Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 3 things to improve forum

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

1. Add in rating system and allow people to +1 peoples posts/threads but do not allow negatives just a +1 then make an alternate or replace the star rating based on people getting certain number of +1's

2. Add an option to block any specific game forums posts from showing up on the front page Current Forum Activity

3. Add in a feature that doesn't allow you to start new threads unless you have over 25 or so posts

feel these 3 would really make this a much more pleasant place and tremendously help the mods with overall cleanup

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

1. Add in rating system and allow people to +1 peoples posts/threads but do not allow negatives just a +1 then make an alternate or replace the star rating based on people getting certain number of +1's

2. Add an option to block any specific game forums posts from showing up on the front page Current Forum Activity

3. Add in a feature that doesn't allow you to start new threads unless you have over 25 or so posts

feel these 3 would really make this a much more pleasant place and tremendously help the mods with overall cleanup

This is solid.

Just how does the star rating work anyway?  seems to fluctuate on ts own.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

This is solid.

Just how does the star rating work anyway?  seems to fluctuate on ts own.

from what i heard star rating is based on # of posts as well as how long the posts are and not getting warnings and such.. think i read somewhere they have a program that scans those things and computes the rating.. might be a little off on this though but think that's what i read...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

I'm personally not wild about the plus vote system. Even though it doesn't have a negetive side I still feel it has potentile for abuse. Case in point is a certain game that was voted MMO of the year when it barely received any traffic on this site before or since. I can easily see troublemakers getting friends to vote, or just making alt accounts to do so, to artificially boost their reputation so their posts look to be better received than they actually are.

On the front page block do you mean like a filter where you pick what you see or do you mean where you can choose whether or not your own thread/post shows up on the front page?

And as I stated in another thread I think the 25 or so posts before being able to make new threads is a great idea. I'd also recommend adding a limit on how many new threads can be started by a poster in a 24 hour period.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

I'm personally not wild about the plus vote system. Even though it doesn't have a negetive side I still feel it has potentile for abuse. Case in point is a certain game that was voted MMO of the year when it barely received any traffic on this site before or since. I can easily see troublemakers getting friends to vote, or just making alt accounts to do so, to artificially boost their reputation so their posts look to be better received than they actually are.

On the front page block do you mean like a filter where you pick what you see or do you mean where you can choose whether or not your own thread/post shows up on the front page?

And as I stated in another thread I think the 25 or so posts before being able to make new threads is a great idea. I'd also recommend adding a limit on how many new threads can be started by a poster in a 24 hour period.

i mean say I never want to see a post about swtor from the swtor forums specifically.. I would select swtor on my block list and then any thread that was in the swtor forums would not show up on the recent forum activity for me or if you went to the Real-time Forum Overview page whatever game you have blocked any posts in that games forums just wouldn't show up.. 

also for the voting you could put in something like you need over 50 posts on this website to start voting... would help with people making new accounts to push someones votes up..

i mean say I never want to see a post about swtor from the swtor forums specifically.. I would select swtor on my block list and then any thread that was in the swtor forums would not show up on the recent forum activity for me or if you went to the Real-time Forum Overview page whatever game you have blocked any posts in that games forums just wouldn't show up.. 

also for the voting you could put in something like you need over 50 posts on this website to start voting... would help with people making new accounts to push someones votes up..

Yeah the filter idea sounds good then.

A post minimum might work out, but I'm still a bit unsure about it, seeing as not all troublemakers are single digit post count posters. I admit I may just be overly paranoid though.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

oh another nice feature would be if someone is on your block list even if someone quotes their post you still would not see it.. sorta defeats the purpose of a block feature when you can still see any of those peoples posts if someone else quotes them

oh another nice feature would be if someone is on your block list even if someone quotes their post you still would not see it.. sorta defeats the purpose of a block feature when you can still see any of those peoples posts if someone else quotes them

Hell yeah! That would be amazing. I'm not sure how they would go about implementing such a feature though.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Limit of 365 posts per year (call it one per day).

Doesn't limit free speech but helps keep the noise down :D

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

#1 As I said in the other thread, I'm not against being able to +1 someone's post or thread (without negatives, as you mentioned). But I don't see us altering the star rating to take this into account if we did this, but who knows. It's something to discuss for sure.

#2 We've discussed this a number of times and it doesn't look like we're going to implement this, but I'll bring it up again to see what the guys think.

#3 I'm sort of partial to this idea, but probably not at minimum threshold of 25 posts. Maybe something like 5. This would also help deal with spammers, which is a major plus.

Thanks for the feedback! It's very much appreciated.

Originally posted by TheAncient

Yeah but what about leap years? "We're sorry but due to a miscalculation you aren't allowed to make any more posts until 2035."

Originally posted by MikeB

#1 As I said in the other thread, I'm not against being able to +1 someone's post or thread (without negatives, as you mentioned). But I don't see us altering the star rating to take this into account if we did this, but who knows. It's something to discuss for sure.

#2 We've discussed this a number of times and it doesn't look like we're going to implement this, but I'll bring it up again to see what the guys think.

#3 I'm sort of partial to this idea, but probably not at minimum threshold of 25 posts. Maybe something like 5. This would also help deal with spammers, which is a major plus.

Thanks for the feedback! It's very much appreciated.

np:) 

for #2 i honestly think this would cut down on a ton of troll posts as I know some only post in certain games forums because the thread pops up on the Current Forum Activity and they feel they "need" to troll...

for #3 5 seems little low but maybe 10 or 15 but in any case would cut down a lot in spam as I noticed most spam threads are first posts by a new account

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by TheAncient

Yeah but what about leap years? "We're sorry but due to a miscalculation you aren't allowed to make any more posts until 2035."

Pardon me for being too subtle. What I'd hoped might be inferred is that the suggestions being proposed only serve those who already post in sufficient quantity.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

ive actually seen the +rating turn into a popularity contest on another site, no thank you. There is no real point to it anyway other than an epeen contest.

I do agree with your other ideas though.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson