Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Lot of ARPG Elements?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I just watched the trailer for the great weapon fighter, and the video mentioned that attacks are bound to the mouse keys like in D3 and Path of Exile.  Is this going to play like a traditional MMO, or more like an ARPG?  D&D should be about strategy, not clicking the left mouse button over and over.

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by vigg2004
    I just watched the trailer for the great weapon fighter, and the video mentioned that attacks are bound to the mouse keys like in D3 and Path of Exile.  Is this going to play like a traditional MMO, or more like an ARPG?  D&D should be about strategy, not clicking the left mouse button over and over.

Yes its an action style MMO with the Forgotten Realms lore.

If your statement was true then I am most positive Wizard of the Coast would of never green lighted the project.  But since they did your statement is not true.  Last time I looked WotC is owners of the IP and not vigg2004.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    ...what?

I was wrong.  After watching this old  video, looks like the game (control wizard at least) is more of a damned console game than anything.  Endless, rapid-fire spell casting?  Yeah, that's D&D...Should appeal to the console kids who are new to MMO's, anyway.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I was wrong.  After watching this old  video, looks like the game (control wizard at least) is more of a damned console game than anything.  Endless, rapid-fire spell casting?  Yeah, that's D&D...Should appeal to the console kids who are new to MMO's, anyway. 
    If you don't like it then don't play it. Simple as that!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I take that you are not familiar with the 4th Edition of D&D, which is what this game is based on?

You can spam your basic spells in 4th edition every round without ever running out.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

i'm excited about this action combat. Why have 100 skills with long timers,  and tab targeting? you like that?

They did tab targeting in early MMORPGS because of the slow internet back then, they had to put limitations in the combat. They then added 100 skills, some with long timers so you had a feeling of making decisions in combat I guess.

This action combat with manual target is closer to real combat. You have to actually aim and strike, and move to evade attacks.

If you like the old system better, you would like to go furher back to the text based MUDs too? :)

To each their own, but if you like tab targeting and auto attack and 100 skills with long timers...  

You really like the old system?

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250

I regard DDO combat to be true action combat.

You can outrun magic issile (my monk used to).

If NW claims action combat, it has to be next level from there and not a level back. This is hard to do, I won't really expect much, though I will hope for best.

Originally posted by Arcona

i'm excited about this action combat. Why have 100 skills with long timers,  and tab targeting? you like that?

They did tab targeting in early MMORPGS because of the slow internet back then, they had to put limitations in the combat. They then added 100 skills, some with long timers so you had a feeling of making decisions in combat I guess.

This action combat with manual target is closer to real combat. You have to actually aim and strike, and move to evade attacks.

If you like the old system better, you would like to go furher back to the text based MUDs too? :)

To each their own, but if you like tab targeting and auto attack and 100 skills with long timers...  

You really like the old system?

Yes, I honestly prefer the old system.  I grew up playing C64 RPG's which were largely turn based.  I'm not a twitchy gamer.  I think I'm just getting too old for the new generation of action combat MMO's.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Considering that Cryptic's engine was designed specificaly to adapt games for consoles, it should come as no surprise their games play like they are for console. It's a weak game engine that is dated and limiited in abilites.