Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

1234568»

Comments

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I don't think there will be any new big MMORPGs, at least not WoW big.

If any MMORPG in the next 5 years has a steady 2 million paying customers, I will be surprised.

In my opinion, market is gravitating towards arena-based and similar quick-play gaming sessions, not to mention huge number (and rising!) browser based freemium games which consume much of many gamer's time.

EDIT: All of this shouldn't even concern many, because for example - I don't really need a BIG MMORPG to enjoy it (sadly, low production values on "smaller" ones tend to push me away)

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

The game will need to be PRETTY good. Arent WildStar, Everquest Next, and Elder Scrolls Online set to release this year barring delays? (Which, I dont think should be expected from EQN or ESO at this point. Mainly EQN, because its being blackboxed.)

EQN and ESO will already have a head start even if their game is as good. And admittingly, if all 3 games came out the same week, unless I was blown away in open beta, I'd give those two their fair shots first on name alone.

• C_GlassC_Glass Member CommonPosts: 29
    No, it will be a decent game that will be met with moderate success and a F2P conversation down the pipe. This hype lomotive needs to be derailed mustached cartoon-villain style. Blow the tracks up with dynamite and let us moderate our expectations of a game for once, geesh. 
  • ForkInSocketForkInSocket Member Posts: 4

If the next big MMO isn't actually an FPS (heresy, I know), I think Wildstar's got a good shot. For a couple of reasons:

1) Humor. Wildstar has it. The 2013 competition won't.

2) Sci-Fi setting, with fantasy-stlye gameplay and hints of steampunk. It's not that people are tired of horses, castles, and Thees and Thous, but for those that are, it's a welcome change of pace. The universe is inviting.

3) High production values, and strong identity. Already very well polished in closed beta, Wildstar seems to know exactly what it is and wants to be.

4) Strong core development team with major MMO veteran devs.

Neverwinter, Elder Scrolls, EQ Next. They might all be fine games, but they're really nothing new either. Wildstar feels fresh. I'd say it 's got as good a shot as any.