Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained: Mark Jacobs Announces Camelot Unchained

124»

Comments

• A11ast3rA11ast3r Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Warley

JUST IN: EA buys City State Entertainment and renames Camelot Unchained to Dark Age of Camelot 2.  Here's the official statement by John Riccitiello:

"With the purchase of City State Entertainment and the newly named Dark Age of Camelot 2, we see plenty of innovative opportunities to bring to the DAoC fans.  We'll create the 6th pillar of MMORPG's, which is three factions. The 7th pillar of MMORPG's and the future of MMORPG's is the new and highly innovative business model we like to call B2PP2PF2P hybrid."

When pressed further about the B2PP2PF2P business model Mr. Riccitiello had this to say:

"We plan to target as many people with the launch of DAoC 2 as possible.  This will be our biggest project ever with even more voice overs than ever before and we plan to introduce actual rollercoaster tracks to each level to make it easier for players to explore the rich world.  Players will also be able to purchase extra value by unlocking quest markers over NPC's heads, which compliments the rollercoaster tracks leading right up to that NPC.  In addition to this, players will be able to unlock NPC's by purchasing the NPC booster pack which adds even more value to their experience!"

WHAT EA BOUGHT CITY STATE ENTERTAINMENT?!?! Can you give a link to source??

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by A11ast3r

JUST IN: EA buys City State Entertainment and renames Camelot Unchained to Dark Age of Camelot 2.  Here's the official statement by John Riccitiello:

"With the purchase of City State Entertainment and the newly named Dark Age of Camelot 2, we see plenty of innovative opportunities to bring to the DAoC fans.  We'll create the 6th pillar of MMORPG's, which is three factions. The 7th pillar of MMORPG's and the future of MMORPG's is the new and highly innovative business model we like to call B2PP2PF2P hybrid."

When pressed further about the B2PP2PF2P business model Mr. Riccitiello had this to say:

"We plan to target as many people with the launch of DAoC 2 as possible.  This will be our biggest project ever with even more voice overs than ever before and we plan to introduce actual rollercoaster tracks to each level to make it easier for players to explore the rich world.  Players will also be able to purchase extra value by unlocking quest markers over NPC's heads, which compliments the rollercoaster tracks leading right up to that NPC.  In addition to this, players will be able to unlock NPC's by purchasing the NPC booster pack which adds even more value to their experience!"

WHAT EA BOUGHT CITY STATE ENTERTAINMENT?!?! Can you give a link to source??

No, he/she is joking.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Made me, and a bunch of folks in the office  LOL, a lot. :)

Thanks for that!

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

its funny but Citadel of Sorcery has:

3 factions

900 million Kilometer planet to explore

three play options; B2P, F2P and Sub

cross realm playability; you can step through a portal on your B2P server and join a friend on a F2P server. at no cost...

Everything under the sun ahs its own bloody AI.. trees, grass, mobbbs, NPC's.. even the chickens... gonna be sick

Guild can build thier own towns and even lease to members so they can open thier own crafting shops.

I mean seriously folks this is a reality that is coming.. has been in the works for several years.. those in the MMO gaming field failed it in the kickstarter so they moved to a founder buy out system..

its slated for a 2015 release as far as anyone knows.

DAoC is an old story, a second one really doenst do it for me.. im looking for somethng new that isnt WoW, EQ, DAoC, PS2, GW2, SWtoR... the list of BS games goes on... when a new game comes up and the gamers dont respond its not a good sign.

yet then again Chris Roberts pops up and says "Hey look im creating another Space Sim game!" and poof 7+ million dollars in a few months from both crowd funding and kickstarter.

If youre into MMORPG's support them, If youre into PVP then have fun, but listen guys, we have all been run through the mill with these lame duck games that have been released over the last several years. Developers have lied, decieved and straight out told players they dont care. hell Activisions kotic the boobarian is even quoted as saying the app based games are the future of gaming.

Seriously i dont care how many times these guys say they hve learned from thier mistakes.. they are going to repeat them over and over because not one of them has an original idea anywhere near them.

me? I gave up on the past... im moving forward and betting it all on Citadel of Sorcery. From what ive read, seen and heard about what they are doing and trying to do makes it seem that MMOmagic figured it out. so cater to those who have failed you before.. me im aiming for something different and new.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    if will be like pre toa daoc i am in

BestSigEver :P

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Vdeo says launching march 2013. Anything released out of the ether with 1 month notice will suck.

Kickstarter launching in march 2013 not the game

Most likely 2015 for release, maybe earlier if it's rushed out.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by cosy
    if will be like pre toa daoc i am in

There is no pve, it's just pvp so it will probably suit you.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    No PvE? No, wont work or rather it will work like a huge multiplayer arena. Not my cup of tea as the best MMOs mix PvE and PvP in a way which makes for a better game.
    Originally posted by Yamota
    No PvE? No, wont work or rather it will work like a huge multiplayer arena. Not my cup of tea as the best MMOs mix PvE and PvP in a way which makes for a better game.

Your right, this is what made DAoC great.

• VestaxVestax Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Yamota

Your right, this is what made DAoC great.

Are you for real?

The PvE in DAoC was very average.. not to mention a MASSIVE grind. The RvR on the other hand was exceptional, no other MMORPG has even come close.

There was 3 key things that made DAoCs RvR so amazing -

• Long duration skill-based AoE CC
    Each faction had access to a 60sec AoE mez making it possible for a small group of skilled players to take down a zerg of 40+ people.
    • Getting killed was a bad thing
    If you died it would take you at least 10-15 minutes to get back to the action. All current MMORPGs are like Call of Duty with 10 second respawn timers and this gets boring very quickly. 
    • Interesting & unique classes
    DAoC had 45 different classes. Yes.. balance was a problem at the start but they soon resolved most of the issues. Ultimately this resulted in some crazy evolving group strategies. GW2 has what.. 8 classes in total? give me a break.

From everything I've read about CU it looks like Mark is making the game that people like myself have been waiting for since pre-ToA.

Who cares if it lacks PvE.

• WarKptWarKpt Member Posts: 1

Bring it BACK!!! The only MMO i didnt got tired, where i had a comunity, where i had so much FUN!!!

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Oh man..."Case #2 – Auction House"

I nearly shit bricks, thinking they weren't going to have any form of "offline selling". Though I seriously hope we don't have to sit in town to sell stuff.....that is in no way shape or form 'Fun'.

I just hope they allow XP in PVP...last thing I want to do is grind. I like playing against Players, not NPCs :

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• RaingirlRaingirl Member Posts: 34

I  wonder if this is what's left of the "King Arthur in space" thing his team worked on for so long and then was scrapped in favour of Warhammer? Develpment on that project went on for a few years I believe and there must have been a lot done before it was shelved.

As for targeting to release to a niche, folks forget that WoW released with what?, a dozen servers maybe? That game never never planned for the millions of subscriptions they currently have. It grew through word of mouth and Blizz really had to scramble in the beginning to accomodate the rapid growth.  The idea that a game has to start with millions of players is kinda putting the cart before the horse.

As far as free to play models, I feel that if what a company really wants to do is run a game store then probably they should be doing exactly that, not wasting time making bad games. There's big money to be made selling Bingo chips and Farmville water over on Facebook.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Didn't he sell out last time to EA which then they messed up DAoC ?

I wont fall for that trap again I will stick with TESO thanks. I loved the original DAoC, but I wont put money into this project.

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44

People remember DAOC for the RvR, but without the massive foundation of PvE, I don't think DAOC would be remembered for much of anything.

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• fewchurprofewchurpro Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Tayah

Please take your time and do it right Mr. Jacobs. Remember why we loved DAOC back before Trials of Atlantis.

Some of those being....

RvR, No instanced Dungeons, No Gear Grind, Great Crafting, A live NON-INSTANCED world to explore, Darkness Falls, Multiple Classes to choose from (No Mirrored crap--Yes harder to balance but it was better), Real Dragons!

Agreed, and it was cool when hunter classes had to have skill with firing bows, and all the mage type classes had different spells, heck every similar type class had different styles/lines etc. Oh and dont let EA or anyone else try to buy out again, learn from it. DAOC was by far my most favorite game ever. You would definately bring me back if its old school. Craft gear ftw.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    I will gladly pay $400/year for a game like this, as long as there is no hackers. CityState has to be an active role in policing the server.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Chief021
    I highly doubt we'll see this game in 2013... 2016 - 2017 is more likely?  But yeah pretty stoked..

Don't forget that CU will be PvP only, so it might take less time to make, since their workload is gonna be smaller than if it had PvE.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR