Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, 1.7 hit.

There seems to be a majority who dislike the FFA OPVP aspects of the 2 of 6 Ilum missions.

A new reputation grind.

Many seem to be unhappy with the Darkmoon Faire aspect in regard to rewards from the event.

The GTN got a sucker punch.

The repair fix is wildly unpopular. (Appears to be based on the sale price of equipment, not augs or what-not [wear your PVP gear])

New quick travel ship thingy introduced, but bugged out 3 ways till Sunday.

DId I miss anything? (I guess the new cartel shop mega purchaseable gambling things)

What do you think of the new patch?

Personally, I think it probably helped renew Sub's interest, but did not prevent FTP churn. (Most of this stuff is endgame)

I dunno, I guess underwhelming for the wait (leaked in August), but at least fun in the controversioalness of Illum.

I guess it's going to be weeks of, "Wait till Makeb hits, then things will turn around."

Looking for all feedback, but especially that of those who still play.

*edit, revamped Ilum leaked in August, not June.

Comments

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

1.7 seems to be stable, and has largely been received well by the community. I haven't experienced the bug you speak of with the new shuttle to ship travel option.

The new reputation system is a grind, but it offers some world pvp options on Ilum so I think it is a good thing. For the PVEer there are reputations opportunites in section x and on voss.

The good thing about the grind on section 8 is that it's a zone that I do once a week for black hole gear, so it's not really a grind to me since I won't be doing it everyday.

I think the game is improving and headed in a positive direction.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Ahnog

1.7 seems to be stable, and has largely been received well by the community. I haven't experienced the bug you speak of with the new shuttle to ship travel option.

The new reputation system is a grind, but it offers some world pvp options on Ilum so I think it is a good thing. For the PVEer there are reputations opportunites in section x and on voss.

The good thing about the grind on section 8 is that it's a zone that I do once a week for black hole gear, so it's not really a grind to me since I won't be doing it everyday.

I think the game is improving and headed in a positive direction.

To head in a positive direction, if would have to have been at an undesireable state in the past ...

But you always say the game was perfect and never needed change ..

/confuse

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I think the Ilum event is awesome. It's was high time that they put something in there to rekindle some open world PVP there. Most of the complaints about it is from PVE players who don't understand how open world PVP works. They think that since there are dailies that there should be rules in place to allow people to easily do them. Doesn't work that way in PVP. If they want to avoid PVP on Ilum all they have to do is complete the PVE quests, don't use any AOE attacks and stay away from the center of the map. It's not that hard. Plus the gear at the vendor is orange gear with no stats, so neither side has an advantagge with the gear. It's purely cosmetic. 

The reputation system is fine. It's really just another end game grind which I guess is fine for the achievment type players.Plus it's a legacy wide system.

The big letdown was the surprise rise in repair costs which makes zero sense.Players are complaining about wipes costing more than 80k when it used to be only 15k. All this will do is discourage players from OPS which would be disasterous. It also hurts newer players because few few people are going to have the patience teaching someone how to run a FP or OP if they know that a mistake costs them mad credits.  There was a recent dev response that they are looking into fixing this, but no word on WHY the change was made in the first place. They need to change this ASAP or else. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I think the Ilum event is awesome. It's was high time that they put something in there to rekindle some open world PVP there. Most of the complaints about it is from PVE players who don't understand how open world PVP works. They think that since there are dailies that there should be rules in place to allow people to easily do them. Doesn't work that way in PVP. If they want to avoid PVP on Ilum all they have to do is complete the PVE quests, don't use any AOE attacks and stay away from the center of the map. It's not that hard. Plus the gear at the vendor is orange gear with no stats, so neither side has an advantagge with the gear. It's purely cosmetic. 

The reputation system is fine. It's really just another end game grind which I guess is fine for the achievment type players.Plus it's a legacy wide system.

The big letdown was the surprise rise in repair costs which makes zero sense.Players are complaining about wipes costing more than 80k when it used to be only 15k. All this will do is discourage players from OPS which would be disasterous. It also hurts newer players because few few people are going to have the patience teaching someone how to run a FP or OP if they know that a mistake costs them mad credits.  There was a recent dev response that they are looking into fixing this, but no word on WHY the change was made in the first place. They need to change this ASAP or else. 

to rekindle the interest in PVP the first thing they'd have to do is make it a bit more interesting, and its not something that SW;TOR does all that well, so i don't really see player focus moving away from the PVE aspects of the game, but yes making OPs more expensive is not a positive move, as its 100 % of the endgame from what i've experienced so far. image

(1)

Reputation works great in other games, and it serves as a form of character advancement with little investment from devs, beyond creating the interface, database entries, and mob / quest tags .. Other areas too, but the big investment is in the initial setup.

It's fun for players (IMO) and addes a metric to guage progression & time spent.  No problem there.

My issue is with how EA designed their reputation, introducing weekly caps.  Very unrealistic, and very transparent that EA wants to drag out earning reputation as long as possible before new ones go in.  Other games impose limits, but do so in a less obvious manner.

EA's style breaks immersion.   If I do a whole slew of great deads for an organization, but then have to artificially wait before I can turn in more trophies, that to me is very silly.

I could think of other ways to do this, such as limiting artivity chains (1 part of the chain per week?, "Our scouts are researching the blueprints you found, come back later"), or simply reserving some reputations to dailies only (non legacy, see below).  It's all in the presentation of how limits get masked, and I find the current method immersion breaking.

As for reputations being account-global, I have mixed feelings.  An interesting approach, but alts shouldn't get the full amount.  10% would be better - not 100%, for instance.  Maybe even the lesser % to family members in a Legacy, getting recognition through bloodlines.  Getting full rep on noobie characters is rediculous.

(2)

It likely will get changed again, but probably more of a pawn shop negotiation style.  Not where it used to be, but somewhere in the middle, I'd bet.  EA is not in the habit of giving into demands, but they might compromise, a bit.  EA takes an excessive amount of time to go through all their own red-tape, so any any change made ASAP would be highly unlikely.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Karteli

To head in a positive direction, if would have to have been at an undesireable state in the past ...

/confuse

To head in a positive direction all that's required is that there be a direction.

Even a perfect game -- were such a thing even possible -- could not remain perfect for long without change.

Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by Karteli

/confuse

To head in a positive direction all that's required is that there be a direction.

Even a perfect game -- were such a thing even possible -- could not remain perfect for long without change.

Except you speak for Ahnog.  Your point is noted though.

And really though, was SWTOR changing before?  It seems the same game it was a year ago, just new zones.  Although now there is reputations, and a cash shop.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

We have had a pretty good time with the Ilum bosses as well. If you get a chance to take a run at them, I highly recomend Xeno, he has his own instance. I also do agree that the repair cost rise is silly beyond belief.

As far as rep goes, I really like the rep being account wide so that I do not have to grind on a alt if I do not want to. Having a choice on which toon to run the quests with is pretty nice. The result of the quests is an item so you can run a lot one week and just do a turn in on the second. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I almost thought you were talking about the number of players mythos that we kept hearing about when it was a sub game when I read your title.

So trouble in paradise still? One of my friends plays this he's not really impressed.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I almost thought you were talking about the number of players mythos that we kept hearing about when it was a sub game when I read your title.

So trouble in paradise still? One of my friends plays this he's not really impressed.

That irony escaped me. Kind of amusing.

Apparently there is another bug that companions can;t equip Gree gear.

Probably an oversight if you ask me.

I still looking for feedback. Kind of meh for the wait, but a bit unusual, which can be good. I still think they need to up the pace, but not likely to happen till post Makeb if at all.

The repair cost thing is odd. Is it to fight inflation, retard progression, a piss-poor "fix", or steer people to the cartel shop?

I don't think anyone is sure yet, but I get the impression a lot of people would like to hear some sort of explanation from Bioware.

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129

so where the fuck is the cathar?

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by bakabröd

so where the fuck is the cathar?

I don't know.

Here's a tease from 2010 showing the same damn cathat art asset. http://www.swtor-life.com/tag/ship-customization/

Thay implied in the summer that they were ready to go.

Maybe they're holding on to them for a lull in either content or cartel sales?

They are going to be in the cartel shop, and they've stated that their sales will determine if they will make others.

Again, I don't know. Maybe they have clipping issues up the ass. Hard to say. Everything they've released, or will soonish, is still backlogged content from pre-layoffs.

The new expansion even contains the OP "Scum and Villany" which was datamined in Feb. of 2012.

Maybe they have nothing made since the layoffs. Maybe they're meting out unreleased content at a rate so the smaller team can continue releasing content of new content post Makeb.

Maybe they need to hold onto some sort of trump card to keep EA off their back? I dunno.

Perhaps the Cathar are SWTOR's version of WAR's Skaven. Time will tell.

One thing is for sure, they weren't advertized as part of 1.7, and they didn't make a surprise apperance in 1.7.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Just lol.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The big letdown was the surprise rise in repair costs which makes zero sense.

My assumption is that someone thought that if they (EA) increased repair costs then players would have to spend more time grinding creds to cover the bills ... so people will spend more time in game .... increasing the average player numbers. And more players in theory translates to more "opportunities" to buy stuff.

My underlying assumption in fact is that anything and everything they do currently is based on things they believe will generate revenue. Game improvements will be accidental!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by gervaise1

The big letdown was the surprise rise in repair costs which makes zero sense.

My assumption is that someone thought that if they (EA) increased repair costs then players would have to spend more time grinding creds to cover the bills ... so people will spend more time in game .... increasing the average player numbers. And more players in theory translates to more "opportunities" to buy stuff.

My underlying assumption in fact is that anything and everything they do currently is based on things they believe will generate revenue. Game improvements will be accidental!

There is going to be fix for repair cost at next scheduled maintenance.

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA) | 02.20.2013, 09:34 AM
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your feedback on the changes to repair costs introduced with Game Update 1.7. Upon review, we agree with you that repair costs did become too high with this latest Game Update. To that end, we will be making a change to how these repair costs are calculated, starting with our next scheduled maintenance. Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself. Players will see a noticeable reduction immediately after the change goes in.

Additionally, we’d like to apologize for the inconvenience that we introduced.

As a thank you for your patience during this time, we will also be reducing ALL repair costs by 50% once the aforementioned change goes in with the next scheduled maintenance. This will last all the way through until early access to Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches.

Your feedback is important to us, and we hope that this resolution alleviates the repair costs concerns. Thanks again for your patience.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    deleted  - made new post for PvP changes.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E