Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@MJ: If it's not DAOC 2, what is it exactly?

meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Like most people when I read the announcement of this game I thought it was basically DAOC 2 except without PvE (good!). It has 3 realms based on the same mythologies as DAOC and will have RvR combat and progression via RvR. So that makes it DAOC 2 right? But Mark Jacobs has made a big point in interviews to say that Camelout Unchained is not DAOC 2 or the spiritual successor to DAOC.

This leads me to wonder what exactly makes CU different than DAOC 2? Are you just saying that for legal reasons or will this game really be fundamentally different than what RvR in DAOC 2 would be? And if so, how?

This is really the big question that needs to be answered for me before the kickstarter. If this is really more or less DAOC 2 even if you can't or don't want to call it that, then it will be a game I've been waiting for a long time and I'll be following its progress enthusiastically and probably supporting it financially. But if it's something completely different, then I'll have a lot more reservations and want a lot more details and will have to consider it no differently than I would any other random new MMO meaning I will wait to try it in public beta events before deciding whether to purchase.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Comments

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Thats the point, fellow.

The title "DAoC 2" throws in specific expectations from ex-DAoC players.

• dunemeerlindunemeerlin Member Posts: 18

In my humble opinion, Camelot Unchained sounds more like DAoC-Lite. Something similar to Planetside 2, but with some core DAoC elements added.

Calling it DAoC 2 places expectations on what the game should be like. 

Personally, my dream game is a game very similar to Pre-ToA/New Frontier with improvements and modern graphics. CU doesn't sound like it will be that game, but it does sound like it will be DAoC-lite. Calling it Camelot Unchained, reminds people it's DAoC like, without having to make the game DAoC. 

I think it's a great idea and really worth looking forward too. It will be the first product I kickstart, because of how much I loved DAoC.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by dunemeerlin

In my humble opinion, Camelot Unchained sounds more like DAoC-Lite. Something similar to Planetside 2, but with some core DAoC elements added.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm getting at. I'd be elated if the game is DAOC-Lite or a fantasy themed PS 2. It's just hard for me to tell from the interviews if not calling it DAOC 2 is a marketing move like you suggest or if they really have a different direction for the game play that would make it actually wrong to call it DAOC 2. DAOC's RvR system is a proven winner. A very different system would need to be designed very carefully to make sure it doesn't make the mistakes that have caused games like WAR and GW 2 to fall short of expectations. Hopefully Mark will clear this up as he reveals more details about the game.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

if its anything like Planetside 1 vs Planetside 2, then this game can fuck itself...Abortion of a game made to cash in on the big bucks and draw in the COD and BF3 dregs with no real depth or substance and boring gunplay.

I think he's just playing it safe in saying it wont be daoc 2, that raises certain expectations on what the game will be like, this game while it may have the same core elements of daoc, will probably be is missing alot of what daoc had, but exploring new ideas. so calling it a sequel would really be right.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• dunemeerlindunemeerlin Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by dunemeerlin

Yeah that's exactly what I'm getting at. I'd be elated if the game is DAOC-Lite or a fantasy themed PS 2. It's just hard for me to tell from the interviews if not calling it DAOC 2 is a marketing move like you suggest or if they really have a different direction for the game play that would make it actually wrong to call it DAOC 2. DAOC's RvR system is a proven winner. A very different system would need to be designed very carefully to make sure it doesn't make the mistakes that have caused games like WAR and GW 2 to fall short of expectations. Hopefully Mark will clear this up as he reveals more details about the game.

I used Planetside 2 as an example, because it was the first game I could think of that had three factions pvp you jump right into. I'm sure the similarities will stop there. .

I think it will be DAoC-lite, meaning a crafting system (templates), hopefully core CC elements from DAoC, difference classes for each realm (no mirrors/eports),  ect.

I call it lite, because it sounds like it will lack the PvE side DAoC had. Dragon raids for respec stones, dungeon crawling, DF, exploring a massive world and finding new places for the first time, Pygmy Goblin groups. The idea of questing and leveling within the RvR area, makes the game sound more like a 3 faction open world pvp game rather then DAoC.

I personally like the fact that old school games use to make you invest hours into playing your character before you pvp'd. It made being max level seem meaningful. It seems like every game coming out lately wants you to be able to PvP from the minute you install the game.

DAoC captured lightening in a bottle, it's seems like games (Camelot Unchained may be included) keep sampleing elements from DAoC, but noone has used enough from the original to succeed.

• cd3925cd3925 Member Posts: 29

I personally like the fact that old school games use to make you invest hours into playing your character before you pvp'd. It made being max level seem meaningful. It seems like every game coming out lately wants you to be able to PvP from the minute you install the game.

I think this is exactly what MJ is trying to bring back ( Investment). Only, no PVE initally. So the investment element will be there. I hope he can pull it off with no PvE. 

He may not be making an exact DAoC 2, but it looks like he will be skinning the game much like it. Also one could assume he will be adding the RvR system and role / group / Guild sytems, as well as the commitment factor that use to be in "old school MMO" (Like DAoC). Basically building a game on the old foundational principles VS what are seeing today.

I got this link from the TESO boards. I think this guy does a pretty good job of explaining his take on the MMO gaming world as of late and what it is missing (for some of us). I think that the "pick up and play' games have a place for those who can not commit to the "old school" MMO's. But it seems for the most part the "old school" MMO's have been abandoned by publishers due to better profits to be had from the casual players.

Check out the link below, he is talking about TESO but hits this point right on the head IMHO.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Like most people when I read the announcement of this game I thought it was basically DAOC 2 except without PvE (good!). It has 3 realms based on the same mythologies as DAOC and will have RvR combat and progression via RvR. So that makes it DAOC 2 right? But Mark Jacobs has made a big point in interviews to say that Camelout Unchained is not DAOC 2 or the spiritual successor to DAOC.

This leads me to wonder what exactly makes CU different than DAOC 2? Are you just saying that for legal reasons or will this game really be fundamentally different than what RvR in DAOC 2 would be? And if so, how?

This is really the big question that needs to be answered for me before the kickstarter. If this is really more or less DAOC 2 even if you can't or don't want to call it that, then it will be a game I've been waiting for a long time and I'll be following its progress enthusiastically and probably supporting it financially. But if it's something completely different, then I'll have a lot more reservations and want a lot more details and will have to consider it no differently than I would any other random new MMO meaning I will wait to try it in public beta events before deciding whether to purchase.

Basically the game will focus purely on RvR.  There will be little to no PVE elements to it.  Very few NPC "mobs".  All loot will be gotten either through killing other players or the "few" npcs that might exist (im guessing keep lords, stuff like that), or through crafting.

The only reason people keep thinking its DAOC 2 is because its Mark Jacobs, and because its using the same lore base as DAOC (camelot/albion, nordic, celtic).  Outside of that there will be little to no similarities.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It can never be DAoC 2, MJ doesn't own the rights and EA will never sell them to him at a price that makes such a game feasible (this was mentioned in the 10-year anniversary DAoC dev video).

Like others, i consider this DAoC Lite currently. But one thing is certain, this is a NEW game, NOT a remake of DAoC.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    well you know, if he says something like it "is" daoc2 or spiritual successor, he'll get sued.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Basically the game will focus purely on RvR.  There will be little to no PVE elements to it.  Very few NPC "mobs".  All loot will be gotten either through killing other players or the "few" npcs that might exist (im guessing keep lords, stuff like that), or through crafting.

The only reason people keep thinking its DAOC 2 is because its Mark Jacobs, and because its using the same lore base as DAOC (camelot/albion, nordic, celtic).  Outside of that there will be little to no similarities.

That's a great lore to choose. Lots of possibilities there and flexibility. What's the server model with this? Any info on that? Good to see level zones are out.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Zinzan

It can never be DAoC 2, MJ doesn't own the rights and EA will never sell them to him at a price that makes such a game feasible (this was mentioned in the 10-year anniversary DAoC dev video).

Like others, i consider this DAoC Lite currently. But one thing is certain, this is a NEW game, NOT a remake of DAoC.

And this is the correct way to approach this new title.  It is a new game, with some similarities of course, but stands on its own merits.  People expecting it to be a remake of DAOC with improvements will come away disappointed. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• koocmadaaakoocmadaaa Member Posts: 9
    I would pay $100/month to get back the pre Toa old frontiers DAOC. No game (mmo or other) has come close to the enjoyment of DAOC in those days.