Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG.. FIRST! Everquest Next =P

13»

Comments

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'd expect a huge increase in EQ:Next info over the next few months.

Planetside 2 has launched and is sailing along. The ForgeLight engine that powers PS2 has now been extensively tested on a live audience, so the EQ:Next devs have an advantage that the PS2 devs didn't have.

And as is usually the case, a lot of people who worked on building PS2 will now be shifted to EQ:Next. They already have a lot of experience of developing on the new engine, which should speed up the work on EQ:Next significantly.

SOE also need to line-up a new game release for their AAA-F2P strategy. The pre-purchase of "founder packs" and the initial rush of ingame currency purchases makes for a very nice cashflow spike when a F2P game is released. If SOE can squeeze 2 launches into one financial year, it will make the books look very good.

I know SOE haven't exactly shined in the game development area in the last few years, but they used to be a great studio in the early half of the last decade. And (if it can be believed) Smed's hype about EQ:Next really does make it sound like SOE are pulling-out all the stops to make "something different", and to reclaim their former glory. It remains to be seen if that will turn out to be "awesome different" or "awful different"...

They have 2 games coming out this year that do not include EQ Next and will be F2P.

Dragons Prophet http://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/

and https://www.wizardrythegame.com/index.vm is published by SOE.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Apparently it's a reskin of SWG :-)
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by William12

Planetside 2 has launched and is sailing along. The ForgeLight engine that powers PS2 has now been extensively tested on a live audience, so the EQ:Next devs have an advantage that the PS2 devs didn't have.

And as is usually the case, a lot of people who worked on building PS2 will now be shifted to EQ:Next. They already have a lot of experience of developing on the new engine, which should speed up the work on EQ:Next significantly.

SOE also need to line-up a new game release for their AAA-F2P strategy. The pre-purchase of "founder packs" and the initial rush of ingame currency purchases makes for a very nice cashflow spike when a F2P game is released. If SOE can squeeze 2 launches into one financial year, it will make the books look very good.

I know SOE haven't exactly shined in the game development area in the last few years, but they used to be a great studio in the early half of the last decade. And (if it can be believed) Smed's hype about EQ:Next really does make it sound like SOE are pulling-out all the stops to make "something different", and to reclaim their former glory. It remains to be seen if that will turn out to be "awesome different" or "awful different"...

They have 2 games coming out this year that do not include EQ Next and will be F2P.

SOE is only publishing those games. That's vastly different from developing their own games.

If someone is prepared to pay them a fee to handle the marketing and admin for some generic fantasy-based themepark, why wouldn't they accept the money, even if it's not very much. SOE already have the infrastructure in place, publishing other games pays for some of those overheads.

But there's no pot of gold or glory at the end of that rainbow. Nobody gives a fig about who published a game, it's the developer that gets the REAL reputation, be that good or bad.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Dragon's Prophecy is a sandbox game and wouldn't define Wizardry Online as neither a themepark nor sandbox.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by William12

SOE is only publishing those games. That's vastly different from developing their own games.

If someone is prepared to pay them a fee to handle the marketing and admin for some generic fantasy-based themepark, why wouldn't they accept the money, even if it's not very much. SOE already have the infrastructure in place, publishing other games pays for some of those overheads.

But there's no pot of gold or glory at the end of that rainbow. Nobody gives a fig about who published a game, it's the developer that gets the REAL reputation, be that good or bad.

Doesn't matter if they're developing them or publishing they're under the SOE brand and you buy stuff in it with station cash meaning SOE is making a profit from them.

The real profit will be from licensing the game engine out which I doubt they will ever do.  Why give others the tools to compete with you right ?  

• Cylan1Cylan1 Member Posts: 18

I have been waiting for this since 2005 when I quit playing EQ1 (started in 99). I would say some of the most memorable things I remember were the GM events. I was able to witness the Crushbone Orc Invasion in Greater Fay and I was zoning out of Mistmoore one night and guess who popped up at the zoneline - Mayong the man himself! That was one of the best GM events I have ever witnessed. I would encourage SOE to bring back lots and lots of GM events - they are definitely memory staples for games. Another thing I miss is the grinding - I do not like easy this and easy that - I enjoyed earning my gear and levels (even hell levels). I remember seeing a high elf wizard in Greater Fay in a Oracle Robe shortly after I first started playing in '99. I remember thinking how badass he looked compared to me and everyone else. I remember buying my first piece of mail armor for my paladin from a guy who would sell it on the weekends in Kelethin. I remember really learning how to play my enchanter in Mistmoore and learning real fast to make a macro for not breaking mez. I don't miss trying to find a group for hours, but I do miss grinding it out in groups. I am waiting to build my brand new rig for Beta (let me in!)  Oh and those Sebilis AOE groups with my chanter were some damn good times also - especially when I was drunk! Sebilis, Mistmoore, and the trains in Unrest were my best times in the game.

• XxHobbzxXXxHobbzxX Member Posts: 1
    So i was a big fan of EQOA for the Ps2. anyone think EQ next will be for Ps4? hope anyone got any info on EQ next please tell meh. been hoping for the sences the game went down for Ps2