Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 million copies sold since august general consensus so far

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Re-upload pics, resolution is too low.

click on the Xfire pics in the post -- they expand

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    (...)

By the way large/good enough aren't characteristics of a random population.

Polling 1000 male gamers if they think female characters are oversexualized in games will be no different than polling 10000 male gamers, when the objective is what do gamers think about it.

Quick comment: you can investigate whether or not male gamers are representative of males as a whole when it comes to opinion about oversexualizing in games, so if you once notice that male gamers are representative, you can be rather certain that next poll within a certain time frame focusing only on male gamers would reflect the opinions accuretely of males as a whole.

The key lies in knowing how well the smaller group represents the whole group;  just because the smaller group is not a random sample of the larger group, it does not necessarely mean that the smaller group does not represent the larger group acccuretely. Furthermore, the smaller group (even if not random) may represent the larger group well in certain aspects, but badly in other ones.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    It amazes me how little about statistics the GW2 fans in this thread know.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Warband
    Guild Wars 2 has sold over 3 million copies since its August, according to an update on the MMO’s website from director Colin Johanson, who also outlined the team’s 2013 plans for the title starting with expanding and leveraging the achievement system.

So now that the game has sold 3 million, what are peoples opinions on it's relative success or dissapointments in comparison to recent themepark mmo's and people, still playing there views on the state of the game.

I beleive McDonalds also does a great trade. 

Originally posted by Nadia

Re-upload pics, resolution is too low.

click on the Xfire pics in the post -- they expand

Thanks.

So about the question that was posed: given the 1 month interval shown in those pics, neither game seem to show any significant decline during that month alone.'

Edit:

As for:

Now question number 2.

WoW in January 2012 had 90K hours played.

Now WoW in January 2013 has 25K hours played.

So should we expect a loss of 2.5M is subs soon (60% of the 4M rumoured west subs)?

If not, does that mean XFire users are shrinking?

Are launch and special events/patchs peaks a good starting point to measure population decline or rise?

I would expect the difference in hours played to be clearly reflected within the game. As in people would indeed notice the difference in activity. If I were Blizzard I would also be alarmed about the reduced interest, since once people stop playing actively, they are one step closer to abandoning the game altogether. 

That Xfire user base is shrinking is indeed a factor that is relevant to analyze given that a whole year passed by. I would be though surprised if it explains the whole decrease in activity.

As for whether or not launch and special events are good starting point to measure popuation decline or rise, I would say no because "good" is a comperative term and I think  waiting one month after release when the dust has settled to be a better starting point.  However, then again, if the game has no sub, it may be reevant to start from the beggining since we won't have sub numbers to compare to later on.

ill bite into this stat discussion (even tho this whole Xfire / Statistical worth is offtopic)

2 years ago - a study was released about videogamers

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_Essential_Facts_2010.PDF

looking at this study, one might assume that because the ratio is 42% female to 58% male for videogamers that could infer that applies to mmos too

it may but it may not,

accordng to same study, multiplayer online games only represented 14% of the video games played

but the study didnt go into more detail about gender ratios per gaming styles

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Anyone trying to use Xfire as a random sample is a moron.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Unless my Stat 101 book is suddenly out of date, XFire meets the criteria of a 'random sample' for decline / incline of games.

No selection bias and a sufficient sample size.

Whether the ANALYSIS of the sample is statistically sound or not is another issue.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

I would expect the difference in hours played to be clearly reflected within the game. As in people would indeed notice the difference in activity. If I were Blizzard I would also be alarmed about the reduced interest, since once people stop playing actively, they are one step closer to abandoning the game altogether. 

That Xfire user base is shrinking is indeed a factor that is relevant to analyze given that a whole year passed by. I would be though surprised if it explains the whole decrease in activity.

why shoud blizzard care?

Blizzard announced they had 10.2m subs a year ago Q1 2012

it dropped by 1 million in the summer but was back to 10 million 2 months ago - Nov 2012

Blizzard will announce their Q4 2012 financials in a few weeks

Originally posted by jpnz

Unless my Stat 101 book is suddenly out of date, XFire meets the criteria of a 'random sample' for decline / incline of games.

Whether the ANALYSIS of the sample is statistically sound or not is another issue.

No, I think the question is whether it provides a statistically biased sample.  

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk

No, I think the question is whether it provides a statistiacally biased sample.  

Last I checked, Xfire doesn't report one game more favorably over the other.

There is no 'bias' when installing Xfire amongst gamers cause any gamer can install the program.

Unless we go down the 'But you have to DO STUFF' argument again (thus voiding every survey / poll done ever), it is statisitically a sound sample.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

There is no 'bias' when installing Xfire amongst gamers cause any gamer can install the program.

Unless we go down the 'But you have to DO STUFF' argument again (thus voiding every survey / poll done ever), it is statisitically a sound sample.

The problem with all survey's is that they ignore the apathetic masses.  The installation of XFire connotes an above average interest imo.  

it is biased

games runs promotions to encourage players to install Xfire for their game

http://www.xfire.com/cms/xf_conan_rules/

LOL is recognized as the #1 game on Xfire -- and LOL had xfire promtions in the past

i dont think Xfire is worthless but i dont think its any better than Vgchartz as an informational tool

why shoud blizzard care?

it dropped by 1 million in the summer but was back to 10 million 2 months ago - Nov 2012

Because any information indicating that the future may not be bright, is to varying degree of concern for the affected company. Heck, if I were them, I would start a propaganda campaign as well and refuting the results of XFire would be one of them: as in showing that the activity decrease does not even remotely match the decrease among all players (which is data they should have). Any measurement that goes against the game is bad, so if one has the information to refute them, why not? Takes 30 minutes of their time, max.

The problem with all survey's is that they ignore the apathetic masses.  The installation of XFire connotes an above average interest imo.  

It is not a problem when the non-apathetic part of the population think more or less the same as the apathetic part of the population, which has been shown to be true at least in case of political voting polls.

why shoud blizzard care?

Because any information indicating that the future may not be bright, is to varying degree of concern for the affected company. Heck, if I were them, I would start a propaganda campaign as well and refuting the results of XFire would be one of them: as in showing that the activity decrease does not even remotely match the decrease among all players (which is data they should have). Any measurement that goes against the game is bad, so if one has the information to refute them, why not? Takes 30 minutes of their time, max.

if Blizzard reacts to Xfire - Blizzard also validates Xfire

why should Blizzard give Xfire any press?

It is not a problem when the non-apathetic part of the population think more or less the same as the apathetic part of the population, which has been shown to be true at least in case of political voting polls.

citation please? 

why shoud blizzard care?

i Blizzard reacts to Xfire - Blizzard also validates Xfire

So you are saying that proving someone wrong, validates the results of what was proven wrong?

citation please? 

Do you have an example of any major polling institute that was extremely wrong when it came to the Obama re-election voting percentages?

citation please? 

Do you have an example of any major polling institute that was extremely wrong when it came to the Obama re-election voting percentages?

I live in the UK, and I have seen parties come into power against polls due to voter apathy, repeatedly.  

citation please? 

I live in the UK, and I have seen parties come into power against polls due to voter apathy, repeatedly.  

I see. To what extent were the polls wrong? Did they get  over twice as many votes as the polls had indicated?

citation please? 

I see. To what extent were the polls wrong? Did they get  over twice as many votes as the polls had indicated?

Splitting hairs now. The point stands.  

i Blizzard reacts to Xfire - Blizzard also validates Xfire

So you are saying that proving someone wrong, validates the results of what was proven wrong?

when i say validate

i mean it shows that Blizzard cares about Xfire and takes it seriously (which they dont)

when DFC claimed LOL was the #1 online PC game in the world

http://www.prweb.com/releases/dfc/xfire/prweb9684487.htm

i dont recall Blizzard reacting at all - they ignored it

Blizzard has never discussed Xfire to the public, why should they start now?

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I left after only a month.  Game was way to easy and way to casual to hold my interest.  Getting rid of the trinity is fine, but what they put in its place with the down state was horrible.  The culling in wvwvw is what took the last bit of fun I was having out of it.

Finished with a lvl 80 guardian in full exotics which I was able to get in about 2 days from the stupid easy dungeons.  It could have been my build was broken as hell, but i could grab a pug and take them through most dungeons with no deaths on their first run.  - stupid easy

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62

Do we really need a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square, within a square?

As to the topic, played for two months then quit because it is very boring and repetative.   WoW kept me paying a subscription on and off for years.  I don't pay anything monthly for this and uninstalled it after only a couple months.  Very shallow game.