Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by mikahr

(Xfire) can be used to tell people that claim different, if game as obviously losing/gaining players and they disbelief it you can use XFire graphs to back up your claim.

Concretely for SWTOR population didnt settle till september/october. And in their Q report they reported it settled. But it settled on much lower value than their last reported numbers, and you can quite certanly claim that based on XFire graphs. Yet people said "Theres no proof" etc and XFire thread was closed by then and XFire discussions banned from forums.

Same with GW2, XFire graphs settled and now they officialy confiremd it settled some time ago (and even got growth in last month or so).

Just to proove all those that were saying it was still "losing players at rapid rate", XFire was right and they were wrong (once again), just like with SWTOR before when people claim its not losing players and XFire was right and they were wrong, and just like many games before it, its proven that it does show accurate trends.

Xfire:

WoW in January 2012 had 90K hours played.

Now WoW in January 2013 has 25K hours played.

what do you make of the wow discrepancy

where Xfire shows WOW having a 300% drop in played hours since a year ago? 

despite still having 10 million subs?   (as stated November 2012)

WOW had the annual pass throughout 2012. I even went for it, 6th Jan 2012 to 6th Jan 2013, where I was obligated to sub and could not cancel sub, but now taking a break, and will resub later.

WOW sub numbers need more recent figures than Nov 2012, as I would imagine others on the annual deal would have cancelled their subs too from Nov

Also as I stated in my previous post you can not comapre accurately when dealing with year gaps.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

People want to use XFire trends as a tool of prediction.

But the XFire trends don't preceed in game trends.

Of course it doesnt. It cant show future ;P

But it can be used to tell people that claim different, if game as obviously losing/gaining players and they disbelief it you can use XFire graphs to back up your claim.

Concretely for SWTOR population didnt settle till september/october. And in their Q report they reported it settled. But it settled on much lower value than their last reported numbers, and you can quite certanly claim that based on XFire graphs. Yet people said "Theres no proof" etc and XFire thread was closed by then and XFire discussions banned from forums.

Same with GW2, XFire graphs settled and now they officialy confiremd it settled some time ago (and even got growth in last month or so).

Just to proove all those that were saying it was still "losing players at rapid rate", XFire was right and they were wrong (once again), just like with SWTOR before when people claim its not losing players and XFire was right and they were wrong, and just like many games before it, its proven that it does show accurate trends.

Losing players compared to what?

To a peak in August/september when 2 million players were rushing to get their names and servers?

To a peak in August/September when XFire was reporting 15K players logging 90K hours (6 hours/day)?

To a peak where GW2 was showing double the hours and almost twice as much players as WoW?

Sure, it had been like 9 months since WoW had patches, but it was end of summer.

That is the problem of XFire - you have no basis to calibrate it.

Of course, XFire was showing SWTOR losing hours, but there was also server merges, there was also layoffs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

mmm, did i mention NOt based on HOURS PLAYED but on INDIVIDUAL USERS LOG ON NUMBER.

Yes i did. Several times by now.

WOW Jan 2012 players - 20,600

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3269838728

WOW Jan 2013 players - 5,600

http://beta.xfire.com/games/wow

Originally posted by superniceguy

WOW sub numbers need more recent figures than Nov 2012, as I would imagine others on the annual deal would have cancelled their subs too from Nov

Blizzard Q4 2012 will be announced in a few weeks

(Xfire) can be used to tell people that claim different, if game as obviously losing/gaining players and they disbelief it you can use XFire graphs to back up your claim.

Xfire:

WOW had the annual pass throughout 2012. I even went for it, 6th Jan 2012 to 6th Jan 2013, where I was obligated to sub and could not cancel sub, but now taking a break, and will resub later.

Also as I stated in my previous post you can not comapre accurately when dealing with year gaps.

There was still a drop of around 50% compared to WoW MoP release.

And are subs really reflected in XFire?

A guy that play every single day count as a sub the same as someone that plays a couple days a week, but if both use XFire, one represents much more.

And who is more likely to use XFire?

The guy that plays the sub game all the time because he is hardcore, but on the other hand will only have friends in that sub game and doesn't need something to track his game time? Or the guy that only plays a couple of times a week, which mean he may be a softcore and so he doesn't show in XFire at all, or is he on the other hand a hardcore player but just plays a ton of different games?

Gw2 is less active now - true.

But by how much?

Looking at XFire to determin that will be a bit harder.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Warband

No Xfire is flawed. Statistics isn't half as simple as your trying to make it out to be. Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. That doesn't make it accurate. Going into anymore detail would be simply going around in circles,  but even xfire has shown the player base as in number of people actually playing stabilised. No you could say xfire is wrong and player base is falling at an exponential rate, but my question is what are you discuss. This entire thing is biased. Due to who Xfire works people read what they want to read, that's pretty much it.

Except XFire trends have been proven right any time you look at them.

You can theorize all you want, practice proves your theory wrong, plain and simple.

Xfire:

mmm, did i mention NOt based on HOURS PLAYED but on INDIVIDUAL USERS LOG ON NUMBER.

Yes i did. Several times by now.

It simply says that same amount of players played heck out more hours/day in 2012 than in 2013.

If 10 players play 8 hours/day for 10 days at one time and then drop to 3 hours/day for 10 days? OMG how does it show such drop!

Tell me what was the drop on number of players in gw2 in the past 2 months. Because going by xfire gw2 has about 60% of Wow's user base. So what is your point precisely?

Xfire:

A guy that play every single day count as a sub the same as someone that plays a couple days a week, but if both use XFire, one represents much more.

The guy that plays the sub game all the time because he is hardcore, but on the other hand will only have friends in that sub game and doesn't need something to track his game time? Or the guy that only plays a couple of times a week, which mean he may be a softcore and so he doesn't show in XFire at all, or is he on the other hand a hardcore player but just plays a ton of different games?

But by how much?

Subs show up on Xfire if people play, but if people do not have a sub, then they can not play, and do not show up on Xfire at all.

If people have bought GW2 then they can show up anytime, as do not have a sub to get in the way of playing.

If people signed up for the annual deal, then the times when most played would be at the start as that is when you decide to purchase the annual sub, and intend to play for the long haul. If you do not play much when taking out annual pass, then less chance you will take out annual pass. The other time you would play more is when it is running out, and you want to cancel, so that you can have another blast with it and see if it is worthwhile to sub.

There are many factors to take into consideration, but if you are after accuracy you will never get it, and that is the reason why Xfire gets bashed because people want perfection, but it is the best guide there is, as Xfire supports a lot of games and virtually every PC game from the past 8 years or so, whereas other things do not.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Tell me what was the drop on number of players in gw2 in the past 2 months. Because going by xfire gw2 has about 60% of Wow's user base. So what is your point precisely?

Read whole thread before asking such questions.

But by how much?

To a degree subs are represented but with a time shift. Good example are annual passes (or any long term sub). Whie company will count long term subber as a sub een if he doesnt log in any more, XFire will actually show that he doesnt log in any more. Also you have to presume that people that dont log in any more wont continue to sub when sub runs out. Which is perfectly sound presumption.

How much can be determined but with very large margin of error so its pointless to discuss, one side will pull to one extreme, other to the other extreme and nothing can be actually discussed normally.

What you can say is that GW2 has seen dropoff, and by word of developer, stabilized, showed some growth after stabilization period. If that correlates to what XFire showed its yet another proof that XFire was right (and it did show that).

Obvious issue is demographic skews, if the majority of xfire players were pvp and they left, it would show a large dip. however if there were plenty of people who buy the game and play pve only and the pve players didn't leave, then it would show a large decrease in players for the game when the total number actually increased. That's the issue and why it's not considered accurate. As if the play styles of those players are skeweered then there would be large difference in predicted drop and actual drop.

Why would PVP players use it more?

That is hogwash, there is no indication whatsoever that shows what kind of people use Xfire more than others.

I am a PVE player mainly, and avoid PvP like the plague, and I still use Xfire religiously. I use it to capture screenshots and videos, as it is easier than using other tools, and uploading to a webapage, plus can use it to communicate with friends. Xfire is one programme and does it all, instead of using FRAP, Teamspeak, and a program to upload files to webspace when you have it all in one with Xfire

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Why are you guys still attacking the numbers reported by xfire when no one said xfire is about the numbers, but the trends in pc gaming? Try to prove that xfire trends are no pc gaming trends, if you want to attack the topic at hand. Currently some of you guys are just ignorant of what is actually the topic here and keep spinning in circles.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Wow...56 pages. And here I though XFire numbers discussions are forbidden around here.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    So if the initial rush at launch equates into 2 million, and the four months after the first made up the next 1 million, than we should be seeing the 6 million mark by the end of 2013. Mind you, things will probably slow down a bit more, but even if it's only 4 or 5 million individual accounts, that's still great.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,030
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    So if the initial rush at launch equates into 2 million, and the four months after the first made up the next 1 million, than we should be seeing the 6 million mark by the end of 2013. Mind you, things will probably slow down a bit more, but even if it's only 4 or 5 million individual accounts, that's still great.

That would be true if you didn't have brand new MMOs scheduled for release this year. I'm thinking 4 million by the end of the year, but because it is B2P, its still possible to hit 6 million, but all we can do at this point is speculate.

Originally posted by IPolygon
    Why are you guys still attacking the numbers reported by xfire when no one said xfire is about the numbers, but the trends in pc gaming? Try to prove that xfire trends are no pc gaming trends, if you want to attack the topic at hand. Currently some of you guys are just ignorant of what is actually the topic here and keep spinning in circles.

The only people that really need to look at the XFire charts are those that don't own the game.

What did I see in my GW2 experience?

Huge packs of players during 3-day headstart, a small surge diuring 1-day headstart and a bigger surge at launch date.

The population spread and dwindle a bit.

In the Halloween and lost shores brought a ton of people (and you could clearly see the surge of the invitee playersin the starter areas).

Since that time and with December the numbers of players have be climbing up.

Sincerely I don't think XFire reflected the intensity of players joining in November and December I've experienced.

If all you want to say is "population went down", "population went up", "population is stable", sure XFire can track those tendencies.

But quantify those tendencies?

Nope.

And that is what many people have been trying to do with XFire, translating into number of players, % of retention and whatnot.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,159

Among the many reasons why xfire isn't a reliable source to evaluate a game's population and/or success, there's one which is pretty obvious and doesn't even require "stat 101" but just a working brain and basic logic.

The number of hours played and the number of people playing is irrelevant if the total population is unknown and can change.

Using total fictive numbers here for the sake of demonstration:

Let's say last January, there were 50.000 total xfire users(*), and 10% of them played WoW for 5 hours a day on average, which makes 5.000 people playing 25.000 hours.

During the year, the number of xfire users drops, for whatever reason. For instance, more and more similar tools are released, also free, and several which are more reliable, simple to use, and of better quality... and also some which don't spy on you and your gaming time... ;-)

This January, there's only 30.000 xfire users (*) left, still 10% playing WoW for 5 hours a day... which makes 3.000 people playing 15.000 hours.

Does this mean WoW's population dropped by 40%?

Of course not. There's still 10% of xfire users playing WoW. WoW's population didn't change.

And that's not the only parameter... specially for people playing MMORPGs, who don't really need stuff like xfire.

xfire is a totally unreliable and meaningless source, and people using it to assess the success or failure of a game need to learn basic logic. But then, I doubt they ever intended to be logic, it's more about bashing a game, and that's a sport where logic doesn't have its place ;)

(*) by "users", I mean active users, those who have the tool installed and run it, and not just people who have an account on that site but no longer use the tool since a long time (like e.g. me, who tried it years ago but uninstalled it after a week or so). And there's NO way to know how many of those active users exist... making the use of xfire as base for any long term game population estimations total nonsense.

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,623
    X-Fire again?  lol  Who even uses it?
    Originally posted by Eir_S

People who need meaningless numbers to bash a game... people who don't care about logic, since logic wouldn't allow them to reach their goal... that kind of people, you see what I mean? ;-)

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Originally posted by Jean_Luc_Picard

People who need meaningless numbers to bash a game... people who don't care about logic, since logic wouldn't allow them to reach their goal... that kind of people, you see what I mean? ;-)

It's not a reliable source of "numbers", and it never has been.  Not for any game.  Apart from that, the program isn't even that well made.  I had it installed for a very short time before I wanted its unsightly presence removed from my pc. 

The best numbers to judge GW2's success is still 3 million.  People will balk and cry "retention", but the solid facts are that there are plenty of people playing the game, and it's following GW1 into the best seller list.  Again, who cares about shitty X-Fire?

It's not a reliable source of "numbers", and it never has been.  Not for any game.  Apart from that, the program isn't even that well made.  I had it installed for a very short time before I wanted its unsightly presence removed from my pc. 

I had the same experience with that tool. Kept it for like a week, and then nuked it into oblivion.

Thing is, they still keep your account on their website, and you are still counted in the 22 million or so users listed on the first page of their site, even if you don't use the tool anymore for years. I doubt the number of active users is 10%, or even just 5% of that number, since they never delete accounts. And since there's no way to know that, xfire numbers are useless for any statistic purposes or assessment of a game's population, except for personal statistics about one's own game play time of course.

Ha.  I didn't even know that...... well that explains a few things by itself.

I use Xfire and it has its problems, but it works better than Raptr and other similar tools, and does everything all in one.

If you believe GW2 has 3 million players then you should believe Xfire has 22 million users. it is the same thing.

22 million or so people who have used Xfire may or may not now use it

3 million people who have bought GW2 may or may not now play it.

Xfire is the best guide for PLAYERS, and is better than assuming it still has the 3 mllion purchasers, but it does not show EXACT numbers, and that is what the main problem is

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

This January, there's only 30.000 xfire users (*) left, still 10% playing WoW for 5 hours a day... which makes 3.000 people playing 15.000 hours.

Of course not. There's still 10% of xfire users playing WoW. WoW's population didn't change.

And that's not the only parameter... specially for people playing MMORPGs, who don't really need stuff like xfire.

beyond your example,  this actually happened

Xfire WOW Jan 2012 players - 20,600

Xfire WOW Jan 2013 players - 5,600

Xfire is not a good tool for predicting population trends

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

beyond your example,  this actually happened

Xfire WOW Jan 2012 players - 20,600

Xfire WOW Jan 2013 players - 5,600

Xfire is not a good tool for predicting population trends

Was there a patch or maintenance in WoW on Jan 11th?

Was Jan 6th sunday?

Was Dec 30 sunday?

Was Dec 23 sunday?

Dec 16?

I use Xfire and it has its problems, but it works better than Raptr and other similar tools, and does everything all in one.

If you believe GW2 has 3 million players then you should believe Xfire has 22 million users. it is the same thing.

Xfire is the best guide for PLAYERS, and is better than assuming it still has the 3 mllion purchasers, but it does not show EXACT numbers, and that is what the main problem is

GW2 has 3 million purchasers and has 3 million potential users at any time.

Yeah same with Xfire, although 22 million, and has more potential for more, as it is free.

On that theory SWTOR has the potential for more than 2.5 million players, considering people can play it without paying anything, and chances are the people playing it now are more likely not the 2 million that quit before F2P, but the remaining 8 million potentail WOW players who sat on the fence at its release

Xfire stats are not accurate but they are closer estimate than the 3 million figure

Yeah same with Xfire, although 22 million, and has more potential for more, as it is free.

On that theory SWTOR has the potential for more than 2.5 million players, considering people can play it without paying anything, and chances are the people playing it now are more likely not the 2 million that quit before F2P, but the remaining 8 million potentail WOW players who sat on the fence at its release

Xfire stats are not accurate but they are closer estimate than the 3 million figure

You mean 3000 players?

Or 2/3 of WoW population?

Or 20% of 3 millions?