Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help installing hard drives in new computer

HunterrorHunterror Member UncommonPosts: 21
So I just build my first pc, put it together last night.  I have three drives I'm connecting to the SATA3 ports on my motherboard. (its the asrock z77 extreme4).  I have an optical drive, a westerndigital hdd, and a kingston ssd.  When I first hooked them all up, they were all three visible in boot options in BIOS.  I installed windows onto the ssd, from inside windows it could see the hdd but not do anything with it.  I turned off the computer and opend up BIOS but now only the ssd and optical drive are listed.  In the system browser it still shows the three drives conneted but the hdd is not listed in the boot options.  When I get back into windows it cannot even find the hdd.  I have tried conntecting them into different SATA3 ports but to no avail.  If I disconnect all the drives except the hdd, then it will show up in the boot options, but that doesn't do me much good.  Please help!

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I'm sure others will chime in but just to start with there is little need to have your HDD and your optical drive taking up a SATA 3 slot as they will not use the extra bandwidth offered by SATA3 or SATA2.

I could be mistaken but it appears you may have forgotten to assign a partition to your HDD and that is why it's not actually showing up as a bootable drive nor in windows as a storage drive.  Boot windows from your Thumb drive or CD/DVD, which ever you used to install it in the first place, and once you get to where you can setup drives be sure you partition your HDD.

OR

You can attempt to follow these steps:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159956/new_hard_drive.html

Just need to find it in disk manager .