Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SCHOOL-1950s vs. 2012

ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Perhaps this is old, don't know, felt it was pretty funny and unfortunaly very true

SCHOOL-1950s vs. 2012

Scenario :
Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1950s -
Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.

2012 - Police called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programmes for 3 months. School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

Scenario :
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1950s -
Robbie sent to the office and given six of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2012 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD – result deemed to be positive. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1950s -
Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care; joins a gang; ends up in jail.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1950s -
Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with. Passes exams, becomes a solicitor.

2012 - Police called, car searched for drugs and weapons. Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Ends up as a drop out.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night,puts them in a paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest.

1950s - Wasps die.

2012- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly in an airplane again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls over while running during morning break and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. She hugs him to comfort him.

1950s -
In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing footie.No damage done.

2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Good stuff...........
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Is it wrong that I was laughing* at all of the 2012 stuff? o.o

*laughing at how messed up they were

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Hah! Funny stuff. Too bad a lot of it is true.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Authoritarianism was mostly dead in the 1950's: people had had just gone through a terrible economic depression which taught them what the real values of life where. After that they were thrown into the biggest war in history and defeated Fascism. This made common sense and common decency retake the high ground. The world still had some problems left over from earlier (take segregation) but the post-1945, 1950s, 1960s, provided a golden moment for the world to change for the better.

People who went to bed hungry for days in a row, or worked in coal mines, or the people who built the giant dams across canyons in the desert risking their lives every moment; People who knocked on doors offering to do work for 10 cents or a slice of bread. Would those people, after times turned good, would they freak out when a parent/principal sees the need to punishes a well-feed kid for something?

People who've been fighting in a war, seen their buddies get shot and die too many times; people who've seen their friends get blasted into red pulp and flying pieces of bone by grenades: are those people going to call a kid who (mis)uses fireworks on a wasp nest a "terrorist". No, they would just be happy that he didn't hurt himself and didn't get stung.

The problem today is that our world isn't run by people with common sense and common decency like that. Today our world is run by bureaucratic authoritarians who don't understand how the world works but are in charge of it anyway, some of them are just out for themselves, but some of them are even out to make the world a worse place on purpose. These are the same type of people who caused WWI (and thus WWII) and ruined our economy in between.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

things have definitely changed for the better in 2012 (now 2013) as far as schools go and the others. A lot of good changes there. 

The only problem with schools now, is they had to dumb them down to the lowest denomintor because some parents complained their student was too stupid to get good grades, so everyone in the world should be as stupid as their son/daughter.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• adenostaradenostar Member Posts: 13

They were still spanking kids in schools in the 80's, because I got a spanking at school when I was in the first grade, and that was in like... 1987 or something. Now what do they do? Suspend you or something. Yeah, making a kid stay home from school is a real punishment.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

There is nothing better than a fight to sort things out with someone you have a disagreement with. You have a fight, get it out of your system, normally end up friends with respect for each other. Where as now it's all mental abuse and constant bullying that never ends because kids can't fight any more. 

Fighting is natural, we shouldn't promote it but also don't punish it. 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Funny, but not really true. In essence it just says

1950: solve all by beating your kid

2012: screw up your kids by sending them to a psychologist

And I can't agree with that premise. The "beating" era wasn't really so glorious. It left crippled souls. That we are maybe overzealous with psychologizing doesn't change that. I would not want to go back to 1950 habits.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by Elikal

I would not want to go back to 1950 habits.

As a person who grew up in the 50's I can say we would be better off using what we did in the 50's.

Back then if you screwed up you were punished, now they are afraid of hurting little billy's self esteem.

One thing that does bother me is, in the 1950's everyone I knew had a gun in the house and we never even thought about shooting anyone.  Now it seems the thing to do is if you have a problem you go out and kill people.

WTF haooened ??

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

My father hated gambling. One day both my brother and I got caught at a pool hall and he kicked my brothers ass home for five blocks. That was around 1968, and to this day I don't gamble.

My Father was a carpenter and my other brother was a track star in high school.  One day I was playing on the back porch and the screen door flung open and my brother shot out like lighting, To this day I never seen anyone run so fast.  Anyway he made it to the ally and my father came out and flung his hammer like a Toma-hawk, just missed my brothers head by inches, it had to be 60 yards.

He was good with that hammer. He whacked the neighborhood dog ( Oscar ) and got arrested for it, he was out of jail in a few hours and took a nap on the couch.

Them were the days :0

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Scenario :

1950s -

2012 - Both kid's parents are called up to school.  Each father decides to bring 10-12 male members of their family and start a gang war in the school lobby.  It takes four police officers and two school security guards to get everybody to leave.

That is a true story.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

2012 - Johnny and Mark are smart enough to fight off of school property.  If the police were called by (a concerned citizen) the police might charge one of them with assault but those charges will be stayed and the school wont be involved.

2012 - If Robbie has cronic behavioral issues he'll be sent to a special class never to bother the regular kids again.

2012 - (A concerned citizen) calls the police and the car owner goes thru his insurance to replace the broken window or Robbie's dad pays for the broken window and Robbie does chores to pay him back or some combo like that.

2012 - Mark gets his water from the water fountain (it`s 2012!) and if the principal takes an issue with it it`ll become national news and a lawyer will contact Mark and together they will sue the school board and principal.

2012 - Hopefully Johnny will have to explain his motive for blowing up those wasps to his parents and possibly to police (concerned citizen strikes again) from that the proper course of action should be taken ranging from a simple coversation about safety to hopefully getting Johnny the help he needs and being responsible enough to remove all guns from the home.  Although they`ll probably just ignore it and Johnny will grow into hurting animals and later people.

2012 - Johnny wont get sympathy at school from his teacher or his class mates, infact he knows he`ll only receive scorn and redicule, so he doesn`t cry and although he`s just a small boy he`ll man up and walk it off or be called some variation of gay by Mark and have to fight him after school off of school property.

In 2012 most people are wise enough to realize you can`t solve a social issue with violence.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Scenario :
    Johnny falls over while running during morning break and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. She hugs him to comfort him.

1950s -

2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.

____________________________________________________________________ ( sorry quote was bugging)

Meanwhile, 2012 in Japan...

*fixed link*

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• MediBlastMediBlast Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Perhaps this is old, don't know, felt it was pretty funny and unfortunaly very true

SCHOOL-1950s vs. 2012

Scenario :

1950s -

2012 - Police called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programmes for 3 months. School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

Scenario :
    Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1950s -
    Robbie sent to the office and given six of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2012 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD – result deemed to be positive. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1950s -
    Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care; joins a gang; ends up in jail.

Scenario :
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1950s -
    Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with. Passes exams, becomes a solicitor.

2012 - Police called, car searched for drugs and weapons. Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Ends up as a drop out.

Scenario :
    Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night,puts them in a paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest.

1950s - Wasps die.

2012- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly in an airplane again.

Scenario :

1950s -

2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.

THIS IS SO REALISTIC MEN, HAHAHA