Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Practical Thoughts on Add-ons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It is the sign of great intellect to admit that sometimes we don't actually know it all. In this week's Devil's Advocate, we take a further look into game add-ons with some new ideas and thoughts gleaned from you, our readers. Check it out and then add your voice to the comments.

The Devil’s Advocate piece on add-ons was not one of my favorite things to write. In the process of writing it, I began contradicting myself so badly that I scrapped my original draft and reworked my writing. Instead of forming a dissenting opinion or anything resembling coherence, I felt confused by my attempts to discuss add-ons. 

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Devil's Advocate: Practical Thoughts on Add-ons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GRedstormGRedstorm Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Played WoW for 7 years and had every add-on that was avl.However after playing a myriad of games during and since I stopped WoW(Panda's did it for me) I find that i don't miss them.Imho,looking back,I found that they made the game less "exciting" in a find your own way through the game type of way.So,instead of being a "robot" type Player,I now ask my guildies or even strangers for advice.that is,imho,proper gameplay.
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Some do take away from the game no doubt, but then some and I'm really pointing at healbot/grid add to the game. When I'm healing if I didn't have the healing addons, I couldn't be the one person that is paying attention to the big picture and reflecting on what went wrong when it does go wrong. I get nice graphical feedback in realtime and know where to look, I think it really gives wow i particular a different feel, it gives me a chance to be more of an observer, its not for everyone, but I think its great.
  • KreetureKreeture Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Add ons take away from the whole reason i play mmo's
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Maybe re-read the last comments from your initial love-fest for add-ons. We, the majority of gamers, do not like them. They destory game balance, and open doors to hackers in-game and into your personal privacy. Not to mention the privacy info of all the fellow gamers you play with when you allow them into your game.

No, I give these add-on makers no credit. I would give them credit if they went to the game developers themselves, showed them their apps and asked for a job. Otherwise, they are just keyloggers sitting in trojan horses with pink bows on top.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Rider071

Wow, you've had add-ons that have done that to you? Sorry to hear

Personally when I started playing would I didn't use any but I always thought to myself with how much buttons wow had at the time and some of the bars was like to the extreme right of the screen, I had always wish if I could move those bars and shrink them.. Then I discovered add-ons and its like a whole new experience and the game become more personalized to how I like it set up, now I find it hard if games don't allow me to resize and move stuff around its a turn off...
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Not much middle ground. After years of forum wars over them, it's one of the reliable-trolling MMO Abortion topics (never-ending debate with a ton of flame potential and polarized teams that just drags on and on forever).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.