Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sooo PVP was dropped?

cwliiascwliias Member UncommonPosts: 31

Everything pertaining to PVP on the website and here has been removed, i know they postponed release so they could release the game with PVP.... But now they dumped the whole thing?

Am i wrong? hope so

Comments

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Hmm, I could be horribly wrong, but I never once heard the game was postponed for pvp reasons. Actually they never have given an actual release date. As far as dropping pvp, never heard that either and I usually check the forums daily, but then again I'm not very interested in pvp and don't pay much attention to it.  I'm going to to check the official forums.
  • salanaesalanae Member UncommonPosts: 5

could be good to have a game focusing on PvE.

there is too many games focusing on PvP lately, or trying (and failing) to do both.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    This is great news if true.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by cwliias

Everything pertaining to PVP on the website and here has been removed, i know they postponed release so they could release the game with PVP.... But now they dumped the whole thing?

Am i wrong? hope so

Uh you have it around the wrong way. They always said it would not release with PvP, and that they would add it in later.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It would only be pointless wow style instanced bollocks anyway.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439

Whoa! Wait a minute! The D&D IP had been treated so poorly by developers the last few years, that I completely discounted this game, but I may have to put it on the "Must Try" list.

Are you telling me that Neverwinter is going to focus on PVE, using D&D mechanics, without bastardizing the hell out of the rules for the sake of "PVP balance"? If so, I need to break out the credit card and get me some Drow goodness baby!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    People should be glad. PvP has never been Cryptics strong point, it's always just tacked on as an afterthought and their attempts at balancing would be funny if they weren't so bad.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    People should be glad. PvP has never been Cryptics strong point, it's always just tacked on as an afterthought and their attempts at balancing would be funny if they weren't so bad.

actually pvp was never any mmos strong point so far (okai, maybe daoc's).

having instanced battlegrounds without any real meaning to the game's advancement is nothing you should be proud of imo ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    D&D in the traditional sense of the universe is a PVE table top game, to have an MMO version of D&D with pvp elements would be... tearing the skin off D&D and slapping it on something else for the hell of it. This change while it will piss many people off (AN MMO WITHOUT PVP?!?! CAREBEAR HEAVEN!) it could allow for more PVE polish, perhaps a smarter AI which will challenge people beyond what a average level PVPer could ( I dream I know).

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    D&D in the traditional sense of the universe is a PVE table top game, to have an MMO version of D&D with pvp elements would be... tearing the skin off D&D and slapping it on something else for the hell of it. This change while it will piss many people off (AN MMO WITHOUT PVP?!?! CAREBEAR HEAVEN!) it could allow for more PVE polish, perhaps a smarter AI which will challenge people beyond what a average level PVPer could ( I dream I know).

Except (and I seem to be bringing this up a lot lately) D&D is subject to the creative whims of the DM. Gary Gygax himself even stated that DM's should feel free to add to the game, throw out bits, etc.

So with that thinking in mind, any version of D&D that included pvp would fall under that same logic.

As a point of note, sometimes, in my campaigns, there would be pvp.

The only Canon for D&D is that the players and the DM are free to create their own canon.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There was also that tabletop battle ruleset for d & d, simmilar to warhammer.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Playermade content is an intense thing.

If it gets good and really promoted it means the game has endless content, considering the "dungeon masters" put some effort into it.

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Except (and I seem to be bringing this up a lot lately) D&D is subject to the creative whims of the DM. Gary Gygax himself even stated that DM's should feel free to add to the game, throw out bits, etc.

So with that thinking in mind, any version of D&D that included pvp would fall under that same logic.

The only Canon for D&D is that the players and the DM are free to create their own canon.

Everything you say is true, and PVP can be used to create some great campaign scenarios.

The problem start coming when the message boards get flooded with gamers complaining about class balance. I don't know about the latest ruleset (4.5 is it?), but at no time since 1st edition and through 3rd edition have the classes been "balanced" for solo gameplay. So, while you can certainly run campaigns where there is only one player, a good DM is probably going to have to do some tweaking depending on the player's selected class.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by BitterClinger

Everything you say is true, and PVP can be used to create some great campaign scenarios.

The problem start coming when the message boards get flooded with gamers complaining about class balance. I don't know about the latest ruleset (4.5 is it?), but at no time since 1st edition and through 3rd edition have the classes been "balanced" for solo gameplay. So, while you can certainly run campaigns where there is only one player, a good DM is probably going to have to do some tweaking depending on the player's selected class.

That's true and I'm not sure what the answer is there. MY answer to the players would be "deal with it". The classes are what they are.

Then again, if the idea of D&D is to alter the game to suit the needs of the players/campaign/creative ideas of the DM then it's possible that the classes can be altered.

I never altered any classes in my games but I did throw out a lot of dice rolling as it tended to get in the way of flowing cohesive storytelling.

hmmm, and come to think of it, I actually I had several sessions with solo players. It easily can be done. I don't really think of D&D as solely a "group" game but as a game where one presents an interactive story to one or many players.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Only can only hope there will be no pvp. A game devoid of constant crys for nerfs because a class can do something interesting and fun.

PvP crying is the source of the nerf game in MMO's. I really wish MMO's would just split the two and give out different abilities for each.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    As a PvPer I truly hope never to see PvP in Neverwinter. I'm looking at the game for 2 things and 2 things only. The Foundry and PvE. 
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    As a PvPer I truly hope never to see PvP in Neverwinter. I'm looking at the game for 2 things and 2 things only. The Foundry and PvE. 

Gotta agree. Those are the two things that will make me try this game.

I don't think of PVP when I think of D&D. If they make the PVE fun and the dungeon runs actually exciting, that'll do.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I hope this is not true. There only some many times I can group up, spread out, and move out of stuff. 

I was hoping there would be deep character customization like D&D. I was thinking thatI could dig the pve if it had heavy meta game, after that last column on the stats though it doesn't look like that will be the case. Idk though wait and see /sigh

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by cwliias

Am i wrong? hope so

Uh you have it around the wrong way. They always said it would not release with PvP, and that they would add it in later.

No you have it wrong.  Originally yes, but in Nov/Dec they announced that PvP will be included at launch or was it earlier when the product was delayed?  Either way they did say PvP will be included at launch.

Originally posted by Nikopol

I don't think of PVP when I think of D&D. If they make the PVE fun and the dungeon runs actually exciting, that'll do.

Once you get tired of PvE and your twiddling your thumbs you'll welcome PvP.  PvP is a major pillar in any MMO, no reason not to include it.  All the nay sayers always bring up how their PvE is impacted which is utter horse shit as I've seen more nerfs come from PvE reasons than because of PvP.

Originally posted by BitterClinger

That's true and I'm not sure what the answer is there. MY answer to the players would be "deal with it". The classes are what they are.

Then again, if the idea of D&D is to alter the game to suit the needs of the players/campaign/creative ideas of the DM then it's possible that the classes can be altered.

I never altered any classes in my games but I did throw out a lot of dice rolling as it tended to get in the way of flowing cohesive storytelling.

hmmm, and come to think of it, I actually I had several sessions with solo players. It easily can be done. I don't really think of D&D as solely a "group" game but as a game where one presents an interactive story to one or many players.

People bitch that their class was ruined for "PvP" balance when in reality more nerfs come from PvE justification just as much if not more.  People on the forums keep on singing this tune and it ever gets tiresome.  Or that the fail to see that their class is still as viable as the others, now that it's not the OP class anymore the QQ over it.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Once you get tired of PvE and your twiddling your thumbs you'll welcome PvP.  PvP is a major pillar in any MMO, no reason not to include it.  All the nay sayers always bring up how their PvE is impacted which is utter horse shit as I've seen more nerfs come from PvE reasons than because of PvP.

When I want PvP I go to games that have either designed the game around PvP or at least have invested a great deal of time in the PvP system. 

Games that don't focus on PvP or simply tac on some sort of PvP system don't really give me much of any of that good old PvP joy. 

And no, PvP being an after thought is not a major pillar of any MMO. They've sunk a great deal of time into the PvE and Foundry system, those should be nice to see. They haven't from the sounds of things done the same for PvP, so I simply would rather not see it. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

When I want PvP I go to games that have either designed the game around PvP or at least have invested a great deal of time in the PvP system. 

Games that don't focus on PvP or simply tac on some sort of PvP system don't really give me much of any of that good old PvP joy. 

And no, PvP being an after thought is not a major pillar of any MMO. They've sunk a great deal of time into the PvE and Foundry system, those should be nice to see. They haven't from the sounds of things done the same for PvP, so I simply would rather not see it. 

i agree.. while i did do PVP in Rift for a good while i wonder how much better and bigger the PVE side could of been had they not had to put so many resources into PVP. I'd honestly welcome them dumping PVP if it means more resources on other parts of the game like the foundry..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Ambros123

Actually they are doing it quality and not an afterthought.  Hence why originally it was not included at launch.  PvP is another playstyle, provide a decent well thought out design and it will be fine.  It's not forced but there for those that want a change of pace.  They can still provide a decent quality PvP experiance without being a PvP centric game.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

i agree.. while i did do PVP in Rift for a good while i wonder how much better and bigger the PVE side could of been had they not had to put so many resources into PVP. I'd honestly welcome them dumping PVP if it means more resources on other parts of the game like the foundry..

Or it would have absolutely zero impact upon the game or one can simpely counter with that if Rift actually invested significantly into PvP then the game would have been much better.  Bigger teams does not necessarily equate to better quality.  If that's the case then WoW or SWTOR would have been the grandest games of all time and not the POSs that they are.  At least for SWTOR, WoW is decent or relatively good but not near as grand as your philosophy would state.

Rift's PvP had issues starting with beta.