories arent cutting it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I honestly can't say that I know enough to say what the model 'should be,' but I'm pro subscription fee.  This way I have all content, all capabilities, all goodies without having to spend additional funds.  I know I'm sad, but I spend more on free to plays, then if I just fess up the 15.

I self identify as a monkey.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Onomas

This is Bull Sh!t

I agree with Zod.

I personaly would pay 20+$/month for a good game. Problem is people arent willing to pay for the crap cookie cutters and wow clones pouring out of the industry the last few years. Has nothing to do with the pay scale, has everything to do with qualiy of game. Eye candy and fluff 3 week long stories arent cutting it.

You are in the vast minority . Population would drop, and as population drops, even the players interested will move on.

why you think most developers do whatever possible to hide sub numbers, or even to hide server merges? When MMO consumers feel population is dropping they leave as well, and cause a chain reaction.

the 15$ a month sub fee doesn't work anymore. Way too many games to choose from, as well and more and more new MMOs being released that will also draw hype and attention away from CU.

population goes down, then it's like playing WvW in GW2 on a low pop server. Not fun.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by turkishmafia
    A game like this should have a $45/month fee.

I'd pay that for a good old school mmorpg.  Hopefully, this one will be good. *Crosses fingers*

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

I agree with Zod.

Exactly, well said! If someone doesn't want to pay a sub fee look elsewhere.

Dark Age of Camelot

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    You are in the vast minority . Population would drop, and as population drops, even the players interested will move on.

why you think most developers do whatever possible to hide sub numbers, or even to hide server merges? When MMO consumers feel population is dropping they leave as well, and cause a chain reaction.

the 15$ a month sub fee doesn't work anymore. Way too many games to choose from, as well and more and more new MMOs being released that will also draw hype and attention away from CU.

population goes down, then it's like playing WvW in GW2 on a low pop server. Not fun.

ye maybe I am another person from minority. I would gladly pay 50+ bucks per month for good mmorpg. I hate F2P mode. Too many trolls, kids, casuals and poor people.

• RegroRegro Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

[mod edit]

This. The subscription amount has never caused me to not play a game since I was in high school and didn't have a credit card. If I like a game I'll pay the 15 dollars a month because , quite frankly, it is cheap. I've never thought to myself "Hey if this game was 5 dollars a month cheaper I'd play but...I really need that extra big mac this month". 

I have quit games because of negative changes made and terrible starts though.

ye maybe I am another person from minority. I would gladly pay 50+ bucks per month for good mmorpg. I hate F2P mode. Too many trolls, kids, casuals and poor people.

I am not talking abotu CU but general.

By the way... MAN I ENVY YOU YOUR KNOWLEGE. You must have some god like skills and abilities that you know exactly what players and everyone want and what they prefer. Man you must be some kind of magican. Teach us

Anyways, go get a job at McDonalds, so you an afford the $15 (or 15$)  a month fee, and it won't be such a big deal.

Thanks,

Bye.

Well said. Another option is KFC or Burger king .. But ive heard that KFC pays like a bit more, so maybe they can buy a lolipop as a bonus too :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Not everybody have 15$ a month to throw away. Most MMO consumers are more comfortable playing games with free playing options that don't lock them out from attempting to play the game, like P2P MMOs do. In these f2p games once players feel comfortable, they don't mind coughing up money, sometimes more than 15$ a month.

again I am not suggesting going F2P with CU, but the 15$ a month sub fee is old and a dying format. It worked in the past when there were fewer options for consumers to choose from. 

But with so many MMO games on the market, and more and more new MMOs coming out at a rate like never before, a game like this wont retain population like games did in the past when the market was smaller. Population will jump ship because most of them won't hold a dual active account in this game a long with all the other hyped up upcoming MMO titles.

when players start noticing population drops, they tend to also abandon ship, even if the game was enjoyable. MMO consumers like playing the game with others around them. Even if that means playing solo. But once players stop seeing people around them, they jump ship. It's reality of the MMO genre.

assuming old MMO genre concepts still work today, it like expecting a new FFA PvP MMO to be a smashing hit because it was popular in EvE and UO in the past. Concepts get old, and not popular anymore. 

It's the developer's job to reconize these changes and adjust accordingly. Only the amateur developers make these foolish mistakes of not observing genre culture mindset trendiness.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

This is Bull Sh!t

I agree with Zod.

Well, MJ has stated, in no unspecific terms, the game will be built for the "vast minority."  I would rather see a high subscription fee to facilitate a loyal fan base than a F2P abomination which attracts a bunch of game jumping asshats for a few weeks.

You also need to understand that the game will mainly attract old DAoC players (and when I say "old" I mean literally OLD, like myself) who were raised on subscription based games.  My guess (and it's just a guess, mind you) is that the game will be largely populated by a more mature crowd with jobs and some disposable income.

Players simply do not quit a game they enjoy because the sub fee is too high.  It just doesn't happen.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• AshumaAshuma Member Posts: 10

I don't agree with OP at all, but the flaming really isn't needed.

I'm more then willing to toss in 15/mo if it gets me something that I enjoy. As for actual cost, MJ has said flat out that it won't be 15 a month. From the way he was talking it seemed like tier 1 could be 10/mo and it goes up from there depending on what you want. My guess is something like T1 gets 3 char slots per server. T2 gets 6. Something like that could work. just guessing at this point though. 

-Ash

"The two things that are going to survive nuclear winter are going to be cockroaches and WoW." - Mark Jacobs

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The no PvE might put me off, but I will wait and see, a sub fee....Does not scare me, I prefer it. 

$15/month is throwing money away?  How much is your cable bill, phone bill....That single large pizza you had delivered?  Did 1 pizza give you more enjoyment than a month of a game?  If it did me, then I wouldn't be playing that game.

Any MMO thatI would play for free, I would pay for it....I would not waste my time on a game that was free if it sucked.  I stopped playing TOR, said if it was free to play I wouldn't play it still, it went free to play, not playing it.  I got my money out of it, and was done, no matter the price.

I wouldn't pay a sub for a lot of the games out, and I don't play them.  A subscription is the last thing I worry about, I worry about a game not sucking.  Too far away for this game to say if it will or won't suck for me.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

[mod edit]

You'd think he made a typo and was talking about 15 cents. ;)

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

The only problem OP, is that this is a niche game. It doesn't matter if  what you say is true about people jumping ship to another game. I'm sure many people will. And do you know what? WHO CARES.  The ones who enjoy it will stay and gladly pay a sub fee regardless. And i guarentee there will be AT LEAST 50k people subbed 6 months after this game releases, maybe even more. 

I don't need a million people playing a game with me. Hell, I prefer as few as possible as long as the community is alive and thriving 

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

There's no need for some people to resort to name calling and knee jerk reactions, can't we be civil?

The MMO market has changed and shifted, it's not the same as it was back in the late 90's/early 2000's.

There is a reason that many mmo's hav eshifted toward a f2p or buy once and play model. SOE itself is going toward the f2p model, and Crytek (Crysis) are moving toward this model as well.

I hope that some of you can understand, even though you yourself are willing to pay 20-50+ a month for this game, the average consumer isn't.

When you have your mmo on the market an dpeople are looking to play one, that sub fee can make or break it. When someone see's Guild wars 2, a buy once game with no sub, vs another mmo that costs 15+ a month to play, that can and does affect their purchase descision.

Free to play games help the playerbase, they don't hurt it. Those "Free players" can make the population bigger then just a sub base.

This is what Planetside 2 relies on, if they had a sub they wouldn't have as many people playing, SOE even talks about this and how a lot of the players playing aren't "paying money" but in the end all of those free players are helping enhance the game for those people that do pay, because of the healthy population and things.

In a PVP focused game populatoin is the king, it's not as fun to play a pvp game with little population and not a lot of fighting going on (That's not to say it can't be fun or memorable, as it can).

reagrdless, CU will have some kind of sub tier, according to Mark. Rather the price will be your usualy 14.95 or so we don't now yet. I would hope he'll have it competively priced, to attract people.

Also I'd like to point out, having a game have a subscription doesn't "stop" immature people from playing it. I've met plenty of immature people playing WoW, just as I have met plenty of mature peple that play "f2p" games like League of Legends.

Money has no bearing on someone's maturity.

Originally posted by Stiler

When you have your mmo on the market an dpeople are looking to play one, that sub fee can make or break it. When someone see's Guild wars 2, a buy once game with no sub, vs another mmo that costs 15+ a month to play, that can and does affect their purchase descision.

Free to play games help the playerbase, they don't hurt it. Those "Free players" can make the population bigger then just a sub base.

This is what Planetside 2 relies on, if they had a sub they wouldn't have as many people playing, SOE even talks about this and how a lot of the players playing aren't "paying money" but in the end all of those free players are helping enhance the game for those people that do pay, because of the healthy population and things.

In a PVP focused game populatoin is the king, it's not as fun to play a pvp game with little population and not a lot of fighting going on (That's not to say it can't be fun or memorable, as it can).

That's just it, free to play and buy to play games have a larger population, because they don't have to pay a subscription fee. CU isn't shooting for those numbers, as MJ and the community following the game want fewer more tight knit communities on the servers, much like we had in DAOC, therefore a subscription fee is needed since the cash shop would just have things for housing and other fluff. CU will be all about the community, with F2P and B2P games it's not.

Dark Age of Camelot

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by aWRAY

The only problem OP, is that this is a niche game. It doesn't matter if  what you say is true about people jumping ship to another game. I'm sure many people will. And do you know what? WHO CARES.  The ones who enjoy it will stay and gladly pay a sub fee regardless. And i guarentee there will be AT LEAST 50k people subbed 6 months after this game releases, maybe even more. 

I don't need a million people playing a game with me. Hell, I prefer as few as possible as long as the community is alive and thriving 

This!  This!  A thousand times, this!

And to those who continue to claim that the MMO world as evolved, changed, move on.  That the current gamer community works in a different way.  That the average gamer won't support this type of subscription based game... I agree, wholeheartedly. 

But, again, MJ has stated myriad times, this game will be for a NICHE market.  He doesn't NEED the entire community, he needs a specific type of player who is loyal to a game they enjoy.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I made a thread about lowering sub cost due to market saturation a lil while back. It just seems better to have a little bit of something than nothing. 5-9$ a month seems right.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • uberowouberowo Member Posts: 18
    I would easily pay $20 a month if this game even comes remotely close to the RvR experience I had in original DAoC.