Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

JJ Abrams Directing Star Wars

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by iamthekiller
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Lucas has confirmed that the Rebels will go through a wormhole, transversing time, to save an Oldish Obi-wan from Darth Vader. (This is why it appears he disappeared to Vadder).

Obi-Wan will be reprised by Ewan McGregor.

I would ask you for source...but this makes so little sense I already know it's BS.

BS?

It fit's canon perfectly.

All those glowing dead Jedis, thery're not dead, they're just time travelling. (Ultimate manifestation of control over the Force.)

Yeah I'm bullshitting, but don't be surprised if my bullshitting isn't far from what we see.

Yeah, sadly I pretty much feel the same way. I wish they would just leave the original movies be and move on. Why not make some movies with all new actors using the KOTOR era as backdrop?

Or SWTOR: The Movie

Don't even joke about that Ref! You'll jinx the whole thing. That era is no good for movies, they can't get the technology design and consistency right.

So long as they focus on the high level end game armour for the design inspiration we are good to go.

Hahaha thanks, made my day.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    This guy breathe a new life in Sta Trek and i hope he can do the same for Star Wars.

He turned Star Trek into Star Wars, removed the intelligence and replaced it with plot holes and mindless action...I wonder if he is seeking balance and we are going to see Star Wars turned into Star Trek....

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I actually enjoyed the new Star Trek movie, of course the older trek was better, but I still think it was a solid movie given the mentality of people today.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by FromHell

Disney Star Wars directed by JJ Abrams would be a nightmare.

All the actors from High School musical in space, plus flares. Blergh.

You know you'll go see it  :P

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sagethorn

Disney Star Wars directed by JJ Abrams would be a nightmare.

All the actors from High School musical in space, plus flares. Blergh.

You know you'll go see it  :P

Yeah, because that is exactly how the Marvel movies have been. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Yeah, because that is exactly how the Marvel movies have been. 

yea the marvel movies since Disney took over have been the best superhero movies outside Nolan's Batman imho.. i really can't see this being bad honestly i'm betting on it being the best star wars movie yet:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Movies will have nice effects,and alot flares
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Disney is a business more so than Disney is a brand.

People can't get away from the brand.

So they assume everything they do will be Mickey Mouse.

Umm no, it's not.

For example - Disney owns 80% of ESPN.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

What a complete joke, same director for Star Trek and Star Wars??

I hate those stupid lense flare effects and Abrams whole directing style just sucks monkey balls, great Disney, thanks for ruining the new movies before even start shooting.

The whole Star Wars franchise went down hill with the prequels, then SWTOR, now JJ Abrams directing the sequels? Guess I´m officially done with Star Wars. 

Oh let me guess who will do the music! Disney darling Hans Zimmer maybe? Perhaps they´ll scrap John Willims music, if they want to further butcher the IP this makes totally sense.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I hate those stupid lense flare effects and Abrams whole directing style just sucks monkey balls, great Disney, thanks for ruining the new movies before even start shooting.

The whole Star Wars franchise went down hill with the prequels, then SWTOR, now JJ Abrams directing the sequels? Guess I´m officially done with Star Wars. 

Oh let me guess who will do the music! Disney darling Hans Zimmer maybe? Perhaps they´ll scrap John Willims music, if they want to further butcher the IP this makes totally sense.

I actually thought the idea of Ben Affleck was more interesting.  He really seemed to get the vibe of the 70's in Argo, and I think he might have put more focus on the characters, which really made Star Wars what it was.  Star Wars succeeded in spite of George Lucas because of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, and I think Affleck, of all the directors, understood this.  Keep in mind that the director of Empire, Lawrence Kasdan, had never done an SF movie before then.  Star Wars needs interesting characters first and foremost, a dash of drama and humor, and special effects as tertiary.  I want DIRT brought back to the Star Wars franchise....

Too many movies today are just action-packed zergfests.  The Hunger Games was the only one I've seen recently that overcame that.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Id rather they use a Director that prefers the OT and maybe even stood in line at the theatre is 77 instead of the "Director Du Jour"

I wonder if Abrams will film this in his trademark "Alternate Timeline/Parallel Universe" style

Any bets on if the next incarnation of SW will be worse than the Prequels?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Lucas has confirmed that the Rebels will go through a wormhole, transversing time, to save an Oldish Obi-wan from Darth Vader. (This is why it appears he disappeared to Vadder).

Obi-Wan will be reprised by Ewan McGregor.

I would ask you for source...but this makes so little sense I already know it's BS.

Nothing gets past you ;)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Id rather they use a Director that prefers the OT and maybe even stood in line at the theatre is 77 instead of the "Director Du Jour"

So, someone like, say, JJ Abrams then? ;)

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    JJ is awesome. Haters gonna hate. Star Trek frenchise was dead before this guy gave it much needed CPR. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Kniknax

I didnt realize he was 46. Thought he was much younger.

Is he a hardcore fan of the OT?

If you ask Abrams, Who shot first? What would his answer be?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Ortwig

I actually thought the idea of Ben Affleck was more interesting.  He really seemed to get the vibe of the 70's in Argo, and I think he might have put more focus on the characters, which really made Star Wars what it was.  Star Wars succeeded in spite of George Lucas because of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, and I think Affleck, of all the directors, understood this.  Keep in mind that the director of Empire, Lawrence Kasdan, had never done an SF movie before then.  Star Wars needs interesting characters first and foremost, a dash of drama and humor, and special effects as tertiary.  I want DIRT brought back to the Star Wars franchise....

Too many movies today are just action-packed zergfests.  The Hunger Games was the only one I've seen recently that overcame that.

Lawrence Kasdan was a writer for Empire, not the director.  Irvin Kershner was the director.  He was also George Lucas' professor at USC.

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Lawrence Kasdan was a writer for Empire, not the director.  Irvin Kershner was the director.  He was also George Lucas' professor at USC.

Oops right on that; I knew had that mixed up.  The lack of SF directing experience statement (for Irvin) stands, though.  Previous work included :

1976 Raid on Entebbe (TV movie) 

1974 S*P*Y*S

1970 Loving

1963 Kraft Suspense Theatre (TV series)

1961 Cain's Hundred (TV series) 

1958 Now Is Tomorrow (TV movie)

The important thing is a GOOD director, not an SF director.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Kirk

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    JJ is awesome. Haters gonna hate. Star Trek frenchise was dead before this guy gave it much needed CPR. 

oh wow, adding young good looking actors, lensflares and upping the special fx budget! what a GENIUS this guy is.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

oh wow, adding young good looking actors, lensflares and upping the special fx budget! what a GENIUS this guy is.

Well let's see...

2002 Nemesis

Worldwide:  $67,312,826  

Tomatometer: 38%

2009 Star Trek

Worldwide:  $385,680,446  

Tomatometer: 95%

Genius or not, the last movie was way better than the crap that proceeded it. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I have this horrible image of a movie:  Attack of the Jar Jar Clones.......
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Jar Jar wouldn't be that bad if Lucas was in tune with the seriousness that Star Wars commands.

Around the same time, the Star Wars Trilogy appeared around the same time as LoTR, more or less.

I never saw Frodo say "with this you will pay", to be followed with "< crack > oh I'm dead now I'll pay with visa."  Nobody actually said that, but just a point to highligt how absurd some one-liners are in some genre's

. .. in Star Wars, you get other one-liners like "This is such a drag", in which C3PO's head was being dragged on the ground (ep-5).  Many more exist.

[The Hobbit was dumbed down with Lucas style jokes, along with senseless fights to extend the film. - it includes stupid one-liners as well ruining the movie to me.  I can't do justice to the phrase in The hobbit {when the Orc was being dropped over a cliff, stupid phrase}, like "oh I guess I will die now", (to Bilbo's plea to just Die Now).)  .. but I saw it once, and it was pretty pathietic.  Other scenese were bad too.]

J.R. Tolkien would roll in his grave.  George Lucas just laughs.

/sigh

Movies today are dumb.  They have no respect for what made the theme even possible.  Just some new financial institual trying to make a quick buck.   Nobody cares about fans, just about how much $$ they can make on the box office.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Jar Jar wouldn't be that bad if Lucas was in tune with the seriousness that Star Wars commands.

Around the same time, the Star Wars Trilogy appeared around the same time as LoTR, more or less.

I never saw Frodo say "with this you will pay", to be followed with "< crack > oh I'm dead now I'll pay with visa."  Nobody actually said that, but just a point to highligt how absurd some one-liners are in some genre's

. .. in Star Wars, you get other one-liners like "This is such a drag", in which C3PO's head was being dragged on the ground (ep-5).  Many more exist.

[The Hobbit was dumbed down with Lucas style jokes, along with senseless fights to extend the film. - it includes stupid one-liners as well ruining the movie to me.  I can't do justice to the phrase in The hobbit {when the Orc was being dropped over a cliff, stupid phrase}, like "oh I guess I will die now", (to Bilbo's plea to just Die Now).)  .. but I saw it once, and it was pretty pathietic.  Other scenese were bad too.]

J.R. Tolkien would roll in his grave.  George Lucas just laughs.

/sigh

Movies today are dumb.  They have no respect for what made the theme even possible.  Just some new financial institual trying to make a quick buck.   Nobody cares about fans, just about how much $$ they can make on the box office.

I would like to see someone do a movie of lord of the rings where the hobbits are mobsters.  In the end, they get rid of all the bad guys and the elves and even the king gets on one knee to them.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Kirk

This is the best post of the year thus far.