Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar headed to be one of the biggest mmo flops? Or a success?

2»

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by achesoma

The problem is that flop or success is so subjective in the post WoW-era.  It's way too early to tell at this point.  We don't even know all the playable races or classes yet at this point.  Not to mention the huge load of other information we really don't know about this game.  And all the great features in the world don't mean squat if it's poorly executed and the game isn't fun.

The problem with this genre is that since MMOs require a fair amount of dedication and investment there is really only room for one behemoth MMO at a time. 

Theres nothing subjective about success.

If you set out, for example, to earn 100m$ in 1 year, its clear what is and what isnt success :)

So if they make $99m in 1 year then it's a failure? 

Yes its a failure. Did they make 100m$?

You mix result and success. Result doesnt have to be bad, but its a failure still.

Problem is: when you start moving goalposts you can proclaim anything you want as success (even a loss), and thats a failure in itself.

Goals have to be clearly defined and measurable, otherwise theyre meaningless.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by MargulisWildstar headed for a surprise hit or a sure flop?

Way too early to tell, it's just pure speculation at this time and people just tosses around comments and opinions based on basically nothing, lets see after the summer closer to the supposedly release day which will propably be pushed to 2014 anyway.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

My guess is that it will be a minor hit... but bear in mind that a 'minor hit' at launch after a year or so has the potentiol to be 'ghost town'.

Not a game I would recomend anyone to spend heavily in the cash shop of with NCSoft involved.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will do ok and make it's money back, and I wish it well, but in today's super cynical and hyper critical meme led faddish market I think it will likely struggle in the long term.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

From the info we have available, It seems that this game will be packed with features.

Dungens, raids, world PVP and warzones, solo player end-game content, action combat etc.

However, even if they suceed in creating an appealing, feature and content rich game, playable on wide range of PC's, how do they plan to counter the fact, that majority of playerbase will be playing the "cool and evil" Dominion faction?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by DeniZg

how do they plan to counter the fact, that majority of playerbase will be playing the "cool and evil" Dominion faction?

Is that still a thing? The majority playing the "evil" faction? I guess it was in SWTOR and WAR, but the races and storylines were plain more fun there. Hmm... To me, it's more about zone design, honestly.

As for how WildStar will fare, I agree with some that it will be a minor success. Rift-level or thereabout.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Nikopol
    Originally posted by DeniZg

how do they plan to counter the fact, that majority of playerbase will be playing the "cool and evil" Dominion faction?

Is that still a thing? The majority playing the "evil" faction? I guess it was in SWTOR and WAR, but the races and storylines were plain more fun there. Hmm... To me, it's more about zone design, honestly.

As for how WildStar will fare, I agree with some that it will be a minor success. Rift-level or thereabout.

Well, if you have to chose between humans, purple humans with bunny ears and The Thing from Fantastic 4 vs. humans, evil cats and sexy killer robots, you know what's it going to be. image

I know that there's 1 more race to be announced for each faction, but still, I don't see many people playing the Rebel faction.