Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The themepark features of Archeage

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

- Possibility to level to cap (lv 50) through quests.

- Levels.

- Some instances (althought of little importance, regarded as "training camps").

- Safe starting zones.

- Pre-made factions (althought there is freedom to defect/join factions ingame or create new factions)

Any more TP feature? I dont remember at moment.

So, these features listed above is enough to take away from AA the "sandbox" label? I think  the answer is NO, since these features will not play any major influence in the most part of the expected gameplay of a medium player. They will only suit as a tutorial* and a way to avoid the mob grind to level (what is typical of korean mmos).

The pre-made factions will serve to make available players to pvp without any penaltys from the start.

*The devs themselves say that quests until lv 30 can be considered a "tutorial", presenting all the features available in the mmo to the players.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I don't know about you, but none of those seem like strictly "themepark features" to me. Especially levels.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Sounds like personal definitions shining through again rather than what is or isn't sandbox features.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I don't mind Theme Park elements. In fact, there are a few that I welcome.

I personally find 100% pure Sandbox games to be boring.

I personally find 100% pure Theme Park games to be boring.

I like it when World PvP has some form of meaning. In a game like Tera, where everyone is of the same faction, there really is no "lorish" reason to kill another player. However, in a faction based game such as EverQuest II, there is a good reason for a Dark Elf Player to attack a High Elf Player in the open world.

I want the game to have a theme and setting. However, I don't want to be locked down and forced to follow a long quest-line about how I'm a special little snowflake.

I want a living and breathing virtual world with loads of content. If I want to just shift the engine in neutral and just chill out in my player-made house or guild city, then I should be able to.

The only "Sandboxy" thing that is important to me is Deep Crafting, World Size, World PvP, and Player Economy (no Auction House crap).

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    I don't know about you, but none of those seem like strictly "themepark features" to me. Especially levels.

I think the same, but many people are calling AA a "sandpark" instead of "sandbox" just because these features.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Themepark derives from developers using the game world in a themepark fashion, trying to hide the cheapness or short-commings in how they made the game world.

Typically, how the Devs made the playable land meander around itself (with the use of mountains/zone walls, etc) to hide the facts they really dont have a game world.. but more , or less an attraction at everyturn, to keep you forgettimg you are actuallu closed in.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon