Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cantha expansion and asian themed content 'banned' for cultural reasons

2»

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Keeping it up their sleeve for Cantha expansion is all.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it is a shame they edited this,i loved the various race .why remove it completly gees.there was no real life name that i know of !and who cares if some area are based off asia or affrica or greece!i think this was a mistake ,it will probably hurt arenamet in the long run!

stop listening to ncsoft asia.there is a reason you were number 2 for a while (just behind wow)it is because you took the decision!not ncsoft!if people wanted an ncsoft title we would play lineage 2 or aion not gw2!if gw2 is just an ncsoft title and not an actual arenanet title then i dont know why i baught gw2!dont get me wrong,i love ncsoft but i think they have to stop interferring with arenanet.arenanet is considered seperate from ncsoft in term of gw2.everytime ncsoft try have their say in arenanet gw2 they hurt the franchise!and arenanet dont go ask ncsoft .you did gw1 pulling ncsoft with a titanum chain (figurativly speaking)the whole way to the success it was.so i dont sweat it your choice will be awsome for gw2 and the gaming comunity.i know for you guys its hard since you have to go to ncsoft for aion.but it is very important to split those in 2 other wise we just end up with aion a and aion b .and i dont want gw2 to be aion a or b

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Maephisto

This is interesting.  I wonder the reasoning behind this.  I spent a number of years in Korea and Thailand, there was a sense that the host nation populace didnt quite enjoy the presence of other cultures (specifically western).  This sense of unwelcoming came mostly from the college age crowd. 

Was Pandaria well recieved in the East?

If Asians dont like "culture mixing" how can someone explain engrish?

Apparently, the majority of the 400k sub decline came from the East (as per Blizzard's claims), so it would seem that indeed, they don't like Asian themes from western developers.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by Maephisto

This is interesting.  I wonder the reasoning behind this.  I spent a number of years in Korea and Thailand, there was a sense that the host nation populace didnt quite enjoy the presence of other cultures (specifically western).  This sense of unwelcoming came mostly from the college age crowd. 

Was Pandaria well recieved in the East?

If Asians dont like "culture mixing" how can someone explain engrish?

Apparently, the majority of the 400k sub decline came from the East (as per Blizzard's claims), so it would seem that indeed, they don't like Asian themes from western developers.

I'm not surprised by this to be honest; it is all kung fu panda’s and pagodas. 

If my entire culture and everyone within it (UK) was reduced down to some bumbling aristocratic prat; a genial cockney chimneysweep; and a well-spoken, megalomaniac, multi-purpose villain I would also be pissed off.  Oh hang on that already happens in Hollywood. 

Originally posted by jtcgs

I actually thought the change was great...there is nothing in the game world to indicate there SHOULD be an asian section...where are the "asians" in the game?!?

This is supposed to be a FANTASY game based on ANOTHER WORLD...why the hell would there be any real world cultures depicted in the first place!

Hey wait, Where is little italy?!? Wait! No German town?...the city I live in has all of those so why not GW2!

/cries a river

.. yet there's medieval towns and pirates.

I do agree, however, that an asian theme would look very out of place (as it does in that screenshot).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    no big surprise there, there are multiple ways in which they didn't deliver what they promised the fans.

Nice straw man you have there.  There was never any promise regarding Cantha...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
     This is really dumb of NcSoft. People really liked Cantha and Elona back in the original game and for fans to be deprived of them now is totally insane. 
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Guild Wars: Factions was considered one of the best PvP expansions of the game by many people, in addition to having some of the hardest content available.  It's sad to see it go if we don't get to see it.

There are actually quite a few asian people in Guild Wars 2 as it is; specifically those who hail from Cantha in Divinity's Reach and those who say they have an ancestor from there via their in game dialog.  Indeed, there are also several human faces that look fairly asian.

The Imperial Throne and what happened in Guild Wars: Beyond, Winds of Change sparked an extreme interest in what to expect from Cantha in the future.  With the purist and xenophobic new empire that would arise from its ashes; the people who revere the Dragons that they named their very empire out of it.

http://www.guildwars.com/windsofchange/

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Guild Wars: Factions was considered one of the best PvP expansions of the game by many people, in addition to having some of the hardest content available.  It's sad to see it go if we don't get to see it.

Good PvP and difficulty are not tied to any in-game culture though.  I can understand if people miss the architecture etc., but aesthetics typically don't alter anything about the gameplay itself.  Having said that, I did like Cantha a lot more than Elona... this will just mean that ANet can't rest on their laurels and simply recreate content, they'll have to think of something new.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I actually thought the change was great...there is nothing in the game world to indicate there SHOULD be an asian section...where are the "asians" in the game?!?

This is supposed to be a FANTASY game based on ANOTHER WORLD...why the hell would there be any real world cultures depicted in the first place!

Hey wait, Where is little italy?!? Wait! No German town?...the city I live in has all of those so why not GW2!

/cries a river

I do agree, however, that an asian theme would look very out of place (as it does in that screenshot).

...yet not medieval, just basic buildings that carry over...as for pirates...they had pirates in China, Japan, Africa. Its a universal because of what a pirate is, someone that steals/kills on the waters, so if there is water on another world, there can be pirates. Now if you want to get into the "look", ok sure lets do that. Gan Ning, a pirate king in China...had a feather in his cap...thats some 2000 years ago. Its something that can be found with pirates all over the world and in different time periods.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

P

I

I had never noticed a hole. this in the human city right?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

/cries a river

...yet not medieval, just basic buildings that carry over...as for pirates...they had pirates in China, Japan, Africa. Its a universal because of what a pirate is, someone that steals/kills on the waters, so if there is water on another world, there can be pirates. Now if you want to get into the "look", ok sure lets do that. Gan Ning, a pirate king in China...had a feather in his cap...thats some 2000 years ago. Its something that can be found with pirates all over the world and in different time periods.

Outstanding how you cite examples from Earth's history as proof that they can be extraterrestrial :D

The medieval buildings are far from basic, they're very specific European medieval castles & town houses, watchtowers etc.

They're basic to YOU, because you've been raised as such. Buildings from the same time period in other parts of the world look nothing like this.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

P.S. just curious: Greece is not Europe?

Nope, Grease is the word... :groan:

Sorry, some puns should be left untapped.

Or as some comic said "what is a Greek anyway?  A Turk pretending to be an Italian".