Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will they make money?

UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

This is a weird one I am sure, but my concern here is how they will make this profitable.

The extra inventory, and the ability to rename/color them is great, but after that?

As one of the few games that I really wanted to support I found myself lacking in the options to do so!

We all hate the P2W games and PoE has taken this into account, for real.

There is no real edge to giving them money, aside from the above stated ones.

The "fluff" is great, but even that is limited.

Aside from d2lod I feel this is the best game to have hit this genre period!

Proof of that is in the above statement.

In a weird friggin twitch I have this game, that I want to support, but that is not really giving me a way to do so.

Expand player inventory ( carry ) by one row, 10$?

XP potions? ( Yes I know this defeats the not p2w portion ) But at least sell them on HC?

We are all goin to loose our HC character at some point anyway, just look at Kripp!

Actually XP potions in HC would probably kill us, as our gear to mob/lvl would decrease and land us in areas we could not handle, but I would be OK with that.

But really G3, the one flaw in your plan, for what I consider an awesome game, is the lack of giving us options to repay you!

Hands up if you have had this discussion in your skype/ts/vent!

"Yeah, I really like this so I bought this flaming sword thingy just to support them".

This is incredibly rare so please do not go EA/BLIZZ on us, you have done a good thing, but you took it to far in the other direction.

Considerations?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Think to yourself:

"How much is this game worth?"

Click the https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase buttons until that amount in your head is reached.  For me the thought process went as follows:

Ok, I've been playing PoE off and on for over a year now and enjoying my time while helping them improve the game through bug reports and skill feedback.  The developers have not only responded directly to my concerns on the forums and in private messages, but I have seen bullet points in patch notes corresponding to some of the feedback I and others have discussed on the beta forums.  Never seen this level of interaction from a development team before when I beta tested.

I typically spend 50-60$ purchasing a box game and usually get between 1-3 months of entertainment.  I have no aversion to subscription games, and happily fork over 15$ each month for a worthy experience (been long time since worthy sub game came out).  An easy comparison: I spent 60$ buying D3 and found myself through with it after a few weeks of substanial playtime (around 200+ hours).  I was satisfied with that purchase and used it as the basis of my first donation to GGG.

50$ for stash tabs and a weapon effect has added much enjoyment to my time in PoE through convenience of extra storage and cosmetic fluff.  They have mentioned additional armor effects, spell effects, etc. are being developed and I look forward to supporting them again in the future if I am still playing.  I feel that I have low-balled them a bit with 50$, but there are many concerns I have with the balance of melee combat, lacking dagger/claw/2h sword+axe skills, lack of power charge generation beside power siphon and voll's protector, lacking party loot options, FPS lag in parties with multiple projectile spam, desync, etc.

It's simple for me- As I see the game improve further, I will feel comfortable further supporting the developers with additional donations.  Bonus will be the fact I can obtain cosmetic fluff and account convenience through the money I would typically be spending on subscription fees.  If you are enjoying your time in-game, support these well-deserving developers (even if nothing currently in the cash shop appeals to you).

As for the suggested XP potions and inventory expansion, I'm not keen on either.  Leveling in the game can move at a stunningly fast pace- try your hand in a race event and be amazed at the pace some run.  Just takes experience and determination.  Personally, I prefer to take my time and enjoy the ride when not racing.  The inventory is limited as a design choice to create loot tension from what I gather.  Don't see that choice being comprimised any time soon.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I'm sure they'll add more fluff as the game will be closing in to the released state.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I think many people just want to support GGG and the job they have done.They raised over $2 mill. before open beta hit.I treated it as a regular game and bought the $50 bronze pack when it was offered.The points were used on premium stash tabs,those things are handy.Down the road I may buy points here and there just to support them.

If somehow they need to raise some cash I'm sure they will let the community know,and i'm positive the community will overwhelmingly respond in a postive way.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Slappy1

I think many people just want to support GGG and the job they have done.They raised over $2 mill. before open beta hit.I treated it as a regular game and bought the $50 bronze pack when it was offered.The points were used on premium stash tabs,those things are handy.Down the road I may buy points here and there just to support them.

If somehow they need to raise some cash I'm sure they will let the community know,and i'm positive the community will overwhelmingly respond in a postive way.

agreed, 

did the same thing, bought their supporter pack, and then shot a bit more money their way afterwards. 

and if in the future they need more, as long as i see that they still "care" about their game then ill gladly send them more.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Umbrood

This is a weird one I am sure, but my concern here is how they will make this profitable.

The extra inventory, and the ability to rename/color them is great, but after that?

The only thing they don't have implemented yet is the ability for players to buy their own ladders.   I believe it was stated in one of their posts that they plan to add this in future.    I can see it being a good source of income if they price it right.  

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Umbrood

The only thing they don't have implemented yet is the ability for players to buy their own ladders.   I believe it was stated in one of their posts that they plan to add this in future.    I can see it being a good source of income if they price it right.  

i completely forgot about that! buying ladders does look apealing, if only to have a "server" for your clan/guild ladders would make a good chunk of money