Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why invest when they can't even make a good webpage?

SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
I don't understand how people get conned into investing in a game just by the description.  Their website is about as simple in terms of coding as it gets, so why would anyone expect the game to be a decent quality?

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

They just secured the funding to actually make the game. The game is 2-3 years out. Perhaps the website wasn't a priority during the scramble to obtain finances?

Not many games have launch quality websites up years out from release.

You stay sassy!

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Not to mention, the people who make the game and the people who make the website are not really connected in anyway.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Altough a website is important for getting your game out there, I am more interested in seeing some sort of tech demo and how they will create an MMO using the Unity Engine. From what I have read the Unity Engine in itself does not have all the components for creating an MMO so they will either have to create the client-server architecture themselves or use another tool for it.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    even though I agree its not wise to bet for promises with is what all kick starters are a promise they will make a game you will like, its up for the people, not much you can say or doand if I have to choose I prefer people giving money to promises then give money for the lame games we have nowadays
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Goblinworks is using the Paizo website for now, there's over 8k members discussing the game with the developers.

Instead of hiring a staff of moderators and web designers to run a new website, Paizo already has that and it's working we'll for now.

Also Paizo is set up for retail and billing so it's much easier to use their infrastructure to fulfill all the Kickstarter rewards and get them shipped out.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Got to agree: I like to see a good website first. Always put off if the website is not very good.

In the case of GW, as said, they can piggy-back on the Paizo functionality eg billing/mods etc. But I think additionally part of their target market is indeed the PnP Pathfinder group - and it would be a good fit the more of these people that are interested in the mmorpg. Plenty are not, but it's a good place to start. In the KS Questions Answered vid at the end of the campaign, it was asked about redoing the website and they will eventually get around to it: Now they have ~8k backers it begins to make more sense to get that going. Probably not immediately however.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    If i had to judge any mmo on their website i would play none. IMO they are all shit looking.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Havok2all
    Not to mention, the people who make the game and the people who make the website are not really connected in anyway.

This is true, however it speaks to standards and quality control.

If you are in charge of something or are putting your idea out there, how you present it displays how much you care about it or how careful you are in general.

And if you aren't the one doing the legwork (aka making the website yourself) - it isn't difficult to say, "I'm sorry this isn't good enough, please do ____"

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Silacoid
    I don't understand how people get conned into investing in a game just by the description.  Their website is about as simple in terms of coding as it gets, so why would anyone expect the game to be a decent quality?

Ginkies Op your right, I mean I sure hope The people behind Pathfinder online spend alot of the money from the kickstarter to make a good web page instead of foolishly putting it toeward making a decent game.

Really though don't you have something better to do then troll a game in developement that you didn't help fund? Do great graphics make a great game? If so then Terra and Aion must be rolling in the caash with a ton of subscribers as their graphics are way better then say WoW's ancient and cartoony low polygon graphics. Evidently you have trouble understanding how people might enjoy a game that doesn't have cutting edge graphics but has other things lacking in many of todays MMO's

In the end you can't tell a book by its cover., Beauty is more then skin deep, and those that demand everything generally are left with nothing.

So pick your Playstyle, if you want cutting edge graphics and shallow vapid game play there are MMO's out there for you have fun. Will Pathfinder online turn out to be a perfect game? Doubtfull, but we can hope its better then the current crop of MMO's currently being offered. Was it a risk sure, but it was our risk not yours. What you can't understand is not up to us to teach you.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

Not really a con.  Paizo is a company that has been getting my money for years.  You want to know the secret to how they keep getting my money from me?  They produce an excellent product so I don't really question whether or not something connected with paizo ill be quality.  But they have been using the paizo website and forums.  That's fine for what they are doing with it.  It keeps them connected to their customer base.  

• GundamAceGundamAce Member Posts: 91

I feel the need to point out two things...

1.  Paizo has been putting out top quality products for a long time.  Their work has always been innovative and beautifuly packaged for a reasonable price.  Not only that, but their support for the products they put out is second to none.  The company has always been remarkably open about what they are doing and why, and frequently puts out a lot of great free trial materials.  Since Goblinworks and Paizo share many key leaders at the highest level, I'm willing to put a bit of faith in their team.

2.  We're looking at a "game" that is in its pre-alpha state.  Right now it's a small collection of some trial art elements and a design document that's seeing frequent revision.  The Tech Demo that they released was constructed using a freeware verson of middleware software that they thought they might use and was intended to be nothing more than a proof of concept that their team could effectively use the engine to accomplish MMO style tasks.  That I know of, there are no companies anywhere that have been so public with such early versions of their work.  Frankly the level of information that can be learned about the processes they're going through and the milestones they've reached is unprecidented. 

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Paizo is the developer of the #1 selling table-top RPG Pathfinder, even outselling Dungeons & Dragons (to be fair, D&D 4th edition stinks). I will give them a chance, they are well known for producing quality products and giving fans just what they want. Not to mention, people believe in them enough to give them a million bucks recently via Kickstarter. Pretty impressive.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Tell me more about how sending money through kickstarter makes someone an investor.

I'd be very interested to hear on the return on investment profits in particular.

• Nikoz78Nikoz78 Member UncommonPosts: 910
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Tell me more about how sending money through kickstarter makes someone an investor.

I'd be very interested to hear on the return on investment profits in particular.

Not all Kickstarters do this, but they have the option to offer a % of their company for helping to fund them. Some have even offered a large %. Sure, most stuff offerd is fluff, but a small %/piece of a company is indeed the future I think.

I miss the good ol' days when nerds were actually intelligent.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The game is THE priority. That's what people were pledging for anyway, not the website.

• hraethhraeth Member UncommonPosts: 34

I can't tell you why others invested but as someone who did invest in the Pathfinder Online kickstarter I can give you some of the reason that I did.

First though about their website:  The quality, or lack thereof, of their website is, simply put, irrelevant.  A bad website could indicate that they have no idea how to code.  It could indicate that it simply isn't a priority for them at this point.  It could indicate that they are so busy working on building us a great game that they also believe their website to be irrelevant at this time.  In short, it could mean anything, so until we know exactly what it means it might as well mean nothing.

Reasons I chose to invest in the Pathfinder Online kickstarter:

1.  I can afford it.  The amount I invested was trivial to me and allowed me to support development some game ideas that I find interesting.

2.  Even if Pathfinder Online never releases developers know that a game with these types of features is desired by a player base and are, therefore, more likely to persue this avenue of development in the future.

3.  I like the world.

4.  I like a bunch of the other ideas.

5.  I spent more buying games I hated (D3 and GW2 are on this list for me).  Worst case scenario: it comes out and I hate it.  Well then it was just another GW2 for me.

6.  Did I mention I could afford it? 

Ultimately if the game style doesn't interest you, if you're concerned about the graphics or the limitations of the engine, or simply can't afford to support a project like this then you don't have to.  People invest in projects like this because those projects interest them.  To some extent it's a kind of self directed charity.  Sure, it's possible that nothing will come of it or that something will and I'll hate it.  That's a risk I'm willing to take.

Originally posted by Nikoz78
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Not all Kickstarters do this, but they have the option to offer a % of their company for helping to fund them. Some have even offered a large %. Sure, most stuff offerd is fluff, but a small %/piece of a company is indeed the future I think.

Ah, interesting.

Interesting considering it is against Kickstarter rules to do so: http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics#DoBackGetOwneOrEquiInTheProjTheyFund

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I do not buy games based off of website design.
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    I do not buy games based off of website design.

If the kickstarter project was to fund a textbook on quality web design I could see the OP's point.  However it is for a game, not a website.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

I think a lot of people are missing my point.  If you are a professional company rolling out a quality product, there should be pride in EVERYTHING that you put out for the public to see.  While the website itself is not at all important to me, the fact that it looks like a rookie web designer made it is a sign of the care they put into the product. 

I could be wrong and they could just be extremely focused and dedicated to the actual game, but I doubt it.  I envision this being a lousy product, taking advantage of people's ideas of Pathfinder to make a quick buck.

As for the investor part, you are investing your money with the expectation of being able to play the game at a future point.  For all you know, it will collapse and you'll receive nothing for you money.  Either way, complaining about word choice like that is a little pathetic imo.

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

What are they supposed to have on their webpage? Seems it would be a pretty boring webpage anyway.

Some websites just have a logo and a clickie for email news. Because they don't have enough to post yet.  I really don't think that is a precursor to utter failure.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I think a lot of people are missing my point.  If you are a professional company rolling out a quality product, there should be pride in EVERYTHING that you put out for the public to see.  While the website itself is not at all important to me, the fact that it looks like a rookie web designer made it is a sign of the care they put into the product. 

I could be wrong and they could just be extremely focused and dedicated to the actual game, but I doubt it.  I envision this being a lousy product, taking advantage of people's ideas of Pathfinder to make a quick buck.

As for the investor part, you are investing your money with the expectation of being able to play the game at a future point.  For all you know, it will collapse and you'll receive nothing for you money.  Either way, complaining about word choice like that is a little pathetic imo.

Just amazing.  Think of how much they save on having a simple website while trying to fund the actual game.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    @Silacoid

All the information you need you can find on the Paizo website, that is their home base.

The transition to the Goblinworks website will be at a later date.

There is no need for Fireworks and bling at this time.

If you have any questions that concern you, join the Paizo message boards and anyone one of the devs I'm sure will answer you questions.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I'd rather they use their time/talent and money on the game.  They are currently using the other web site, which is already established and can handle all of the various functions involved.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

This is not the company's first product.  They have an extensive catalog of products that they have created and sold.  Those products have become the some most popular table top RPG items, even outselling D&D.   While I am not terribly familiar with all their products I have seen their Pathfinder Beginners Box and it was surprisingly HIGH QUALITY.  I would suspect that their other products are the same, or they would not be so popular.

So we could go by past experience, or we could go by your "gut"....

I know which one I will lean towards.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018