Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter means 2015+

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I’m really not trying to be a jerk, or trolling, or buzz killing at all.

I’m being honest and just letting people know who are getting excited over this announcement not to get caught up in this so early. They need kick starter funds to begin the meat and potatoes of development.

This process takes years.

They might have concept art, maybe some design models made up, some skins ect.. But realistically this game will not be even close to a release or beta well past 2015.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Yeh probably, but since this is what I see as the successor to my first mmorpg, I will back it on kickstarter on a low funder but get the game package.

I just hope I don't get hit by a bus till then.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I’m being honest and just letting people know who are getting excited over this announcement not to get caught up in this so early. They need kick starter funds to begin the meat and potatoes of development.

They might have concept art, maybe some design models made up, some skins ect.. But realistically this game will not be even close to a release or beta well past 2015.

I'm hoping for 2014 since it's not a very huge project. 

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Yeah, it would probably have a quick turn around since there will be no main story line and PvE. But they do have a small team also, who knows they might be able to bang it out fast. I would much rather them take their time though.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I really don't care if it's 2015, 2016, 2017.

If it's done right and it's anywhere nearly as enjoyable as what Mark Jacobs and his team brought us in Pre-ToA days of Dark Age of Camelot, it will be worth the wait for me. Im pretty patient.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    I agree for the most part.  I could see them releasing anytime between late 2014 to early 2016, but I doubt much later than that.
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Honestly 2015 for me would still probably be too soon. Now granted unlike the old days where you had to build everything from scratch yourselves, you can license engines/tech. This would greatly speed up development time. That being said I would still prefer they take their time with this and do it right. Get their core game done solid, fluid, and well designed. Take 2 years if thats what its gonna take, or take 4 years if needed. I don't care as long as I am getting a smooth, polished, and relatively bug free game that meets the initial design vision.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Functional in 2 years is doable, even with a good level of polish if management is solid.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I haven't scoured every detail because I tend to not get too excited about games which I won't see for over a year.  Have they been working on this, or is the game just an idea that is only known inside of Mark Jacobs' head?

Some kickstarters don't ask for funding until they have a functional project to demo to people.  Those are the kind that I will support, knowing they just need a bit more money to go from working concept to fully-developed game.

Originally posted by syntax42

I haven't scoured every detail because I tend to not get too excited about games which I won't see for over a year.  Have they been working on this, or is the game just an idea that is only known inside of Mark Jacobs' head?

Some kickstarters don't ask for funding until they have a functional project to demo to people.  Those are the kind that I will support, knowing they just need a bit more money to go from working concept to fully-developed game.

As of right now there are very few details about the game. As per what Mark has said, it appears to be getting prepped for kickstarted to launch sometimes next month. Over the coming weeks he and the team will be releasing details about the design vision. I'd have to assume, without going out on a limb, that Mark is putting together either a demo or concept video for Kickstarter when it launches.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

*shrug*

I really have no idea when it will be out. But I'll be there when it does.

In the meantime, there's a few games coming out this year that I might play, of them TESO seems to be the best PvP wise.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    As of right now there are very few deatils about the game. 

Exactly.  We don't know if he has been working on it for a year, or if the entire concept is just now coming out of his head.  The only reason people are getting so excited is because of the name associated with the project.

The OP needs to wait until we have an idea of how far along they are before making such a bold prediction.  The game could be mostly completed for all we know.  I would doubt it, but I've seen secrecy in other industries to a higher degree than that.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

I don't think you're being a jerk either as what you say is  a very valid assumption. One thing to keep in mind (and I'll have a post about this as well), is that I want to get our backers into our game as early as possible to play it so we can iterate and build. I've learned a lot from watching what Notch did with MC as well as what some very successful games have done in Asia. I want to get these guys/gals in as soon as possible so they can help us make the game better. FYI, the Backers Beta will be free of any fee/charges (since I know somebody will ask so I might as well answer it now). 

Originally posted by Wicoa

Yeh probably, but since this is what I see as the successor to my first mmorpg, I will back it on kickstarter on a low funder but get the game package.

Me too. One of our programmers was hit by a car his first week at work. Not fun. What a great way to start a job right? Move to a new town, get an apartment, engage in a duel with a car and end up in the hospital with the whole studio rushing over to say WTF! :) Thanks though for your interest and support, I really appreciate it.

As per above, I'd love to have our backers in as soon as possible to help test early builds. If they are not in by the end of 2014 and beating on each other, I'd be sorely disappointed.

Originally posted by Fearum

Yeah, it would probably have a quick turn around since there will be no main story line and PvE. But they do have a small team also, who knows they might be able to bang it out fast. I would much rather them take their time though.

We will do both. I want story in the game (not as quest lines but simply backstory) but the loss of PvE does speed up development a lot. I want players in very early to help work out the kinks in the code but I won't release the finished game (or start charging) until it's good to go.

Originally posted by Tayah

If it's done right and it's anywhere nearly as enjoyable as what Mark Jacobs and his team brought us in Pre-ToA days of Dark Age of Camelot, it will be worth the wait for me. Im pretty patient.

Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

Honestly 2015 for me would still probably be too soon. Now granted unlike the old days where you had to build everything from scratch yourselves, you can license engines/tech. This would greatly speed up development time. That being said I would still prefer they take their time with this and do it right. Get their core game done solid, fluid, and well designed. Take 2 years if thats what its gonna take, or take 4 years if needed. I don't care as long as I am getting a smooth, polished, and relatively bug free game that meets the initial design vision.

It will meet the vision (Foundational Principles) or I won't release the game.

Originally posted by XAPGames

Functional in 2 years is doable, even with a good level of polish if management is solid.

I think so too.  We'll need to catch some breaks, make some smart calls but it is certainly doable. Cutting out PvE and quests makes a huge difference to the budget and timeline.

The game is a little more than an idea but not much. FYI, I will be putting up a lot of the money myself as well as what we  might get from the players. If that gives you some more comfort, fantastic! If not, no worries, I hope you will consider playing our game at launch.

As of right now there are very few details about the game. As per what Mark has said, it appears to be getting prepped for kickstarted to launch sometimes next month. Over the coming weeks he and the team will be releasing details about the design vision. I'd have to assume, without going out on a limb, that Mark is putting together either a demo or concept video for Kickstarter when it launches.

There won't be a demo because frankly, whatever we threw together right now would be smoke and mirrors and I won't waste my time and the players time by showing them something that is lame. We could use Unity (as we did for MoO) as the basis for a demo, take some time, build some cool looking models and go "See! It works!!!!" but that would be nonsense. That's the easy part. Building a client/server model that can handle thousands of player per server, large scale battles and a graphics engine that can accomodate all that without becoming a slideshow, that's the hard part and that takes time. That's why I'm not seeking all the money we'll need from Kickstarter and instead, putting up my own. I have faith we can do that but what I don't know yet is whether enough people will want to play this game. Getting the Kickstarter funded will prove to me that our core audience is there and willing to take a chance. With that in hand, more money comes in from myself and others.  People (including me of course) can say anything but what I'm willing to do is back it up with my own money. Hopefully people will see that as I intend, that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, instead of my foot. :)

Thanks to all for your questions/support. More answer OTW.

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

Originally posted by OgreRaper

*shrug*

I really have no idea when it will be out. But I'll be there when it does.

In the meantime, there's a few games coming out this year that I might play, of them TESO seems to be the best PvP wise.

I look forward to that and ArcheAge, hope both are great games. I need a great MMORPG to play, I really miss them.

Mark

Mark Jacobs

• LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102

This will be the first kickstarter I back!!! BRING IT!!!!!!!

After watching Prime battle for Dominus get scrapped I am hopeful that CU will get funded. 

But yeah 2015,16,17 it doesnt matter because we will find something to occupy ourselves til then.

I am just glad we have more games coming out with 3 faction PvP.

THANK YOU!

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• cd3925cd3925 Member Posts: 29
    The idea of a DAoC / Darkfall sounds very very very cool :-) . This will get funded- has to.
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

I don't think you're being a jerk either as what you say is  a very valid assumption. One thing to keep in mind (and I'll have a post about this as well), is that I want to get our backers into our game as early as possible to play it so we can iterate and build. I've learned a lot from watching what Notch did with MC as well as what some very successful games have done in Asia. I want to get these guys/gals in as soon as possible so they can help us make the game better. FYI, the Backers Beta will be free of any fee/charges (since I know somebody will ask so I might as well answer it now). 

Originally posted by Wicoa

Me too. One of our programmers was hit by a car his first week at work. Not fun. What a great way to start a job right? Move to a new town, get an apartment, engage in a duel with a car and end up in the hospital with the whole studio rushing over to say WTF! :) Thanks though for your interest and support, I really appreciate it.

As per above, I'd love to have our backers in as soon as possible to help test early builds. If they are not in by the end of 2014 and beating on each other, I'd be sorely disappointed.

Originally posted by Fearum

We will do both. I want story in the game (not as quest lines but simply backstory) but the loss of PvE does speed up development a lot. I want players in very early to help work out the kinks in the code but I won't release the finished game (or start charging) until it's good to go.

Originally posted by Tayah

Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it.

It will meet the vision (Foundational Principles) or I won't release the game.

Originally posted by XAPGames

I think so too.  We'll need to catch some breaks, make some smart calls but it is certainly doable. Cutting out PvE and quests makes a huge difference to the budget and timeline.

The game is a little more than an idea but not much. FYI, I will be putting up a lot of the money myself as well as what we  might get from the players. If that gives you some more comfort, fantastic! If not, no worries, I hope you will consider playing our game at launch.

There won't be a demo because frankly, whatever we threw together right now would be smoke and mirrors and I won't waste my time and the players time by showing them something that is lame. We could use Unity (as we did for MoO) as the basis for a demo, take some time, build some cool looking models and go "See! It works!!!!" but that would be nonsense. That's the easy part. Building a client/server model that can handle thousands of player per server, large scale battles and a graphics engine that can accomodate all that without becoming a slideshow, that's the hard part and that takes time. That's why I'm not seeking all the money we'll need from Kickstarter and instead, putting up my own. I have faith we can do that but what I don't know yet is whether enough people will want to play this game. Getting the Kickstarter funded will prove to me that our core audience is there and willing to take a chance. With that in hand, more money comes in from myself and others.  People (including me of course) can say anything but what I'm willing to do is back it up with my own money. Hopefully people will see that as I intend, that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, instead of my foot. :)

Thanks to all for your questions/support. More answer OTW.

Mark

Again much respect for being honest about what to expect from the Kickstarter campaign. For what its worth as much as I'd like to see something in video format when you launch KS, I'm glad we're not gonna get some half assed video that has nothing really in common with the final product solely to get our money. I just figured you would put something together for the requisite KS introduction video. If you're as honest and unflinching when it comes to the foundation principles as you are here, you'll garner your following relatively easily I would think. I am just the spokesman of my group of friends but all of them said they have credit card in hand when that KS goes live.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    If i had to guess late 2015 to 2016

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I'll be surprised if this ever comes out - Kickstarter projects as of late seem to be going into huge vaporware mode.

I do think Mark Jacobs and his team are a great bunch though so we'll see.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by SuperNick

I'll be surprised if this ever comes out - Kickstarter projects as of late seem to be going into huge vaporware mode.

I must say that it seems it will be completed if the Kickstarter goes through, since he's putting up his own money (in addition to others). I don't know how much they will ask for from the Kickstarter, but I don't see how this of all things wouldn't get funded. Given the age of DAoC, most of the original fan base is made up of people who have jobs and thus would be more likely to put up some money. Obviously there will also be backers who never even played DAoC as well, but I just feel like a lot of people are looking for a game like this right now.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by collekt

I must say that it seems it will be completed if the Kickstarter goes through, since he's putting up his own money (in addition to others). I don't know how much they will ask for from the Kickstarter, but I don't see how this of all things wouldn't get funded. Given the age of DAoC, most of the original fan base is made up of people who have jobs and thus would be more likely to put up some money. Obviously there will also be backers who never even played DAoC as well, but I just feel like a lot of people are looking for a game like this right now.

All good points but i wonder if the involvement of Mark Jacobs might put a lot of players off investing in the kickstarter given what he did to DAoC and WAR. This guy brings a certain amount of baggage that a lot of DAoC vets remember even today.

I won't invest on current information (no pve, me no likee), like you if the game is great i will sub and play, but im involved in two other kickstarters at the moment and both are far more interresting and viable than CU imo.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Zinzan

All good points but i wonder if the involvement of Mark Jacobs might put a lot of players off investing in the kickstarter given what he did to DAoC and WAR. This guy brings a certain amount of baggage that a lot of DAoC vets remember even today.

I won't invest on current information (no pve, me no likee), like you if the game is great i will sub and play, but im involved in two other kickstarters at the moment and both are far more interresting and viable than CU imo.

Yes the fact that former DAOC players associate Mark with some of our least favorite parts of that game's history and WAR is a hurdle he'll need to overcome to get backing. But he can get past that by laying out in detail what he has in mind for the new game especially in regards to progression and itemization. I'm prepared to support the Kickstarter if he can show me he plans to make a game that embraces the spirit of DAOC's original RvR system.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

THIS !!!!!!

One thing to keep in mind (and I'll have a post about this as well), is that I want to get our backers into our game as early as possible to play it so we can iterate and build. I've learned a lot from watching what Notch did with MC as well as what some very successful games have done in Asia. I want to get these guys/gals in as soon as possible so they can help us make the game better. FYI, the Backers Beta will be free of any fee/charges (since I know somebody will ask so I might as well answer it now).

This is a good way to develop, CROWD FORGING is one of the most inspirational techniques to YET be fully visualised by developers & designers.

This is what I like to hear, NO smoke and mirrors, what I would like to see is video development diaries as you go mark, show those hardworking people, discuss the processes and issues to overcome, maybe even take a look at the roadmap system Planetside2 has recently added and use something similar.

I have no doubt that if youre transparent on design and development, people will back you !

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

I'm definitely going to be supporting this game. I hope so much that Mark Jacobs vision will come true. I'm just starving for a good, solid PvP game.

Hope to see the Kickstarter soon. I want this game! :D

Originally posted by collekt

That's perfectly fair. Wait and see what happens is perfectly logical approach, especially since the game will not have something that is important to you. I hope that when the game is released, you will try it. If not, thanks for playing both Dark Age of Camelot & Warhammer Online.

Originally posted by meddyck

Yes the fact that former DAOC players associate Mark with some of our least favorite parts of that game's history and WAR is a hurdle he'll need to overcome to get backing. But he can get past that by laying out in detail what he has in mind for the new game especially in regards to progression and itemization. I'm prepared to support the Kickstarter if he can show me he plans to make a game that embraces the spirit of DAOC's original RvR system.

As per above, that is fair. I do hope though that since I am going to be associated with the bad things in Dark Age/Warhammer that I also get credit for some of the good things since many of them (not all of course), were my ideas as well. Did I make some decisions on my own (both good and bad), yep. Did I make some decisions with the "help" of others, yep. Where there things in both MMORPGs that I didn't even know were in there, yep. MMORPGs on the scale of WAR are quite complicated beasts and no one person can know every system, sub-system, weapon, quest, etc. especially while they are also trying to run a company, work with EA, etc. After EA bought Mythic did I have as much control over the studio as I did when we were independent, of course not. Is it *my* responsibility to take the heat for all the above, yep (that's why so many other guys hide in the background). Frankly, your statement  in regards to what I need to do is dead on, lay out the game, the vision, etc.  and then judge for yourself whether our Kickstarter is worth backing. That's all I can ask other than to say that for better or worse, I'm running my own studio again and I'm not aiming to "put the band back together" if the Kickstarter funds. Like the game, hate the game, etc., CU will be the game I want to make and I do hope you will be one of the people who like it as well. I know you have been critical of me in the past and I do thank for you considering to back the Kickstarter and/or give me a chance to prove that I and CU deserve your patronage again.

Originally posted by Adokas

I'm definitely going to be supporting this game. I hope so much that Mark Jacobs vision will come true. I'm just starving for a good, solid PvP game.

Hope to see the Kickstarter soon. I want this game! :D

Thanks so much! I hope it comes true as well. :)

Mark

Mark Jacobs

Originally posted by mmoski

THIS !!!!!!

One thing to keep in mind (and I'll have a post about this as well), is that I want to get our backers into our game as early as possible to play it so we can iterate and build. I've learned a lot from watching what Notch did with MC as well as what some very successful games have done in Asia. I want to get these guys/gals in as soon as possible so they can help us make the game better. FYI, the Backers Beta will be free of any fee/charges (since I know somebody will ask so I might as well answer it now).

This is a good way to develop, CROWD FORGING is one of the most inspirational techniques to YET be fully visualised by developers & designers.

This is what I like to hear, NO smoke and mirrors, what I would like to see is video development diaries as you go mark, show those hardworking people, discuss the processes and issues to overcome, maybe even take a look at the roadmap system Planetside2 has recently added and use something similar.

I have no doubt that if youre transparent on design and development, people will back you !

I agree, Crowd funding/forging is a potentially huge change for the game industry, if we (the industry as a whole) doesn't screw it up. I'm both elated and terrified that something that can truly change the balance between publisher<->developer<->VC has come into existence but it can also be snuffed out if developers can't follow through on their promises. That is one reason I'm putting my own money into this project as well. I want to give our backers confidence that we are not going to take their money and then, a year later, come back for more. Our backers will truly start the process and then it is up to me and my fellow investors to finish it off. 

As to "NO smoke and mirrors", there won't be any with this project. If we have something to show, we'll show it, if we don't have anything worthwhile to show, then we won't show it. As to video development diaries, absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Happy to show you our office (small but that's how I like it) and our team. Our backers will be part of the development process (not to enact a "design by committee") and will be able to talk to us through our private forums, participate in polls, contribute ideas, be in the stress test/alpha/beta,etc.

As I've said elsewhere, there is no guarantee that this Kickstarter will fund. I didn't help the process by declaring this a "niche game" with no PvE but I wanted to be transparent (as you suggest) and upfront with people. I'd rather this project not fund that make overblown promises that I know I can't keep and then cut stuff out or say "Please, we need more money, there's a company at steak here!" :) If enough people like our vision for a game and back us, fantastic. If not, so it goes.

Thanks for the feedback and support.

Mark

Mark Jacobs