Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your concerns about TESO?

Comments

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

My concern is... my job, my health and my family. ESO is a videogame, it doesn't concern me at all.

If it's fun I'll play it. If it's not I won't. 

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    NONE - dont plan on playing it...they lost my support and i wil only support the TES series not sum cheap knock off of a MMO that shud have never been....i sense another SWTOR aspop is split down the middle ppl who like pvp and ppl who dont...

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    The things that make game's like Fallout 3 and Skyrim special are completely lost in an MMO setting.  What your left with is a weak combat system and the same MMO themepark experience that's been done to death.   I don't see anything excited about this game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    NONE - dont plan on playing it...they lost my support and i wil only support the TES series not sum cheap knock off of a MMO that shud have never been....i sense another SWTOR aspop is split down the middle ppl who like pvp and ppl who dont...

actually its not split down the middle, in game surveys have usually given it a 80 percent PVE 20 Percent PVP split, in terms of player focus, although the 80 percent PVE are usually in favour of occasional PVP. image

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    My concern is, its not going to differentiate itself from any other themepark mmo. Same stuff different scenery, different lore. 90 day MMO at most.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    My main concern is that Zenimax remembers to include M'aiq the Liar into the game for all factions to enjoy.  If they don't include him this game will be an obvious bomb. :P
  • FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

Concerns?

1. One cash shop to rule them all;

2. Far too easy content so you're done in no time;

3. Bad looking characters and sexist clothes for females;

4. No endgame content

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

I have been arguably a huge skeptic of TESO. Hell back at announce I started the FB betrayal page. Ive cooled down but I still have some concerns.

1. Faction Lock. Now I know the PVPers will come in here and say its necessary for pvp but I ask you wouldnt 3 OPEN factions which you have the chance to join net the same thing? Hypothetically, what if there was 3 factions who are all race mixed but wanna rule Tamriel for different reasons? Why cant I as a Bosmer pick one of those three instead of being forced into one?

No, it wouldn't be the same. And having everyone go anywhere wouldn't make sense within the story or mechanics of the game. Faction locks are absolutely necessary for the game to function.

What am I concerned about?? How much WoW is mentioned in interviews. The game has quest based leveling, instancing, and phasing. Three things no MMO should have. 

And, on top of that, the megaserver will essentially ruin RvR. 

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

I have been arguably a huge skeptic of TESO. Hell back at announce I started the FB betrayal page. Ive cooled down but I still have some concerns.

1. Faction Lock. Now I know the PVPers will come in here and say its necessary for pvp but I ask you wouldnt 3 OPEN factions which you have the chance to join net the same thing? Hypothetically, what if there was 3 factions who are all race mixed but wanna rule Tamriel for different reasons? Why cant I as a Bosmer pick one of those three instead of being forced into one? Also this is terrible for a lot of guilds mine included, none of us can agree on which faction to roll.

2. If I remember correctly in one of the videos a dev said once you get to 50 the game really opens up. This implies that leveling isnt really all that important. Why cant leveling be jsut all relevent as cap? This is why I now support level less games.

3. What if RVR sucks? This is a PVP focused game after all and what if the RvR is abysmal?

4. Classes, now I know they are loose classes by why have them to begin with? Why cant you be like Skyrim allowing you to level up skills and mixing them together?

5. Announcement seemed more like Damage Control for the incoming Shit storm. If I remember correctly they said Player housing wasnt possible and neither was true action combat. Even though weve seen both work and work well.

6. Obvious wow clone worries. The western dev market has been pretty bleak the recent years. With either devs releasing to early or releasing blatant wow clones.

What do you guys think? What are your concerns? Now please be constructive with any feedback you have. I dont want this turning into a fanboy vs hater thread.

I concur.  I just don't see this game being anything more than a 2013 version of Warhammer Online with another solid IP.

Its not going to compete well with Blade & Soul and ArcheAge later this year either. 

What am I concerned about?? How much WoW is mentioned in interviews. The game has quest based leveling, instancing, and phasing. Three things no MMO should have. 

But how can you have challenging content without instancing?

It will all become one big zerg fest with everyone mindlessly dpssing without a challenge. I mean .. look at GW2 world content .. it's all pretty simple and boring.

And well, levelling, how important is it? You spend 99% of your time at max lvl anyway.

Originally posted by Findariel

Ugh. Is the WoW generation this ignorant?

You program the boss monsters to have dynamic AI that changed in believable ways based on how many people attacked it. 

That, and the game balances itself. In DAoC, people could bring 100 people to a dragon raid, but they'd probably all die, as the dragon would start flying and blasting people with fire when detecting the larger threat. If they managed to kill it anyway, everyone would have a smaller share of the loot. 

There were raids in DAoC that took 8 hours and 200 people. There are some bosses that only ever got killed once.

All without instances. 

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

You program the boss monsters to have dynamic AI that changed in believable ways based on how many people attacked it. 

That, and the game balances itself. In DAoC, people could bring 100 people to a dragon raid, but they'd probably all die, as the dragon would start flying and blasting people with fire when detecting the larger threat. If they managed to kill it anyway, everyone would have a smaller share of the loot. 

There were raids in DAoC that took 8 hours and 200 people. There are some bosses that only ever got killed once.

All without instances. 

Which is exactly how gw2's world boss events are supposed to work, the problem is you cant effectively scale to that many people.

If the game wasnt going to (like gw2) make it so you dont have to be grouped to get credit, then you could have challenging open world content, however because they are it means that open world content can and will be zerged.

Personally I think the no tagging/everyone gets rewarded is a good thing,  but the cost is you pretty much cant have well tuned open world content

Well I hope you're right! At least it sounds 100 times better than GW2's "world bosses", although 8 hours would exclude everyone except extreme hardcore players that don't sleep ^_^
  • DarrgenDarrgen Member UncommonPosts: 65

Well I hope you're right! At least it sounds 100 times better than GW2's "world bosses", although 8 hours would exclude everyone except extreme hardcore players that don't sleep ^_^

That's not really true, even in DaoC casual and hardcore players would participate because unlike other games, casuals would help until they had to leave and others would join in. As they logged on, you weren't locked out just because a raid started at 8pm, if they were only halfway through the dungeon, you could always join the chat and meet up with them halfway through the world raid. So sure you might not get to kill the last guy if you can't be on at the time of the last guy is killed but you'd get stuff from whatever guys you were there to kill. It actually works a lot better for guilds that way. And it's also the reason why some bosses that required 100s of players were only killed a handful of times across all servers. Makes the items that were dropped that much more cool.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daoc pve content was a lot like EQ but with less spawn camping and less gear gating and more inclusiveness. So it was nothing like wow style pve.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

My concern is... my job, my health and my family. ESO is a videogame, it doesn't concern me at all.

If it's fun I'll play it. If it's not I won't. 

"Family, Friends, Food, these are the things that matter most"... Some Pandoarian Monk... ^^

But you have it right.  TES is only a game, and if its entertaining, I'll play it. If its not, I'll not.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

My main concern is that it might fail to innovate, that they might be scared to stray too far from the done and tested WoW/TES formulas. This would make it another GW2/TSW, which is essentially the same thing in different wrapping. TSW was praised for innovation, but the core gameplay elements were so blatantly copycat of previous games, that it didn't really keep my interest up for long.

A few of the symptoms of a game that fails to innovate:

1. Dumbed down player interaction. Basically it means that everything you do that can affect other players, can only happen after they have given their okay word for it.

2. Loot and gear is divided into quality levels, and surpassing a low level piece of equipment makes it obselete.

3. Grouping - The whole concept of creating or needing parties to overcome certain content.

4. Endgame gear improvement grind/treadmill.

5. Low level areas become obselete for high level players, effectively locking them to a few high level zones.

6. (tab) Target based combat, supported by a set of skills with different power and cooldown lengths.

7. Linear kill/fetch quests with no attempt to build any kind of storyline into them, other than some trivial reasons like the NPC being dangered by the mobs, or needing materials to fix something.

8. Traditional group content - a dungeon, with a bunch of bosses, and a bunch of trashmobs in between. Drops within said dungeon usually surpass the best gear that players can find outside of dungeons or craft.

9. 'Pits' of monsters. Certain areas where there are 10-20 of the same type of mobs, standing there, waiting to be killed by the players. Usually with a short aggro range to prevent a frustrating death.

10. Low or no risk of losing anything upon death. The term 'backwards progression' hasn't existed in MMOs for a while now. The most severe punishment for death is losing gear durability, or a chunk of xp.

11. All, or the majority, of content is open to all players, regardless of the type of character they created. Developers don't like to restrict players from certain content, because it took time to create, and if the player never, or rarely experiences it, it wasn't worth the development time. A huge potential is missed here, due to the greed of developers.

12. A combat system based on numbers. "You have 10,000 health, and my dagger does 2000 damage per hit, meaning I have to hit you 5 times to kill you". Lack of features such as execution, stealth, striking a weak spot, or surprise, make MMO combat in general a very predictable, thus boring, affair.

13. Lack of gear that is universally useful, regardless of the player's progress into a game. Gear that you might find at level 5, but still use at level 50 due to a special ability it provides. This kind of initiative is usually destroyed by numbers. It has less armor rating, it holds 1 rune instead of 2 etc. which forces the player to swap it out eventually.

14. Killing is the main means of acquiring gear and items/objects. This point includes the whole concept of loot tables and drop chances. Having gold drops from wolves, or an iron platemail drop from a bird is common.

15. No serious consequences of belonging to a faction. Everyone is still happy and friendly, even though their lore might suggest that they support the rivaling faction.

16. Aside from dying, there aren't a lot of ways to fail content. Maybe i take a quest from a shopkeeper, who promises me 1000 gold upon completion. But during the quest, his son who agreed to help me, gets killed by bandits. Now the shopkeeper would refuse to trade with me. <- an example of how risk and reward should be balanced, instead of a constant reward-reward-reward.

17. 3rd person mode. This goes well with the tab-targeting combat system of most MMOs.

18. Quest markers, fully opened up map from the start. No sense of "I wonder what's in that direction", if you can just press M and see everything.

19. Holy trinity. The concept of requiring someone to take damage, and someone else to recover that damage, and someone third to decrease the health number of whatever is doing that damage. First person shooters are far more creative in this regard.

Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

All without instances. 

Which is exactly how gw2's world boss events are supposed to work, the problem is you cant effectively scale to that many people.

Except that you absolutely can, as DAoC did in the past. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Concerns ?

zero....zip....nada....none

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

My biggest concern is bugs.

Bethesda and its affiliated companies have a nasty habbit of releasing buggy games and not really fixing them. If they carry this unfortunate tradition over to the MMO scene, the game won't last long. MMO players are a lot more unforgiving. I just hope they understand how important this is. 

Also, I hope the guys who programmed the AI in Skyrim have nothing to do with ESO. Especially the follower AI was horrible and frustrating. I even decided to give Lydia the boot because she did more harm than good with her blocking every doorway and getting stuck all the time.

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

My concerns are... The "Haters" if they whine enough, like they usually do. It can cause Zenimax to make bad descision and cause more harm then good to the game.

But I hope it doesnt get to that.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Piquet
    I hope they don't have followers AT ALL.followers don't belong in a mmo. I hated it in gw, I hate it in swtor. The point of a mmo is grouping with other people, having a robot in your pocket defeats the purpose.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Hard to have concerns when i didn't even play the game. I hope i get into beta and form opinions on basis of my own personal experince. But as far as core and fundamental design is concerned i have no problems with it so far.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GrumpyBuddhaGrumpyBuddha Member Posts: 8
    My only concern is if it runs well on OSX.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by GrumpyBuddha
    My only concern is if it runs well on OSX.

There is an OSX beta, SO yes. It will.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development