Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blog #37: If I Had a Hammer

MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

If I Had a Hammer

Crafting:

• Gathering, Crafting, and Gear Progression
  • Salvaging, Looting, Harvesting, and Gathering
  • Refining
  • Crafting and Enchanting
  • Quality and Color
  • Threading and Powerful Items

Comments

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

One thing i would like with crafting, that seems to be overlooked often...is a crafting template system.

Rather than crafting a low level item that has one look, or a high level items with one look, to have template designs, armor looks, that can then be crafted to be either high or low quality depending on materials (and perhaps level of the craft skill).

Darkfall has this now, and i love it.  I always hated how some awesome looking gear in game wasnt usable, not because i couldnt wear it, but because some designer decided that a really ugly looking pice of gear would be better for me.

To expand on this, i think it would be fantasic to add extrmely rare template drops around the world, perhaps making some seasonal and thus even harder to find...or even limited time drops.  This would add an extra layer to crafting and the economy making crafters who aquire a larger selections of looks highly saught after, and giving crafter something extra to look for when not crafting.

Doesnt seem the game has it, seems it will be going after predefined looks tied directly to gear quaility...either way im not much of a crafter, but a system like this might change that.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I suspect they are nowhere near that sort of graphical detail - in fact the blog mentions they still have a lot design blogs to get through (already queued) before showing some of the concept sketches -> in-game graphics.

Likely it's not something that will be either ready or necessary at the early enrollment either (pace of levelling). I presume something like modding/in-game app store for players to create these things would be the best bet for everyone invested in these sorts of elaborations?

It's a bit like the request for a full on minecraft-style "recepy" system for producing different materials in a window by combinations of mixing and matching and "aligning". To add that within a "factory" system is just going for even more granular detail. Resources of time/money in development have to add as many cool features as possible but not at the risk to the full systems interactions.But yeah, +1 would be cool and one for the future - by players for players.