Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ekse weirded out by GameSpot Review?

sygmassygmas Member Posts: 949

Well assuming they concealed the score from you and you read the thing from start to finish. You'd be surprised it said 7.3 at the end. Almost 90% of the review is spoken in a positive light -- then he reserves about a paragraph or two for bugs or shortcomings of the game. Most of which are pretty standard or not at all gamebreaking mentions, but somehow they bring the game down a possible 2.7 points out of 10.

Guess I can't be surprised. I believe this is the same guy who gave WoW the most biased review on the internet. (95% anyone? It's good but not /that/ good.) MMO's never get 95%'s.

The storyline hasn't even been integrated yet as its waiting to coincide with the European release and should be ramping up April 6th, extremely premature review from an extremely unqualified journalist it seems. Also especially confusing barring all the other points based on how positive it seems most of it and then the confusing score thereafter.

There might very well be issues with the game that could bring the score to a 7.3 -- but he sure as hell doesn't mention them.

Comments

• HotsumaaHotsumaa Member Posts: 16

Well, why do you even care what score they give Mxo? I mean, if you like the game which you obviously do, it shouldn't bother you.

• sygmassygmas Member Posts: 949

Originally posted by Hotsumaa
    Well, why do you even care what score they give Mxo? I mean, if you like the game which you obviously do, it shouldn't bother you.

Doesn't bother me at all actually -- just found it weird.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

it's common knowledge that gamespot is full of shit.

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

Although i think MxO deserves no higher rating i do think that the review is crap.
    First: You can't review a MMO in such a short amount of time.
    Second: He's obviously extremely biased. I see the same in german press. It's unbelievable how they hype WoW. It made me buy it although i didn't plan to and WoW just is no THAT good. It's solid work but in now it does deserve a 95% rating.

Reviews of MMO's that just came out should be ignored.

• GrimmWrathGrimmWrath Member Posts: 59

MxO recieved a score of GOOD!(albeit on the low side of the range)  The score is pretty much spot on.  MxO isn't a "bad" game, but it's undercooked and illconcieved enough to put off many gamers.  The review doesn't go out of his way to bash the game but there's plenty of negativity in there.

It's also beset with glitches and an overall lack of polish, above and beyond what's par for the course in a style of gaming in which rough edges are to be expected.

Translation: MxO's expected rough edges have rough edges

It's got some very good qualities, but you'll need to wade through a lot of potential frustrations to enjoy them.

Despite a somewhat clunky interface,

But the system isn't as open-ended as you might expect.

Gameplay is heavily focused on quasi-turn-based combat,

Combat in The Matrix Online is emblematic of the entire game, in that some aspects of it are unique and appealing yet the entire system is decidedly rough around the edges.

Unfortunately, the choppy frame rate and occasional bugged animations take away from the experience.

However, even on high-end hardware, you'll still experience numerous hitches, fits, and starts as you play.

Even when the game is running at full steam, you'll spot a lot of repetitive textures on buildings. You'll also notice that there isn't that much detail in the characters and there's not all that much variety in their outfits either.

But the game serves up more than enough impediments to sap its strengths.

Translation: Having fun in MxO requires overlooking awkaward gameplay and an unfinished feel.

It's not that this is a game that only hardcore Matrix fans would enjoy (since they certainly might not), it's that it takes the same sort of person who can appreciate the entire movie trilogy in spite of its flaws to appreciate this game.

It's also recommendable to open-minded Matrix fans who weren't fazed by the backlash against the movie sequels. But otherwise, don't expect The Matrix Online to make a believer out of you.

He uses this idea at both the beginning and the end of his review.  He never actually uses the word "fanboi" but he's clearly thinking it.

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by sygmas
    Well assuming they concealed the score from you and you read the thing from start to finish. You'd be surprised it said 7.3 at the end. Almost 90% of the review is spoken in a positive light -- then he reserves about a paragraph or two for bugs or shortcomings of the game. Most of which are pretty standard or not at all gamebreaking mentions, but somehow they bring the game down a possible 2.7 points out of 10. Guess I can't be surprised. I believe this is the same guy who gave WoW the most biased review on the internet. (95% anyone? It's good but not /that/ good.) MMO's never get 95%'s.The storyline hasn't even been integrated yet as its waiting to coincide with the European release and should be ramping up April 6th, extremely premature review from an extremely unqualified journalist it seems. Also especially confusing barring all the other points based on how positive it seems most of it and then the confusing score thereafter. There might very well be issues with the game that could bring the score to a 7.3 -- but he sure as hell doesn't mention them.

I've been using Gamespot literally since its conception and have found myself in agreement with them on almost every game they've reviewed. The MxO review is no expection and it actually scored very close to what I expected it to get.

Also, I'd agree that WoW didn't deserve 95% if it hadn't gotten similar reviews, scores, and awards pretty much everywhere else.

All that matters at the end of the day is whether you personally like the game or not, and you obviously do so give it 100% in your head and have fun. :)

Oh, and Thoemse, reviewers participate in a good chunk of beta before reviewing an MMO, but you probably already knew that.

• arrisbarrisb Member UncommonPosts: 194

I personally think the main issue here is that hundreds (maybe thousands) of people read these reviews and it all goes against what is, essentially a good MMOG.  Due to the relatively poor score they dont go and buy the game.

The game then loses potential customers, the company behind the game starts "merging" servers and eventually they close the whole thing down leaving nothing but people reminiscing on forums about how great the game was.  

Sure it has its rough edges and I dont think it was ready for retail just yet but hey, they had to release it.  So I play it, like I played it in beta and enjoy it.

Its a tricky sitation for a reviewer I would expect. 

• philiophilio Member Posts: 30

But do you see how MMORPG.com rated MxO? See, I agree with them. It's a good score. I also think that WoW isn't REALLY that good...
    I heard that Gamespot rated WoW so highly, becasue Blizz paid them, or they were in some kind of a business. Anyway, I usually look at the ratings from mmorpg.com because they focus ONLY on mmo's. And gamespot has all the games to review...
    "Think at the world from different views" - Filio::::02::

I personally LOVE the Matrix trilogy, but I don't know if I should try the game...
    What do you think you MxO players? Is tha game worht it?
    I've read about the game a thousand pages, but I still can't make up my mind. Is PvP that GOOD?

Regards,
    Filio

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805

In its current state, MxO is a definate 7.9

7.3 just seemed as if Gamespot rushed with it, hell there have been alot of fixes in the game in the past few weeks.

I usually go to www.gamerankings.com to see a score for a game, because they don't do the scores themselves, it's an average of what most media outlets rate the game. So it usually ends up close to what it should get.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by philio

But do you see how MMORPG.com rated MxO? See, I agree with them. It's a good score. I also think that WoW isn't REALLY that good...
    I heard that Gamespot rated WoW so highly, becasue Blizz paid them, or they were in some kind of a business. Anyway, I usually look at the ratings from mmorpg.com because they focus ONLY on mmo's. And gamespot has all the games to review...
    "Think at the world from different views" - Filio::::02::

I personally LOVE the Matrix trilogy, but I don't know if I should try the game...
    What do you think you MxO players? Is tha game worht it?
    I've read about the game a thousand pages, but I still can't make up my mind. Is PvP that GOOD?
    Regards,
    Filio

MMorpg has NOT rated MxO, that is the USER rating, that, by the way, is near Gamespot user rating. But always a rating of game goes up for a while (when the real fans plays it as the others wait a few months to buy it) and then down when more objective people comes in.

Anyhow, the Gamespot review seems to say that the game is decent (but not excellent), it has some innovation, but they put quite the enphasis to the amount of game stopping bugs and crashes they experienced.

Reading trough the review i think the vote was the right one. It do not seems to me to be contradictory (speaking only about the review here, not if the review and the game coincide, i have no elements for that)

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by sygmas
    Well assuming they concealed the score from you and you read the thing from start to finish. You'd be surprised it said 7.3 at the end. Almost 90% of the review is spoken in a positive light -- then he reserves about a paragraph or two for bugs or shortcomings of the game. Most of which are pretty standard or not at all gamebreaking mentions, but somehow they bring the game down a possible 2.7 points out of 10. Guess I can't be surprised. I believe this is the same guy who gave WoW the most biased review on the internet. (95% anyone? It's good but not /that/ good.) MMO's never get 95%'s.The storyline hasn't even been integrated yet as its waiting to coincide with the European release and should be ramping up April 6th, extremely premature review from an extremely unqualified journalist it seems. Also especially confusing barring all the other points based on how positive it seems most of it and then the confusing score thereafter. There might very well be issues with the game that could bring the score to a 7.3 -- but he sure as hell doesn't mention them.

Like he said, the problems are big problems in the game. I guess they didn't like, how it really needs a good PC since even in the video review you saw FPS lag and I doubt they're running a PC, which everyday person can get. Also, he said that the bugs are quite annoying and it's all about leveling. The animation of fighting can get messy, when in a group also.

Anhoter thing is that he might not be a Matrix fan at all, or that he is totally neutral about it.

in which case he was full of shit.

Anyone who actually PLAYS this game knows this. There are very few bugs left in teh game, little to no lag, and besides all that....

...it's a fun game.

Nothing to do but level.....rofl. Go read http://www.matrixonline.com front page, or maybe atake a look at the coverage by teh associated press. Nothing like this has ever been done with a game before.

This is what an RPG is supposed to be.

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

I haven't played the game, but I've seen a lot of games saying that there are tons of things to do in a game and they even list the things, but overall those things aren't that fantastic and won't keep you on it for a long time.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Ever played a pen & paper RPG? Remember how it wasn;t so much about the levels, as the story? That's how MxO is.

It's like playing with a live GM, with live players assuming the roles of feature characters, and villains.

There's nothing like it in the MMORPG world. It brings back role-play to a level that just intense.

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

I would have put it a lot closer to a 6. The mechanics, as stated, were creative, but carried out poorly. I wouldn't call it rough edges so much as I would call it not fun at all.

Short an intuitive, easy to learn but hard to master combat system, I will not be playing an game, MMO or not. MxO's combat system is a pile, it's clunky, it's transparent, and it's a bore.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

Yes, I have. Biggest waste of $50 ever. Well, actually Enter the Matrix was worse (slightly).

Blocky graphics, choppy animations, terrible combat mechanics, innovative community ideas (AO had those too, remember?), innovative story line implementation, but overall too much poorly implemented basics to keep me playing for more than a month.

This story line and questing implementation will be ripped by a myriad of other games that already have good graphics and mechanics behind them within the next 6 months. Nice try, but sorry this is more like a community development preview for other games that have anyone who's even half paying attention to what is going on in the genre.

Thank you, drive through.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• lotarlotar Member Posts: 16

this game sucks. Maybe in a few months I'll check it out again. The fanbois here are always posting, why you may ask? cuz the Mxo servers are alwasy hosed. LOL

Edit: Arguing with fanbois makes my head hurt.

• jackman11118jackman11118 Member Posts: 399
    Werent you that guy with that sig that had that chinese dood fighting the old dude? if so, why are you hating on the game? if not, my bad :)

• badkarma2badkarma2 Member Posts: 10

The one problem with rating a MMO is that reviews (such as Gamespot) might not get it right because the game is constantly changing. New patches, new story lines, new quest, new items can and will be added. So who is to say the if the game is no good now it wont be good later. I remember when EQ came out there was a patch just about every month to fix things. Making the game better or worse depending on who you are.

So its a little unfair to rate the Matrix(or any MMO) so soon after the release date. This is not Halo 2 where nothing could be added to the game except maps. The world in the Matrix will be constantly changing. Who know where the story will take players 1 week, 1 month or even a year from now. 

Just my .02 

ever notice how people who don't like a game have to call those who do interestng litte names? Maybe they lack the maturity to apprecitate the game. Maybe they SHOULD be off playing a watered down phantasy game with cartoon graphics.

• GoksGoks Member Posts: 37

Tossing in my 2 cents...

Hubby's been doing beta for a while now. Whichever beta he was in, they just recently closed it. The toons seemed to move well, the "world" looked good, yada yada. But the thing I don't understand (and him either) is how they can say they are ready to shut down beta, and that looming release date? Last he played the bad guys were migrating into huddles, some even on a weird track making them run into the walls. When they opened up extra beta to test the servers... everyone was perpetually getting booted and the servers were crashing like mad. Any game that fits your nitch will be liked by that player, but seriously they need to seriously work out a lot more of those bugs and fast.

There is a little hero in all of us.
    -Goks, CoH, Infinity Server

beta is not retail.

Been playing pretty much non-stop since release, and especially since yesterday morning, the Method server at elast has been totally stable.

They patch daily, don't forget. I'd say they're putting the effort forth.

• MythosaeonMythosaeon Member UncommonPosts: 68

Reviews that come shortly after release can be very valuable to potential players who were not in Beta and had not  been following the development or who may have just learned of the game's existance.  Those gamers what to know "What's it like gameplay-wise and is it fun now?"

While the Release condition of the game obviously does not represent the full changing condition and story of an MMORPG, it does represent how the game play's, it's general layout/feel, and it's focus.  Those basic things are not going to change dramatically over it's lifetime.  AO is worlds better than it was at Release but the basics have not substantially altered.  MxO will likely follow AO's life course...a quasi popular game for a time to general declining subscrition base to an eventual free game as it winds down.  Too much of MxO's core construction is too retro to last long term as MMOs continue to evolve.  That's not to say MxO isn't fun now and won't be far more enjoyable in a few months.  The review hits it rather well, there's a novelty to it, it's the familiar yet different (for good and bad), and the current technical problems may make this a game for some players to steer clear of for a couple months.

Early reviews do not represent long term conditions but are an accurate gauge for the basics of an MMO.  Reviewers often have been part of the Beta for some time.  The "magic bullet" Release Day patch theory has never held up for any game release and likley never will.  MxO is no exception.  The lag and technical glitches may fade over time, but the core gameplay of the product and the general look and feel do not change significantly from late Beta to Release.

-Myth-

• MythosaeonMythosaeon Member UncommonPosts: 68

back you demons of double post image

-Myth-