Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Play

Comments

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Game is good. The mistake he made was joining Goonswarm or TEST.

Catch you on the planetside!

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Don't really agree with boycotting a game, but I will say thats one of the main reasons I quit. It's just a treadmill like most other games, only this one never stops.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
    CCP wants the new player to move to null sec.  That will not happen for at least 2 years. Oh yes, you can do so sooner but you will die 99% of all conflicts and you can not venture out alone on your own anywhere in nullsec.  The NPCs will kill your 6 month character rather quickly.

Well, hate to say it but maybe "that's the game".

It seems that part of the draw that EVE has is that it has a very strong community. Maybe the quintessential EVE player is one who doesn't mind taking 2 years to be competitive and bides his/her time until then.

Let's put it this way.

I play Dark Souls.

A co-worker of mine tried it and said that 15 minutes into the game he threw his controller across the room.

I started playing, realized that I wasn't getting anywhere and decided to hunker down, grind out souls in order to level my character and lo and behold after a few levels I was able to play in a reasonably comfortable manner. Oh sure I die a lot but that doesn't really matter to me.

Point being that my personality is such that the playstyle of the game isn't an issue for me. You would never find me posting on a forum asking the creators to make it easier. To that point, if I didn't find anything enjoyable I wouldn't play.

Same with a game like EVE. They have aimed themselves at a very small group of people who are willing to "sign into" the "EVE experience".

No matter how long tha takes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

I went to 0.0 when I was about 8 or 9 weeks into the game. Was I doing it wrong? :( :( :(

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    [mod edit]

Were is the difference btw reincarnation and cloning? You never die in Eve to, but you lose sometimes a lot of ISK :)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Don't really agree with boycotting a game, but I will say thats one of the main reasons I quit. It's just a treadmill like most other games, only this one never stops.

If you want to play EVE as a "treadmill game", then you're free to. Of course, you're equally free not to. Why didn't you play it differently if treadmilling doesn't appeal to you?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ssunatzussunatzu Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Reklaw

which obviously seems to be YOUR issue which doesn't mean that it will take every gamer atleast 2 years.

But then again you also seem to like the feature's EVE has, so I am actually very confused as to why you made this topic??

Some players, including myself have successfully ventured into nullsec with less than six months of game play.

Your confused because you think this is an issue where I am so upset that I had to absolutely make a post in order to vent my frustrations with the game.  My posting is a start towards making CCP realize there are players who do not like the way their game is going.  I may or may not have an effect on the outcome of CCP's decision but at least I am making an effort to let them know how I feel.  The comments so far made in the topic may or may not be read by CCP but at least people are commenting.  

Thanks for response from all of you.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.

Funny. I spend about 5 min every month training my character. The rest of the time, I do whatever I damn well please :)

I believe your first mistake was to think that you somehow need to go into 0.0. Your second mistake was to think you had to join the "hardcore guilds", for lack of a better term, instead of seeking out one of the many many posibilities of joining a more newbie friendly entity in 0.0.

I know of no MMO, were the time you have to grind to build your character, is even close to as little as is required in EVE.

Neither do I know of any MMO, that doesn't require at least a few months of investment if you want to join the "big guilds". And unlike EVE, once you get there, you are required to keep grinding dailies/rep/xp/whatever in order retain your access to whatever "end-game treadmill" the Devs introduce to get your monthly sub, or cash-shop investment.

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57

2 Years ? Really ? No offence but I really think you should try a different game.  The problem is not the death penalty you are complaining about.  That is one of the features of the game that  make it great.  The fact that there are consequences to your actions is a rare and wonderful thing these days. The real problem is that you are not very good at EVE.

And as to your statment" This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture."  CCP does not now nor has it ever wanted EVE to be WOW. The 2 games are in very different classes of  MMO. Adult PvP sandbox and kiddie friendly, beginer Themepark. You seem to have drifted into the deep end of the pool.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by shinkan

[mod edit]

Eve is indeed for "carebears". The premiums on insurance have been rebalanced to the point where any losses you suffer for losing a ship are generally quite low, unless you've just made a horrid mistake and purchased something you can't really afford (which y'all seemed to do in the real world in the 90s, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you're doing it in a game as well).

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

That sounds great actually.

Not like the usual "im done with it all in 3 months" new games.

I really dislike the fast paced leveling, levels have no meaning anymore.

My first AO character needed more then 4 years to top level, what a voyage that was !

What you wrote would make me play Eve, wouldnt i be a spaceship there ...

Originally posted by lostscout5

The real problem is that you are not very good at EVE.

:-) Precisely...

The good thing about EVE is a player can use the mechanics to his benefit if he knows how to do so. When you see a multi boxer with an armada please do not cry that the game is not fair.  You most likely will have run into me and died.

But, I still wont recommend this game to my friends.  And yes, I can compensate my lack of skills by using multiple toons with multiple fire power to offset your 2 years of experience.

So, yeah, I am working on the problem as we speak.

Have a nice day! :-)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Harden the fuck up.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Reklaw

which obviously seems to be YOUR issue which doesn't mean that it will take every gamer atleast 2 years.

But then again you also seem to like the feature's EVE has, so I am actually very confused as to why you made this topic??

Some players, including myself have successfully ventured into nullsec with less than six months of game play.

Your confused because you think this is an issue where I am so upset that I had to absolutely make a post in order to vent my frustrations with the game.  My posting is a start towards making CCP realize there are players who do not like the way their game is going.  I may or may not have an effect on the outcome of CCP's decision but at least I am making an effort to let them know how I feel.  The comments so far made in the topic may or may not be read by CCP but at least people are commenting.  

Thanks for response from all of you.

As long as EVE has existed, there have been players who "didn't like the way the game was going" image

However, the majority of the playerbase have obviously not minded enough to leave the game. And CCP have been happy enough with the retention rate to not make any major changes to the game play.

And inexplicably, the number of paying players has very slowly (but steadily) increased over the years. EVE does not appeal to the "average gamer". But those who DO like it tend to stay. For years.

The OP is by no means the first EVE player that has launched a personal crusade to make CCP aware of the "failings" of EVE. There have been hundreds (if not thousands) like him in the last 10 years. And he won't be the last. But thankfully, it won't make any difference, never has.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Harden the fuck up.
    thanks buddy :-) you made my day lol

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Tried it....did not like it at all..so I did not sub. Every game cannot please everyone. That's life.
  • dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    I admit to refusing to even try Eve beacause I know the entry barrior is so steep. So this defenitely is some sort of factor in getting new palyers to the game. But it's their game and they can run it however they want.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Harden the fuck up.

/thread

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    An honest question OP, are you preparing a debate exam or are you just bored ?
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Tried it....did not like it at all..so I did not sub. Every game cannot please everyone. That's life.

QFT

BTW I have played EVE on and off, not my cup of tea. But this thread is just....pointless

Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    The OP is by no means the first EVE player that has launched a personal crusade to make CCP aware of the "failings" of EVE. There have been hundreds (if not thousands) like him in the last 10 years. And he won't be the last. But thankfully, it won't make any difference, never has.

I am not sure, I think it's more a case of someone enjoying his monologue. EVE just happens to be the subject, but it's mere casuality

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

EVE is the biggest RMT MMO out there and most people dont realise or refuse to see this fact. You see you can, for real money, buy monthly gamecards which can, completely legally, be converted into game currency. With this game currency you can buy basically everything, including a high skilled character as they are sold, again completely legally in the character bazaar.

So in other words, you dont need to spend two years to be able to be competetive. Just open your wallet, for a couple of houndreds, get a 50 million SP character and get the best ships out there and once you learn the ropes, you can be the baddest pilot out there.

This game is the biggest pay 2 win game out there and that is why I wont be playing it, ever.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by zomard100
    LOL!  After 6 months i got on one of my accounts 76 solo kills, ok i was 65 times killed  but i was never member of some big corporation. Probably you was disappointed because you don't have  a clue how to choose skills, you invested for sure little bit there a little bit here and you didn't make anything useful. And second thing is that you need to know where to fly and how to make use of your star map. Caldari Militia forever!

But what's the point?

Flying around and randomly PK'ing people is much easier, and arguable more fun in 99/100 themepark MMOs.

You won't be able to fit even a Frigate at Tech II all around in less than a month - and that same boat will cost you more than you can make running lvl1 missions for a month. You could mine and sell for $ but without a dedicated hauler/mining ship the profit gain per hour is quite low (though I'm sure the new mining Frigate helps) but it's boring as sin. I can make close to 8 million in an hour of mining, but I've got a mining ship (Retreiver) and Mining/Refining 5 + sub skills. The new mining frigate might help the profit per hour a bit though.

You also won't survive a single PvP encounter against anything other than a complete noob without T2 modules and weapons.

You won't have a jump clone (no standing) so you'll have no implants to speed up your training a bit.

And Gallente are dominating FW anyway - so your 76 kills mean nothing in the war effort.

EvE is a game that just simply doesn't live up to the dream it lures players in with.

Great things can and do happen in EvE, moments unlike those in any other MMORPG out right now... but the vast majority of the time, it's simply boring.

I ran Lvl 3's and mined till my eyes bled saving the isk to buy a BS while I was training the skills to fly and fit it correctly. I didn't come anywhere CLOSE to being able to afford the ship let alone the insurance, modules, rigs, ammo, weapons etc. so I bought a Plex. Yamoto is right - EvE is really a HUGE RMT scam.

My account is still active and skills are training (hurray Shield Management V taking 13+ days..) ONLY because I am waiting to see what the summer expansion is going to be all about.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I would play the hell out of EvE if it wasn't in space. I love me some high fantasy and if they could take everything about this game but make it a fantasy game... Well that would be the cats pajamas.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221

Actually, it takes only about two months before you're ready if you work hard enough, are in a good corp, and are very adaptive. Yeah you may lose your ship usually but thats normal game mechanics.

It depends on what you want to do that makes you take "2 years" or such.