Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misconceptions from Dust's haters.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I read many of the posts here. Including the negative ones.  Its one thing to hate on a game if it actually sucks. But the reality of what Dust514 is compared to what our haters would like it to be are two different beasts. As someone who plays EVE(Praxis Initiative) and plays Dust, the misconceptions told by some of our members here is Incredible! So I have decided to my best ability to cover some(not all) of these misconceptions.

1. The game is going to fail and or crash hard? Well I got my PS3 for Christmas. Since that day Dust has been expanding and growing regularly. Even at my timezone I can log in and battle at 3,4,5 am and have no issues. Have seen many new players. A couple of my real life friends have actually started playing as well. Which is the opposite of what those haters with wishful thinking predict.

2. The game is not fun. Speak for yourself. Many people I know in game as well as in the real like this game alot. Some of my friends in my EVE corp play as well. We plan to operate a full DUST corp  soon. We also plan to use Dust to our corps advantage. Whether it be in defence of some of our planetary holdings or in gaining new ones. We are already forming Dust alliances just for this venture.

3. The game controls are bad? Heh, this one made me laugh. Must have come from the tab and hotkey crowd :-D The ones who dont know how to aim :-D. Yes you actually have to take that target reticule and place it over the enemy! Difficult for those tab and hotkey people! Its all good, youll make easy headshots when im sniping :-D

4. Dust514 is only 8vs8? Well Dust at the moment has 32 player battle zones,16 per team. With multiple skirmishes taking place simultaneously. This game is quite fun.

Now that we have some of these misconceptions cleared. Would like to say "to each there own". I like Dust514 alot. I also like EVE alot. As well as Pirate101, Battlefield3, and Vanguard. I dont care if its a console game, PC game, or even a game on my smart phone. I play games for the fun and enjoyment of the title. I do not really care if its a MMORPG with its "tab and hotkey" design or if its a FPS where you actually have to learn to shoot! If its fun,enjoyable and addictive ill stay around.

Now to some of the people who hate on this game. You know who I am talking about! You are that guy who comes into a forum for a game and trash talks it. Tells everyone as though they should believe you just off of reputation alone how horrible the game is! But then has no real relative experience of the game you are talking about. 

You know doing that just makes you special. At least be useful! Instead of trolling your trash, then repeating it.

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

1,2 and 3 are not misconceptions but rather subjective opinions.

Dust is bad because they had the great idea of not releasing it on PC, which is the platform of Eve. That is why it will fail.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Yamota

1,2 and 3 are not misconceptions but rather subjective opinions.

Dust is bad because they had the great idea of not releasing it on PC, which is the platform of Eve. That is why it will fail.

Actually Yamota, I could see that if I did not play Dust514. But I do play both. Eve on my PC and Dust on my PS3. I can definitely say Dust is not failing. Rather expanding at a decent rate. Dust is a very good game to play when you are drone mining :-D Got it timed to play inbetween cycle times :-D

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The fact that its console only turns me off as well..

I think that will be its biggest fault.

Doesnt mean the game is bad though,obviously.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Hi Xpowder! good to see you alive and kicking on mmorpg still.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

I'd be trying out Dust 514 if it was on the PC.  I am not picking up a PS3 just to play it.  No one else I know is either.  Now, they were sorta hosed in this, due to the ignoramuses at Microsoft torpedoing the game on the Xbox.  It was originally intended for both platforms, and losing the Xbox probably really set them back in the amount of players they might have had.

If it comes to PC, I will try it, otherwise, I hope it at least helps them get tech boosts towards WoD.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Xirik
    Hi Xpowder! good to see you alive and kicking on mmorpg still.

Long time no see Xirik. Good to see you are roaming still as well! By the way, this is the timid xpowderx :-P. Have to play nice :-D

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by xpowderx

1. The game is going to fail and or crash hard? Well I got my PS3 for Christmas.

Game's saved. OP got his PS3.

Seriously, I'm only hating that I can't play it on my PC. I have no intention to use a different platform soooo...I'm locked out.

Robokapp,

I feel bad for each of you who want to play that cant due to the platform restriction. If you had a PS3 you could also be playing God of War Multiplayer Online BETA as well. As well as reliving those Final Fantasy VII times. I seriously do feel bad for players who only use one type of platform for his or her gaming experience.

Also,I watched some gameplay videos and the game looks super slow for a shooter.

1. The game is going to fail and or crash hard? Well I got my PS3 for Christmas.

Seriously, I'm only hating that I can't play it on my PC. I have no intention to use a different platform soooo...I'm locked out.

Robokapp,

I feel bad for each of you who want to play that cant due to the platform restriction. If you had a PS3 you could also be playing God of War Multiplayer Online BETA as well. As well as reliving those Final Fantasy VII times. I seriously do feel bad for players who only use one type of platform for his or her gaming experience.

Meh. I'm not much of a shooter fan. I woul have only played it because it's EVE-flavored. The last shooter that was something-else-flavore that I played (an still do sometimes) is....C&C Renegade. I'm not an action-oriented player in my games so msot PS3 games wouldn't be relevant to me. I play things like city builders and stuff. :D

eve-based item and skill systems but actually with a floor under your two feet though...would've been cool.

Heh, I love build and kill games. Command and Conquer series is one of the better franchises. Although I am a Starcraft junkie at heart and a Masters of Orion fanatic when it comes to those. I have Civ5 for my PS3, just bought a week ago. Still have not opened it..lol. I am very addicted to Dust. Play it at least 4 days a couple hours each every week. Great game just to jump into and play. Especially with my intense work situation. I log in, spend SP's if available. See if I can either make a new dropsuit or upgrade a current fit. Set my next set of goals.Then off to battle for some fun :-D

• sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by tank017

Also,I watched some gameplay videos and the game looks super slow for a shooter.

thats cause its not call of noobfare is why

Originally posted by sidfu

Dont play that, havent since the first modern warfare.

but yes,that game is also much faster.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by sidfu

UT called, it said you shouldnt mock the snails

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I feel the need to address this thread for various reasons.  As a Game Design student these are my thoughts on DUST 514…

#1 Why Console over PC?

They say it is because they do not want to drag players away from EVE; they say they want to try expanding to a different audience (Console Players).  That’s great.  Only a few problems with this however…

1.        DUST 514 is an FPS game that can be played on a casual level.  FPS means that it will not compete for the bulk of EVE players and it being a game people can play casually means EVE players can enjoy both as many already do because they own a PS3. 

2.       Console shooter games more often than not die out quickly when the next big name title is released.  The Console market does not have the staying power the PC market currently has.

3.       The PS4 is right around the corner.  I hope they planned for this because if their game does not work on the PS4 or make use of the more powerful hardware all this effort is for not. 

Long story short DUST 514 should have been and rightfully should be a PC product because…

1.        Gives access to 100% of CPPs fan base and current EVE players who would play the game at least on a casual level.  That is at least 400K people. 

2.       Hardware / Graphics / Controls PC hands down beat the PS3.  DUST 514 will always be known as a Console port even if there does end up being a PC client in the future. (PCs were doing 32 man teams TEN years ago)

3.       Longevity / Upgradability.  If they improve the game for the PS4 what about the PS3 users? PCs can at least be upgraded.

Gameplay wise I have not played too much, I have been a Beta tester for ages however could not get into it at the time I gained access because of the lack of players online (I realize times have changed in that regard).

Great concept gone to waste is the opinion of this Game Design student.  Someday in the future this game will be looked at by students such as myself as a lesson is what not to do. 

Full Sail University - Game Design

• DTOracleDTOracle Member Posts: 2

@Southpaw.gamer

I have 3 questions for you.

How does going to school for game design, give you any expertise in business & marketing?

How many F2P FPS's are currently avaible or slated for release this year on PC?

How many F2P FPS's on any console ever?

Simple enough to me, but then again i'm not a game design student. : P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Robokapp,

Don't feel bad, for some of us there is no other gaming platform but the PC and even more, no other games but MMORPG's.

Edit: oh yeah, and only play one MMORPG at a time  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Southpaw.Gamer

Great concept gone to waste is the opinion of this Game Design student.  Someday in the future this game will be looked at by students such as myself as a lesson is what not to do. 

I remember many years ago when EVE first started out. It had a similar response from the"Know" community. We see how that worked out :-D

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I feel the need to address this thread for various reasons.  As a Game Design student these are my thoughts on DUST 514…

#1 Why Console over PC?

They say it is because they do not want to drag players away from EVE; they say they want to try expanding to a different audience (Console Players).  That’s great.  Only a few problems with this however…

1.        DUST 514 is an FPS game that can be played on a casual level.  FPS means that it will not compete for the bulk of EVE players and it being a game people can play casually means EVE players can enjoy both as many already do because they own a PS3. 

2.       Console shooter games more often than not die out quickly when the next big name title is released.  The Console market does not have the staying power the PC market currently has.

3.       The PS4 is right around the corner.  I hope they planned for this because if their game does not work on the PS4 or make use of the more powerful hardware all this effort is for not. 

One of the reasons that console gamers abandon games so fast is because the developers do, and also there is no real community built up behind them. Even in the closed beta there is a community forming and that along with the constant updates will keep people in the game. You wouldn't believe how many times I've heard in game since open beta how awesome people think the mmo aspect is for the game, especially when you tell them what's still to come. CCP is already planning for migrating to the ps4. The game is using Unreal Engine which is already stated to run on ps4 and the game is a PSN game so nothing is tying it to ps3 in the first place. they oould fairly easily release a ps4 client. Also rumour has it that the ps4 and nextbox are both using standard architecture amd processors so it would be easy to port to other platforms should microsoft decide to remove it's head from it's ass.

Long story short DUST 514 should have been and rightfully should be a PC product because…

1.        Gives access to 100% of CPPs fan base and current EVE players who would play the game at least on a casual level.  That is at least 400K people. 

Playstation owners is in the 10's of millions and includes some EVE players already. 

2.       Hardware / Graphics / Controls PC hands down beat the PS3.  DUST 514 will always be known as a Console port even if there does end up being a PC client in the future. (PCs were doing 32 man teams TEN years ago)

This is true but with PS3 they everyone has the same specs so easier to hunt down bugs.

3.       Longevity / Upgradability.  If they improve the game for the PS4 what about the PS3 users? PCs can at least be upgraded.

And for the cost of a PC upgrade you could probably buy a ps4 (they are targetting a price of $400 at lauch last i heard) 

Gameplay wise I have not played too much, I have been a Beta tester for ages however could not get into it at the time I gained access because of the lack of players online (I realize times have changed in that regard).

Well if you haven't played in awhile i'd recommend checking it out. There is a huge difference in the game now from when the beta kicked off last year.

Similar words have been said about CCP's otherr game and it continues to be proven wrong year after year.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I am one of those people who would like to try it out but only has a PC and an Xbox 360 with no intention to buy a PS3 a few months before the PS4 comes out.  If it had been on both Xbox and PS3 then it would have been much better.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I'd rather just test it out for myself but I'm not buying a friggin PS3 just to see if it's any good.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

#1 Why Console over PC?

I didn't quite follow that because you seemed to pretty much kill your own argument that it is a problem that it's on PS3.

Which persistent multiplayer console MMOFPS's with recurring updates and a link to another game are you using as your basis of comparison?

Even the most cursory research reveals that the introduction of a new generations system doesn't cause the death of the existing generation. That's been pretty consistent for at least the past four generations. There's no data to indicate the eighth gen systems will deviate from that pattern.

The bad assumption that because they like the MMO, they will play the FPS.

H/G/C is true of any game when comparing PC to console. Do you measure every console game on what it would be like had it been made for PC?  I follow DUST 514 news avidly. Have done so for about four years now. I haven't seen a single developer discussion or media article describe it as a console port. Since there isn't a PC version, I'm curious if you really know what that term means.

Sounds like a good question once more is even known about the PS4. That aside, history has shown that existing models still have a good 3 year run after the release of a new system, so I don't think players, devs or SOE are really focusing on a PS4 version just yet.    Or are they.... /Twilight Zone music

Is it too late to switch majors?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Raventree
    I am one of those people who would like to try it out but only has a PC and an Xbox 360 with no intention to buy a PS3 a few months before the PS4 comes out.  If it had been on both Xbox and PS3 then it would have been much better.

Blame XBox for that one. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I like DUST.

I also like the skill point cap - it's CCP's way of telling you there is life outside of MMORPGs.

• DTOracleDTOracle Member Posts: 2
    I game on PC & PS3. & a quick search will net you more than 30+ F2P FPS titles for PC. With more like Firefall & Warface coming soon. If you ask me, CCP made the smartest business decision possible. Why try & compete for a increasingly saturated market, when you have absolutly no competition consoles?
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I think the biggest misconception here is that Dust would exist without the PS3. It probably wouldn't.

Sony funded a fair amount of the project, so if it wasn't for that **1-year** PS exclusivity contract, you probably wouldn't have a game to hate on or spread misconceptions about.

So when the haters cry about how Dust a PS3-only game and CCP screwed the pooch on that choice, they're really just being ignorant.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

They stopped manufacture of the PS2 last month, it was outselling the PS3 as late as 2009. I doubt very much whether the PS4 will kill the 3 off within 5 years minimum.

pssht, game design students these days.