Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipad or Acer Iconia Or?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

I'm looking for the best gaming experience and something that is reasonably cheap.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thast's a difficult one. I have an Acer Iconia and an iPad mini. I find there's more of the games I'm looking for (RPGs and MMOs) on the Iconia than the iPad, however the iPad doesn't seem that far behind.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Which version of Iconia? There's the W700 and the A700, running Windows 8 and Android OS respectively.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Which version of Iconia? There's the W700 and the A700, running Windows 8 and Android OS respectively.

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know much about the Iconias.

Do they have different "stores" or something?

Originally posted by Tidel

Yes, different app stores.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Gah so now I'm stuck on a windows? store, an adroid store, and an apple store? :O

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Gah so now I'm stuck on a windows? store, an adroid store, and an apple store? :O

Cost is also important.  You should put what you are looking to spend,  and the size of the tablet you are looking for...

I personally got a Kindle, but then again all I really need it for is web browsing and videos.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I also have an old kindle fire,  but bought a Note 10.1 which I love... though I don't use it to game (other then poker)  its primarily a productivity tablet...  I do design work, and create flow charts,  its also helpful for school....

I've run a few games on it.. but the resolution isn't near what some of the iconia tabs or the ipad...    there are better options out now though.. and even better options in the works.

For price to performance you can't get much better then the nexus 7 though.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Small form asus nexus 7
    Large form full sized iPad or the Samsung one.

Prefer Android myself, but is is easier to get up and running. But with android there's more free apps and its easier to get your cos and dvds and stuff on there (via a pc)
  • Sky427Sky427 Member UncommonPosts: 99

If you want a "gaming experience" on a tablet then your best bet will be any Tablet which runs Win8. Obviously the best being the Razer Edge(aka Fiona) but thats atleast a 1000 dollar drop. 

The W700 is probably the next best thing as Windows 8 is still Windows meaning you can run your regular games on it like WoW... or whatever. Its just a matter of power.

If you get an android OS then you have an easier route to root your device(ie hack it) so you can play pirated apps on it much more easily than you would on iOS but the thing that android lacks are certain quality apps more things seem to go the iOS way first or atleast when things go iOS they have a larger budget.

Though Android isnt missing much or anything you may even want but still there are some things.

iOS is just that iOS. Whatever really either you like it or you dont. The nice thing about the App store is that everything is guaranteed to work on your device unless your device is as old as the iPad 1. Then some things if not many will not support your device. Things on the Play store for Android may not support your device or run well on them because of device limitation.

For example Hulu when I had an Iconia A100 was not supported on my device. But its just hulu whats the problem right? Well developers have the option to make their product only available on certain devices and you cant force apps like hulu to run on your device if it isnt on that list. You could jump some hoops and make your device say its something else but then it might not even run right(What I tried, app crashed everytime) If Hulu supports more devices now, or even devices youre looking at getting I cant say for sure. 

Then back to the Windows 8 OS, its windows. It does everything your PC does, which is more than a tablet.

Also note: Android Store has refunds available if you decide you hate the app within... 15mins? I dont remember. iOS app store has no such option and once you buy it they charge you for it. And its very easy to accidently buy an app if you have your settings not ask you for your password every single time you try to buy something(Which you should but itll bug you for free apps every time)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I have a 10" Tegra 2 powered tablet from Lenovo that runs Android 3.2 (Honeycomb). I could upgrade to ICS but I don't like the UI changes so I decided against it. I also have several friends that own iPads so I've played with theirs a little bit. The thing that I've noticed at least with iPad 2-3's is the same apps seem to run a lot smoother on mine than theirs. Less load times, freezes and whatnot. Not that the iPad is bad it's just not quite up to the performance of some of the Android based tablets. Now what people are saying about Android compatability where apps are concerned is very true. Not all apps will be available for every Android device so if there are specific apps you want to run you may want to do a little research first.

As for Windows 8 based tablets you want to be careful. Do not... I repeat DO NOT get a Windows RT tablet. These will only run apps from the Windows 8 app store which currently kinda sucks big time compared to both the Apple App Store and Google Play. You want a full Windows 8 tablet to be able to run regular Windows based programs. If you are buying the tablet for gaming I wouldn't even bother with a Windows 8 based tablet for 2 reasons. Number one is that most modern PC games are just going to be too system intensive to run on any Tablet hardware. The number two reason is that PC games aren't programmed for touch based controls so they won't play very well either.

If you are looking for good performance at a decent price you can't go wrong with an Android based tablet in my opinion. If you want to use it for gaming I strongly recommend something with a Tegra 3 proccessor. In the 7" tablets The Google Nexus 7 is a great tablet at a great price. If you want to go to a 10" tablet I would recommend something from the Asus Transformer line of Android based tablets.

Edit: If you do decide to get a Nexus 7 it does have one slight problem. Do not ever let the battery drain completely. If you do the device may never turn back on or charge. Just FYI.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

I'm going to have to recommend going with either the iPad (4th gen) or a Google Nexus 10 (by Samsung). The iPad and Nexus 10 both have CPUs that use two ARM Cortex A15 cores. The Nexus 10's Exynos 5250 is clocked higher though at 1.7Ghz and the iPad's A6X is clocked at 1.4Ghz. Very similar performance between the two. The Nexus 10 is the faster one at browsing though. The Nexus 10 is also a good bit cheaper, and has a higher resolution screen (yes, it has a higher resolution than the iPad's retina display).

Edit: Don't go with an Asus Transformer. I own one of those as well as the newer Nexus 10. Even though the Nexus 10 uses a dual core cpu as opposed to the Transformer's quad core, the Nexus 10 is still a hell of a lot faster. My Transformer Infinity TF700 really can't keep up with the Nexus 10 or my relative's iPad 4. That's how fast the ARM Cortex A15 processors are compared to the old ARM Cortex A9s (which is what is in the Tegra 3, four A9s). The ARM Cortex A15 is just an absolute beast.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

I'm going to have to recommend going with either the iPad (4th gen) or a Google Nexus 10 (by Samsung). The iPad and Nexus 10 both have CPUs that use two ARM Cortex A15 cores. The Nexus 10's Exynos 5250 is clocked higher though at 1.7Ghz and the iPad's A6X is clocked at 1.4Ghz. Very similar performance between the two. The Nexus 10 is the faster one at browsing though. The Nexus 10 is also a good bit cheaper, and has a higher resolution screen (yes, it has a higher resolution than the iPad's retina display).

Edit: Don't go with an Asus Transformer. I own one of those as well as the newer Nexus 10. Even though the Nexus 10 uses a dual core cpu as opposed to the Transformer's quad core, the Nexus 10 is still a hell of a lot faster. My Transformer Infinity TF700 really can't keep up with the Nexus 10 or my relative's iPad 4. That's how fast the ARM Cortex A15 processors are compared to the old ARM Cortex A9s (which is what is in the Tegra 3, four A9s). The ARM Cortex A15 is just an absolute beast.

I would have recommended the Nexus 10 as well if it wasn't for the simple fact that about 25% of the ones we sell come back dead within the first month. It has very impressive performance but it's failure rate is totally unacceptable.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I am no fanboy of apple, in fact I don't even own an iPad or iPhone anymore. But from my first hand experience the best gaming experience is by far on the iPad. Now, that is not to say you shouldn't go for the Iconia, its a great little piece of hardware, but the iPad will have more up front. With there the two are at today (iOS and Android), the real decision to me is how much freedom you want. The Iconia CANNOT be beat there. Even if you jailbreak the iPad it is a total pain in the ass (time wise mostly) to do everyting, undo it, upgrade and jailbreak. Where as my experience with my Iconia (and Nexus 7), has been great. Heck, I haven't even done much to my Nexus 7 as its already pretty sweet!

Oh, and to see how the markets are changing (in favor of android), the developers of Sword and Sworcery said their game will NEVER come to android, their pathetic excuse was it wouldn't be true to the presentation they intended for the game... LOL! Well they caved in and its on Android too now.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I just recently got myself a Prestigio Multipad 5080 C Pro

The Pro is the newest one, much improved and I am MOST happy with it. Its really affordable and works very well. Though I must admit I don't do much gaming and I don't know the comparison. I think Ipad is just WAY overpriced.

EDIT: I just looked, apparently Prestigio doesn't sell in US. At least not on Amazon or Ebay. Then I would tend to go for ACER. I never like Apple. Try to go for Android, I really like the Android OS.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

A lot depends on which games you want to play.  iOS and Android have a lot of relatively games meant for tablets.  If you want iOS, then iPad it is.  For Android, there are a lot of options.

As was said above, ARM Cortex A15 (or equivalent) cores are a lot faster than the older ARM Cortex A9 cores.  The Google Nexus 10 has Cortex A15 cores (paired with a very weak GPU), and there should be many other tablets with the same cores very soon.  Qualcomm Krait cores are basically equivalent to Cortex A15 cores, as are Apple Swift cores (in the iPad 4--not mini).

Another alternative is a Windows tablet that can run probably an outright majority of the games listed on this site.  Even if you ignore browser-based games.  AMD Temash will have two or for Jaguar cores, and a GPU with two GCN CUs, so a very modern architecture capable of running basically anything.  But it won't be available for a few more months.  AMD says it will launch in the first half of this year; rumors put the launch at CeBIT in March or COMPUTEX around the start of June.

If you go with an ARM chip, then you'll get much graphics paired with it than you would get from AMD Temash.  It should be mostly fine for purely 2D games, but won't support modern graphics APIs.  There is an upcoming variant of Imagination's PowerVR graphics that will support the full OpenGL 4, but it's not available yet.