Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE the best ARPG, not a MMO.

13»

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Why did you waste time replying to me in the first place...............

Because you are wrong.
      About what? Diablo being referred to as an MMO when it was released in 1997?
    In your attempt to redefine MMO and MMORPG.

Can you point to where I attempted to redefine those terms? Can you tell me what I attempted to redefine them to? I think you may have mixed up some posts by different authors. I've asked a lot of questions in this thread but I have not made any definitions of my own.

See your post #41 in this thread.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Can you point to where I attempted to redefine those terms? Can you tell me what I attempted to redefine them to? I think you may have mixed up some posts by different authors. I've asked a lot of questions in this thread but I have not made any definitions of my own.

OK I'm looking at it. The entire content of post #41 is me asking Laughing-Man a question about something he said in post #14.

Can you point to where I attempted to redefine MMO and MMORPG? Can you tell me what I attempted to redefine them to?

OK I'm looking at it. The entire content of post #41 is me asking Laughing-Man a question about something he said in post #14.

Can you point to where I attempted to redefine MMO and MMORPG? Can you tell me what I attempted to redefine them to?

Read your post #41 in this thread.

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Painlezz
    Originally posted by Dantae87

PoE is not a MMO! In no way shape or form! A MMO is a game where u can play with thousands and thousands of ppl at once. PoE does not have this! Towns do not count they are considered lobby's and by that extent any game with a online lobby shud be considered a MMO, such as Warcraft 3, SC2, SMITE or CoD....

GET THIS IN YOUR THICK SKULLS PPL! Im sick of hearing every day for almost every Hr that this game is a MMO or it isn't a MMO in General. Groupe consist of 6 PPL MAX! MAX! that barly makes it a online game for Christ sakes!

PoE IS NOT A MMO!

Definition of a mmo taken off of wiki:

1. (video games) A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world.
    2. (colloquial) A massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

Name an MMO where you can play with 1000's and 1000's of people at once.  WoW is probably one of the primary MMO's of our time and at best you'll find a 100 or 200 people in one place (town) at a time.  Raids are 10-25 people.  Instances are 5 man.  I play with as many people in PoE as I did in any MMO outside of raiding...   In fact it's easier to group with people in PoE than any other MMO.

Wiki is a public editable website and to base any argument or solely on that website shows a high level of ignorance.

Please take your intolerance and trollish behavior elsewhere.  I’m sure if you sit down and think for a few minutes you’ll agree this site is full of enough garbage, hate, and other negative material that we don’t need more.  If someone else has a different opinion than yourself, you should accept it or potentially provide a solid and well thought out counter argument.

basically this "1000" player thing is about the interaction tho. 

standing around in orgrimmar with your whole server spamming it (and being there too) is concidered massive enough.

anyway, warhammer online had quite the massive interaction (RVR), tho we do not need to argue if it worked or not :)

planetside also features quite the MASSIVE battles

and i think some of those asian games (maybe lineage? not sure anymore) with their city siege and so on also feature some nice masses of players.

diablo was NEVER EVER concidered an mmo, and yea, i was around when it was released, dont bother asking. i played it, with ONE friend on my playstation. i also played diablo 2 then when it was released with some more friends (PC this time), but we still did not name it mmo because i dont think that term was actually established those days.

i think that term basically came up and "cool" with everquest, before that..... we did not tzalk about mmorpgs. we talked about rpgs and multiplayer games (NWN for example, baldur's gate and so on)

and seriously, who the hell called PoE an mmo. and why do we feed the trolls?

ps: obviously not all my comments are refering to the quoted post. it's just my entry point here :P

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

OK MMOGamer71, I think I've allowed you to display your lack of reading comprehension in a sufficiently embarrassing fashion. I'll stop attempting to engage you in discussion now.

OK MMOGamer71, I think I've allowed you to display your lack of reading comprehension in a sufficiently embarrassing fashion. I'll stop attempting to engage you in discussion now.

Yes, you attempt to get a 1997 link to prove Diablo is an MMORPG.  I point to a link from wiki and it's not good enough for you and I have the reading issue?

FYI a link from 1997 with a discription of "online play" and "Diablo" is easy to find as well as definitions of MMO and MMORPG and Diablo fits them all.  I'm willing to guess the term MMORPG was not even used in 1997 (Everquest 1999), thus your asking for a link with MMORPG and Diablo that does not exsist.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

We could probably all agree that no true MMORPG has had a full OFFLINE campaign (not D3 where you still have to log in but can play solo like any other MMO)..

If they added the ability to play Skyrim cooperatively with 4 people, it would not make it an MMO..

Without getting literal and starting another piss fest, I'll just say that the genre probably depends on more than just "how many people you currently see and can chat with on your screen".. I'm sure the major data type (client side or server side) would have something to do with it as well..

From my understanding.. Single Player games with Multiplayer functions are not MMO's (Carl of Duty's, Civilization, Starcraft, etc. you already know what they are)

I would consider PoE an MMO simply by the fact of how much data is actually server side and lack of a true single player offline experience..

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I dont think amount of data is relevant IMO, you can apply a test to that and prove that you can have a game with an infinite amount of data server side but with evey single person playing on their own. The true test is how many people play together in real time in the same instance and compare that against the current average, so now in 2013 you could not really say 1000 instances with 5 people together each is massively multiplayer but I think you could argue that > than say 100 is significant in that a group of 100 people in real life is significant etc

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    lol big deal dude, get over it- who really cares, mmo or not. why do u choose to take it so personal? play the game or dont, call it an mmo or not, no 1 really cares hahaha