Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something doesn't make sense...it was okay for Minecraft but not WarZ?

When Minecraft charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...millions of people bought it and played it. No hate.

When War Z charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...unprecendant amount of hate?

Something doesn't make sense here...

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

When Minecraft charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...millions of people bought it and played it. No hate.

When War Z charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...unprecendant amount of hate?

Difference is that WarZ is a poorly made mod that you have to pay for, Minecraft is not.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Difference is that WarZ is a poorly made mod that you have to pay for, Minecraft is not.

^ In addition, I never got the feeling Minecraft was trying to rip me off.  It also had a semblance of gameplay.  

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Dont dare to compare minecraft Alpha with the War Z 'Alpha' it got so many differences

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Minecraft wasn't a complete ripoff, didn't practise false advertisement and was sold for a reasonable price. It was pretty straight forward, you got Minecraft cheap as refined dirt from SipsCo and you were honestly told what the game featured.

War Z had tons of promises of things they would have at launch, but most where several days late. Also, they sold you the game with a special offer if you bought it in its alpha version, however the game was cheaper at launch than before. And they implemented a cashshop featuring ammo. Also microtransactions inorder to revive faster incase you die. And that was for a game you had fully paid for.

War Z is a terrible game. The Devteam is terrible. The support took up to two months before any help was offered. Silly game. Silly fans. Anyone who denies that it is a bad game is just defending their reason of purchase. Sure you could have fun in it, but don't try to pretend that it is a good game.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    For me, minecraft charging for alpah was a big turnoff.
    Having said that, minecraft has way more going for it that warz will ever have.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by dinams

Dont dare to compare minecraft Alpha with the War Z 'Alpha' it got so many differences

Minecraft alpha, that you had to buy for to play, had no multiplayer...and then they finally introduced survival multiplayer, but that was unfinished. There was almost nothing to do when it was first out (and you still had to buy it), besides creating things. Survival wasn't even in, and they were still charging for it. Not to mention the amount of bugs I encountered when survival was finally put in.

Its a lot better now, but it was in the same EXACT state as War Z currently it is. No matter how you try to sugar coat it. At least War Z has working multiplayer.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Minecraft alpha, that you had to buy for to play, had no multiplayer...and then they finally introduced survival multiplayer, but that was unfinished. There was almost nothing to do when it was first out (and you still had to buy it), besides creating things. Survival wasn't even in, and they were still charging for it. Not to mention the amount of bugs I encountered when survival was finally put in.

Its a lot better now, but it was in the same EXACT state as War Z currently it is. No matter how you try to sugar coat it. At least War Z has working multiplayer.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought Minecraft was intended to be a singleplayer buildpark from the start.

Multiplayer were only put in due fans wanted it.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

The problem people had with War Z wasn't that they were charging for beta or that it was not complete, Scav.

What doesn't make sense is how often people post without trying to do the slightest bit of research first.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/155cmf/the_warz_controversy_explanation_and_full_timeline/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

Tor, you have become a lot more... 'relaxed'.  What happened? 

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

But War Z is a launched title, Minecraft wasn't. Atleast minecraft were honest about the terrible multiplayer as well as they allowed a free demo during Beta.

Originally posted by MightyChasm

Tor, you have become a lot more... 'relaxed'.  What happened? 

Got tired of all the temp bans ;)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Are people really that desperate for a sandbox FPS with no progression that they are willing to put up with the "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" of shooters?

Yes both games were made by the same shady developer.  If thats not a sign of this games destiny i dont know what it.

From the makers of the worst game ever created comes: WarZ "riding on DayZ's success"

Edit: i take that back...these games need some form of structure, content, and metagame to be considerd a sandbox...this (and dayz) are just FPS games with a lore backdrop and no direction. Entertaining, perhaps, loosely possibly a sandbox without sand or any tools...boxes i guess we could call them.  Not knocking the idea of FFA FPS games with zombies and guns or anything just calling it what it is.

But this is clearly a half assed attempt to rush a game out in order to snag a bit of DayZ's crowd.  Really a downright horrid game by all accounts. They even managed to make it worse as a standalone game that WarZ is than a arma2 mod that dayZ was...even jacking the Z at the end to add confusion so people would think they are getting a standalone dayz.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Because Minecraft was a brilliant concept and people were happy to support it.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by asrlohz

When Minecraft charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...millions of people bought it and played it. No hate.   When War Z charged for alpha, and being a very unfinished and buggy product...unprecendant amount of hate?   Something doesn't make sense here...

Minecraft wasn't a complete ripoff, didn't practise false advertisement and was sold for a reasonable price. It was pretty straight forward, you got Minecraft cheap as refined dirt from SipsCo and you were honestly told what the game featured.

War Z had tons of promises of things they would have at launch, but most where several days late. Also, they sold you the game with a special offer if you bought it in its alpha version, however the game was cheaper at launch than before. And they implemented a cashshop featuring ammo. Also microtransactions inorder to revive faster incase you die. And that was for a game you had fully paid for.

War Z is a terrible game. The Devteam is terrible. The support took up to two months before any help was offered. Silly game. Silly fans. Anyone who denies that it is a bad game is just defending their reason of purchase. Sure you could have fun in it, but don't try to pretend that it is a good game.

Sadly this is ALL absolutely true!
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Mojang were upfront with what content you were paying for.  They also actively and agressively updated the game (for such a small team...particularly at first when it was mostly just Notch).  You always knew what was coming, and what your money was doing.  He did not lie to you, he did not cheat you, and he sold something new...magical.  Even in its infancy the game was a groundbreaking concept, one that pushed itself into the stratosphere with survival and multiplayer.  They were also VERy community focused and community friendly.

The War Z is absolutely none of the things I mentioned above.  Its the antithesis of those thing, in fact.  Thats why its okay for Mojang to do what they did and The War Z not.  I didn't think it was all the complex, really.  My 3 year old could probably work the logic on that out.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Minecraft was a good game, even in beta and kept getting better.

WarZ, well, to put it nicely, hasn't. This is where I would normally bash on WarZ, but at this point, it's a bit like kicking the retarded kid. If the kid (WarZ) is happy not crapping in the bed and greeting people at Walmart, then hell, I'm happy for it.