Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide between priest and paladin

DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41

I'm new to the game and I'm not sure which to go.  I really enjoy healing and these two classes jumped out at me.  Yes, I'm aware that druid and shaman both heal as well, but they didn't really interest me right now.

I'm looking for a character that can quest solo if necessary and support in a dungeon (and raid later perhaps).  In other MMO's I've played quite a few roles.  In SWTOR one of my favorite classes was a Sage, which I loved.  I've also played tanks and healers in other mmos as well.  

I'm also concerned that paladins might be a bit overplayed?  

All in all I'm looking for someone that is survivable and desired on a team.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    I would say that paladin would be a good bet, as you can dps, tank,a nd heal with that one character based on your speccing. With priest it is more gearred healing (direct high output healing,  or shielding damage reduction healing.), while having a dps specc in shadow. 
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Right now there are two toons that get in groups fast, tanks and healers, I would say Priest if you like healing and want to get in groups.  Just beware, you better be good at it or you will get a bad rap across realms.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Thanks for the advice.  I'll do my best to be "good" but I'm new to the game so I'm sure I won't be good right out of the shoot.  Should I start doing dungeons ASAP?
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by DeathStroke

I'm new to the game and I'm not sure which to go.  I really enjoy healing and these two classes jumped out at me.  Yes, I'm aware that druid and shaman both heal as well, but they didn't really interest me right now.

I'm looking for a character that can quest solo if necessary and support in a dungeon (and raid later perhaps).  In other MMO's I've played quite a few roles.  In SWTOR one of my favorite classes was a Sage, which I loved.  I've also played tanks and healers in other mmos as well.  

I'm also concerned that paladins might be a bit overplayed?  

All in all I'm looking for someone that is survivable and desired on a team.

Thanks in advance.

I really recommend the priest class for you if you enjoyed the Sage. Paladins are a lot more like melee Mercs/Commandos.

It really depends on whether you want to be a heavy armour wearer with very little ranged abilities, or a ranged dps in light armour.

Priests get a nice bubble and some armour buffs + DoTs and ranged spells. They have some crowd control abilities too, namely slow downs, fears, etc. They get some cool flashy spells like levitate. They are also rarer than paladins, but don't get turned off by that, it is a really good class.

Paladins get a bubble as well but not as frequently castable. As far as I know, they have less cc than priests do, but they can tank very well if you go protection spec. In that sense, they are more flexible. However, you will have to be careful with gearchoice because tanking gear is not the same as dps or healing gear (not much different, but you will want to have a larger mana pool as a healer than as a tank).

Both are fantastic healers and buffers. Both are highly desirable in groups/raids, both can solo, both are viable. Maybe try both and see which one you prefer ?

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

How do you want to DPS? casting? chose priest, meele? chose paladin.

Do you want to be able to tank? chose paladin.

Priest is very close to what a sage is, so if you enjoyed that, play priest.

Paladin is the most played class, yes, but if you go healer or tank, it doesnt really matter that much.  Only for gear rolls really, since alot of people play plate classes.

Have you thought about a monk?  They can also dps/heal/tank.  I havent played since before MoP so i couldnt tell you much about them though.

Dont worry about Solo, everything solos fine in this game. 

• DeathStrokeDeathStroke Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Thanks alot for all the replies, I really appreciate the insight and advice.  Given that a Sage and Priest are similar, I think I'll give that a shot but keep Paladin in mind for tanking later.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by DeathStroke
    Thanks alot for all the replies, I really appreciate the insight and advice.  Given that a Sage and Priest are similar, I think I'll give that a shot but keep Paladin in mind for tanking later.

You might enjoy a protection warrior too, so don't count that one out. They have a lot going for them too.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Not sure if Paladin is all that played in MoP.  In Wrath it was the most popular class, but I hardly ever see a Paladin in a LFG/LFR in MoP.  In fact, I don't think I've ever been partied with a paladin tank this expansion, nor have I seen a retribution paladin.  Holy paladins I see on the rare occassion.

In terms of DPS, paladin still has an annoying rotation that relies heavily on burst every few minutes as well as multiple upkeep buffs that only last a few seconds, and several proc abilities.  Many download a mod to tell them when to use abilities it gets so out of hand at times.  Granted it's a lot better than it was during cataclysm what with how they made it so you can't use Templar's Verdict without having three holy power (less to manage, slightly), but it's still pretty bad.

Paladins are also in a fairly bad place with PvP at the moment as well, with Blizzard trying to fix them in 5.2.  In their last post regarding paladins, they mentioned that they were unable to fix what players were complaining about in the next patch, saying they will try again.

When playing solo they're still a pretty strong class, especially as retribution.  You will have an easier time leveling a paladin than a priest.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543
    if you want some flexibility, Paladin is not a bad choice, it can be tank, heals. or dps

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Paladin is a great all rounder

But I read what you wrote and if you loved your sage then a priest while isn't a mirror, is possibly more suited to your tastes.

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

depends what you are soloing. a priest can solo as far as questing goes. I would recommend going shadow spec for it, just because it goes a lot faster by multi-dotting. though  you can't get dual talent specialization until level 30. so you would have to respec if you plan to heal dungeons.