Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movies based on MMORPGs

Ok guys, I think many of you know what I am talking about.  There is a movie in production based on a certain mmorpg that many of us around here don't care for (ME).  OK, so it would not be my first choice for a mmo based movie, but warcraft at least has lore with some memorable characters and if the movie is anything like blizzards CGI it will be great visual quality.  It is pretty cool to know that mmorpg's can rise to the level of being worth having a movie.

That being said, THIS MUST HAPPEN:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/02/01

When I first saw the comic, I thought it was a cheap laugh.  But it somehow stuck with me and I keep seeing it again and again in my head.  

For starters, I was just thinking about a movie I enjoyed called Super 8.  You probably know of it as the spelberg throwback to old kid vs unseen scary monster movies.  Well I read somewhere that soon to be starwars director JJ Adams was also behind Super 8, and that was pretty reassuring for me as far as starwars goes, because Super 8 was a great throwback.

Then I was thinking, how in the world could a movie be made about WoW without sucking terribly??  Then I realized it...  WoW has always had a lot of pop culture references and pokes fun of itself a lot.  Why not make a throwback to fantasy stories like Narnia and the countless sci-fi channel movies about kids discovering magic, etc?  It really could work well as long as it does not take itself seriously, and it would be a fun twist on an otherwise mediocre video-game to movie.  It would be a great way for wow's movie to separate itself from other failed video-game to movies such as doom or tomb raider or who know what else I cant even remember them because they are so mediocre.

PS, lets be classy guys and not discuss if wow is a good game or not.  Instead talk about mmorpgs into movies, etc.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What about a massively multiplayer version of "The Neverending Story" ?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    It has always been my policy to avoid any movie based on a computer game... oh and any sequal of a movie that was made more than 10 years ago. That has served me well so far.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• LauraFrostLauraFrost Member Posts: 95

The only game I still want to see as a movie is Monkey Island.

Here's my cast :P

Guybrush Threepwood: Jay Mohr

Elaine: Anna Faris

LeChuck: Geoffrey Rush

Stan: Jim Carey

Mojo Lady: Whoopi Goldberg

Largo LeGrand: Jeffery Ross

Cannibals: Sasha Cohen and Chris Rock

Murray: A CGI skull same voice actor

I would watch this movie even if it SUCKS. :P

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor
    It has always been my policy to avoid any movie based on a computer game... oh and any sequal of a movie that was made more than 10 years ago. That has served me well so far.

So I take it you haven't seen Bloodrayne, Bloodrayne 2, or Bloodrayne: The Third Reich?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre