Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Posts Are Getting Ridiculous

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Odaman
    People are bound to get excited when they think they're being listened to as a niche market. Especially when they've been an afterthought in most recent MMOs. I don't think most people here think everything else this year will suck, unless you mean mmos... though ESO may come out this year so I wouldn't even go that far. 

Yes. And the more interenet-smart producers know this full well and try to use it to their advantage. The best hype is that which is generated by the fans..and it's free.

You won't see many kickstarter MMO proposals say things like "We want to be just like WOW and have quest hubs and instances." Most mention the "S" word instead. Why? Because they are fully aware of the anti-themepark theoretical development that goes on in fan forums where sandbox is synonymous with "good."

Someone else mentioned Dominus which was the previous "son of DAoC" until it got scrapped... I downloade that client and participated in a weekend event...it was very rough around the edges. Now we have 2: one ready to start beta very soon that seems quite polished, and another one way, way farther down the line that exists mostly in MJ's head. I wish them both well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Father_Jack

I say who cares, let people get excited if they want. Who does it hurt? Why should it bother anyone? I'm more bothered by all the haters, who just want to attack others, and put othrs down.

People are freaking out over the next planned Star Wars trilogy, not even in production. That doesn't mean they aren't going to see a bunch of  movies coming out this year. People can have multiple interests.  It's human nature to get excited about stuff. It's like buying a lotery ticket, I think people just like to dream a bit.

It can hurt the game. Over-hype is just as bad as under-hype.

Hey it worked for GW2 and D3. 

The hype will last until the kickstarter ends anyway. This game will have a real beta not just a few hours for 3 weekends like GW2 or up to level 13 like D3, but the whole game and 24/7 for months. We will know if it's overhyped or not long before release.

Right now the hype is needed to help with the kickstarter. I don't know of any other game that asked for ~$2 mil and got it.

Just one recent example, Uber Entertainment got around $2.3 million for Planetary Annihilation and were only seeking $900,000.   Granted they weren't seeking 2 mil and got 2 mil, but 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  It's certainly doable is my point.

Steam: Neph

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    Originally posted by meddyck
    You know what's ridiculous? Posts like the OP's from people who don't care about or just want to trash CU. Hasn't everybody heard of the concept of, "If you don't like it, stop reading about it"? Who's forcing you to click on CU posts? Nobody. So just go away.

His point is that the forums is cluttered with this game thats all talk and speculation. Now you sir go kindly walk away

What happened to Daoc anyways ?....Do all the X-Daoc players still play Warhammer ?

more food for thought

If over a million players bought AOC , why did only 50 k buy TSW?

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    You know what's ridiculous? Posts like the OP's from people who don't care about or just want to trash CU. Hasn't everybody heard of the concept of, "If you don't like it, stop reading about it"? Who's forcing you to click on CU posts? Nobody. So just go away.

In no way did I trash CU.  How can I, it doesn't exist.

Regarding being forced to click on CU posts, I don't click on them but when I stop by this site throughout the day, all I see in the forum activity section are CU posts which at this point are completely useless considering that the game doesn't have a single line of code written yet.

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Lately I cringe everytime I visit this website due to the completely delusional hype and constant posts about a game that doesn't even exist.

Mark Jacobs writes a blog with some really great ideas, most of which I completely agree with but that's it, there's no game yet and until we actually see these ideas at work, there's really not much to discuss or get hyped about.

What's really funny is that many of these CU zealots seem to have already made up their minds that the games coming out this year are going to suck, yet they will bow at the altar of Camelot Unchained after reading a few blog posts.  

I understand that people are yearning for something new but let's focus on games that are at least in production.

I agree, enough of this abomination known as optimism.  I say we go back to our ground state which is discussing the minute details, at great length, at why GW2, Tor, etc suck.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Well I for one think the weapon vendor's boots should be leather shined black rather than blue.

Black boots are what gamers really want and it's up to CU to deliver this.  Blue boots are sooo 2006.

(a post parody)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    I learned long ago that fanboys don't know what they want. The more devs listen to fanboys the worse off they are.

BINGO.

I agree with this completely. And its not just the fanboys, most people don't know what they want. Devs listening to their playerbase is the worst thing ever. As a niche game, I hope MJ won't ever listen to the people here, a least most of them.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I understand that people are yearning for something new but let's focus on games that are at least in production.

What, you want us to hold your hand?  Go on ahead, nobody is stopping you.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Lately I cringe everytime I visit this website due to the completely delusional hype and constant posts about a game that doesn't even exist.

Mark Jacobs writes a blog with some really great ideas, most of which I completely agree with but that's it, there's no game yet and until we actually see these ideas at work, there's really not much to discuss or get hyped about.

What's really funny is that many of these CU zealots seem to have already made up their minds that the games coming out this year are going to suck, yet they will bow at the altar of Camelot Unchained after reading a few blog posts.  

I agree, enough of this abomination known as optimism.  I say we go back to our ground state which is discussing the minute details, at great length, at why GW2, Tor, etc suck.

"You fargin sneaky bastage"  - Roman Moroni

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

In no way did I trash CU.  How can I, it doesn't exist.

Regarding being forced to click on CU posts, I don't click on them but when I stop by this site throughout the day, all I see in the forum activity section are CU posts which at this point are completely useless considering that the game doesn't have a single line of code written yet.

I think that says a lot for CU and the ideas for the mmo, and the confidence people have that it can be a good Tri-Realm mmorpg. People want an mmo like CU. I think it's great that a game that a lot of us have been wishing and waiting for, for years, by the former creator of DOAC, and so hyped up, mind you it's not even in production yet, may finally come to life.

The only problem is people that don't understand it's not an mmorpg for everyone, and they are also for some odd reason jealous that the game is so hyped up by players and it's not even started yet. People more excited for it than games that are coming out this year and the next. That should tell a lot right there, people are sick of the typical WoW cloned themepark mmo's, we want mmo's like the ones that got is into mmo's to begin with. I'm glad MJ and his crew see that and are going for their vision for CU.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We have discussion forums for a reason. If you aren't interested in a particular discussion, no one is forcing you to partake in it. Locking this.
This discussion has been closed.