Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game is an accomplishment, community a disgrace.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If you aren't someone with bronze/silver/gold/diamond under your name in the forums, you are considered beneath everyone else basically.    People come in and try to improve the game with suggestions, some very obvious, and basically what you get is 'your a troll' and 'you didn't pay so stop complaining'. 

Bad thing for them though is they are likely all outnumbered by the new open beta folks and are in for a rude awakening.

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm a supporter but I'd never act like that. Those guys will VERY quickly become the minority... They already are, all the new people are busy playing though and not on the forums yet. I wouldn't worry.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I'd like to see what you posted to see if you actually deserved to be called a troll or not.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by adam_nox

If you aren't someone with bronze/silver/gold/diamond under your name in the forums, you are considered beneath everyone else basically.    People come in and try to improve the game with suggestions, some very obvious, and basically what you get is 'your a troll' and 'you didn't pay so stop complaining'. 

Bad thing for them though is they are likely all outnumbered by the new open beta folks and are in for a rude awakening.

A small percentage of every game's beta community is like that when new players come in. Nothing new. Bashing the whole community because of a handful of people seems silly. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

The thread on this subject the PoE forums is an interesting read.  My favorite quote in the thread is this gem:

"The only people I've seen getting "bashed" are the numpties with new accounts that can't wait 5 minutes before creating a new thread filled with how outraged they are about something. At that point, it has nothing to do with paying money or not paying money and everything to do with being a loudmouth who hasn't demonstrated the ability to do anything other than whine and complain."

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Online games have jerks in them? Call the FBI!

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I was surprised in beta just how many jerks were playing this game......It felt like the bnet crowd had infiltrated it.....
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

The community is almost entierly disgruntled D3 players. Its sad a blizzard game (D3) has a far better community right now...

I play POE with general chat closed.  I dont party since multiplayer isnt even fun, especially with shared loot and the combat mechanics making it difficult to target the right mob (add a few friendlies and your clicking them not the mobs)

I dont keep trade chat open, since trading is pointless for the most part.  Everyone is one of 2-4 builds, and like with closed beta, chances are your going to go a majority of the game without skills that are the foundation of your build since they are drop only.  Yeah theres quest reward for gems, but gem selection is based of your characters default skills, and if you decide to not be a claw wielding melee shadow (for instance) your not getting the skills you need.

The community was horrible in closed beta, and now its ten fold as bad.  Theres only one "talking" chat, and its occupied by everyone, non english speakers, people begging for help, and the 10-20 side conversations that make it impossible to sift through it all.  Not to mention non-stop "lol D3 sucks lol" talk.  Community is OBSESSED with D3.

Top it all off with constant disconnects, lots of mob desync, and slow download time...right now the games kind of a mess.

This all is ok, my only gripe is that the combat and gameplay mechanics are terrible, and show no signs of improving.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I'd like to see what you posted to see if you actually deserved to be called a troll or not.

Yeah I agree.

If you posted a bunch of 'ideas' for the game that would turn it into a clone of a game everyone else was disappointed in, I could see why they would tell you to GTFO.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Anyone else notice how an exact replica of this thread is made for just about every game out there?
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I find POE combat and game mechanics to be one of the best parts about the game.. but there we go we all like different things..

Not sure what the OP posted or anything but if he made a post asking for sweaping changes to be made to the game then I can see why some of the members who have been supporting and testing the game from very early on could be a bit hostile about that..

I am a supporter of the game and have been testing since the summer.. i really enjoy the game overall and dont think anything really big needs changing.. could things be improved ? of course just like any game..

Anyway i dont post of the forums there just enjoy the game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by adam_nox

People come in and try to improve the game with suggestions, some very obvious, and basically what you get is 'you didn't pay so stop complaining'. 

I agree with them.

Bored of freeloaders thinking they have as much a voice as those that pay to support the hobby.

Beggars can't be choosers.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149
    Somewhere, out there in the multiverse, someone thought in their head, "There is no I in Facebook."..lol
  • Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346

The thread on this subject the PoE forums is an interesting read.  My favorite quote in the thread is this gem:

"The only people I've seen getting "bashed" are the numpties with new accounts that can't wait 5 minutes before creating a new thread filled with how outraged they are about something. At that point, it has nothing to do with paying money or not paying money and everything to do with being a loudmouth who hasn't demonstrated the ability to do anything other than whine and complain."

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I have to agree that the PoE community is extremely aggressive. I haven't seen anything like that since GW2's launch.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Man, that sounds like what goes on around here...

• Let the excitement of the game calm for a couple months, maybe the community will simmer down!!! 
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

in game chat is friendly

the meta game is everything i wanted D3 to be.

the slower combat makes positioning and spell/skill choice matter.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    I have to agree that the PoE community is extremely aggressive. I haven't seen anything like that since GW2's launch.

Haven't played SMITE or League of Legends yet? ;)  SMITE players would rather spam five lines of vulgar profanity at someone they feel is doing things wrong than simply fix the issue with "x take mid" or whatever other 3-5 word civil request would correct the current travesty of proper gaming that is causing their conniption.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Gamers are douchebags? who would have thought it.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Over the past couple weeks I have become accustomed to seeing his "crazy man" avatar and knowing right away that it will be a negative shot at PoE.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

The people who "defeated Diablo 3" by spending $1,000 on Path of Exile are every bit as much foolish in my eyes as the people who log into Path of Exile for the first time and suddenly have a novel's worth of ideas to "improve" the game.

Point is, play it and have fun.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Gamers are douchebags? who would have thought it.

You would think so wouldnt you!!

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

I'd say many of the agressor's are looking at it realizing many new people are from D3.I can see their side as they don't want this game being another D3.Right off the bat there's a huge thread about wanting an AH.To many people the AH and rmt ruined D3.

Right now I'm trying to avoid the official forums there like the plague,I also have global/general chat turned off.Hopefully this will die down some in the next few week's.

Btw op I'm not saying you did wrong at all,just that many that were there in cb are probably in defense mode right now,like a nervous rattlesnake.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    haha glad to see how other posters view people. Im just loking to try see how this is different from D3
  • PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I've had good experiences with the community in-game.

When I died on my first char in hardcore, I made a new char and logged back in.

I was a bit down about it and wanted to share my death with someone, so I told everyone.

The whole chat filled up with "Rest in peace!" :)

Edit: Also just helping out in general, when I ask in-game about an upcoming boss people are quick to help you with what you need to do to be ready for that boss, this is very important for someone like me who do not play through the game in normal mode first to learn the bosses.