Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darksiders: The kind of story Diablo 3 *should* have had...

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Warning :  Darksiders game spoiled 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaeq1E9WJw

Anyway, I rest my case!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot.

I probably won't care if the story is 10x better, or 10x worse.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot.

I don't see how this can be construed as a defense of the game.  In Darksiders, the story serves the same purpose.  Same with Borderlands, and Torchlight, and dozens of other games that have better stories.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by Souldrainer
    To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot. I probably won't care if the story is 10x better, or 10x worse.

I don't see how this can be construed as a defense of the game.  In Darksiders, the story serves the same purpose.  Same with Borderlands, and Torchlight, and dozens of other games that have better stories.

Why would the game need defending? It's not a woman's virtue or a man's honor, or vice versa. I like the story in D3. The Darksiders story doesn't impress me. In neither case would the story induce me to part with money on it's own. What is this need to pick everything apart?

You make a very strange argument. Nonetheless, the game is being attacked for its horrible story everywhere, including Youtube, Amazon, and Metacritic. Now, I respect that your opinion varies, but the D3 story is very juvenile and has poor development of plot and characters, the latter of which are one dimensional, whereas DS has rich, deep characters with multiple facets of light and darkness within themselves. Was the Darksiders story too complex for you?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Yeah, sorry. I love D3 and will defend it to the death, but the story was absolute crap. It plays out like something written by a high school student for a comp class project, and a C+ (being generous) one at that.

Belial, the lord of lies and deception, has a plot which wouldn't even make the cut as an episode of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Azmodan, supposedly the best tactician of Hell, attacks at the most predictable place, in the most predictable manner possible (HELL ZERG!). Not only that, but he announces to the hero exactly what he's doing / is going to do at all times. Then fails to retreat when it's clear he's beaten.

Cain dies to EVIL BUTTERFLY MAGIC.

Zultan Kulle may as well have had a goddamn neon sign over his head saying, "I WILL BETRAY YOU BITCHES! BWAHAHAHAHA!" *vanishes*

Adria was nearly as bad. "Oh yes, I've sacrificed everything to combat evil! Don't question me! I'm a good guy, really! Even though I treat my daughter with less love than most people treat their sex toys..."

Anyone with half a brain (or less) can pretty much guess that Leah was Diablo's child by the end of the first 8th of Act 1.

Stephanie Meyer could come up with a better plot, better characters, and better dialogue. The only redeeming factor was the kick-ass cutscenes.

Edit: And those are just some of the major problems. I could practically write my own novel on all the plot holes & inconsistencies in the story. Seriously, it's like George Lucas wrote the damn thing while he was drunk, high, feverish, or all of the above.

Why would the game need defending? It's not a woman's virtue or a man's honor, or vice versa. I like the story in D3. The Darksiders story doesn't impress me. In neither case would the story induce me to part with money on it's own. What is this need to pick everything apart?

You make a very strange argument. Nonetheless, the game is being attacked for its horrible story everywhere, including Youtube, Amazon, and Metacritic. Now, I respect that your opinion varies, but the D3 story is very juvenile and has poor development of plot and characters, the latter of which are one dimensional, whereas DS has rich, deep characters with multiple facets of light and darkness within themselves. Was the Darksiders story too complex for you?

Too overblown and overdramatic. The plot is fine the presentation is strictly amature hour.

Overblown and overdramatic?  You're playing one of the four most powerful beings in the entire Multiverse.  I think you might be used to plots where you are one person among the faceless masses.  DS isn't like that. 

uh? how is it not a defend of the story aspect of the game? I am saying story is just not important and not why i play D3. If i want a good story, i read David Weber, my fav author.

If the combat is fun, and builds varies, why do i care about the story?

To be fair, the story  in D3 is jsut a thin excuse to kill lots of stuff and get loot. I probably won't care if the story is 10x better, or 10x worse.

uh? how is it not a defend of the story aspect of the game? I am saying story is just not important and not why i play D3. If i want a good story, i read David Weber, my fav author.

Well, some of us played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 for the story. For Diablo2 especially, beating a new act and unlocking a new cinematic was really awesome. Diablo 3.... honestly makes me want to slap the writers upside the head. Leah is the daughter of The Wanderer, making Deckard Cain your character's brother in Diablo 1. I am sorry, but shit like that just takes a great franchise and ruins it.

Well, some of us played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 for the story. For Diablo2 especially, beating a new act and unlocking a new cinematic was really awesome. Diablo 3.... honestly makes me want to slap the writers upside the head. Leah is the daughter of The Wanderer, making Deckard Cain your character's brother in Diablo 1. I am sorry, but shit like that just takes a great franchise and ruins it.

Oh really? That it will make D1 & D2 a very short game. If you are playing for the story, there is no point in going through the same story segment more than once, right?

Oh really? That it will make D1 & D2 a very short game. If you are playing for the story, there is no point in going through the same story segment more than once, right?

There is no "point" to any entertainment, ever.  I think overall, I have watched the Diablo 1 cinematics about 50 times each and the Diablo 2 cinematics about 200 times.  I was really blown away at first, and I still watch them sometimes, and still love them.  The cinematic voice acting was superb and the direction and overall presentation was above anything I have seen in gaming, perhaps even now.  Maybe the SWTOR cinematics compare, but in Diablo 2, the cinematics went with the story as you progressed, whereas in SWTOR they are just backstory.

By contrast, Diablo 3 did one thing right with the story, by telling it as you went along.  However, the story they told was one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever seen.  I am trying to think of a game or movie that had worse writing, but just the plot holes alone send the thing way off the charts.  That's not counting the thematic disconnect and the failure to attach to the massive target audience of Diablo fans.  But hey, who cares about making a good game, as long as you make money?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

So is it now standard to bash every game on it's story component, or does this only apply to D3?

Originally posted by Psychow

So is it now standard to bash every game on it's story component, or does this only apply to D3?

Did you read any of the thread at all?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

No. I figured it was more biased garbage from someone who would rate the game 0 / 10 and deem it worse than ET from Atari. 

If I'm mistaken, then I apologize...

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Warning :  Darksiders game spoiled 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaeq1E9WJw

Anyway, I rest my case!

Love the Darksider games. A very valid point.

No. I figured it was more biased garbage from someone who would rate the game 0 / 10 and deem it worse than ET from Atari. 

If I'm mistaken, then I apologize...

Explain what makes me biased.. and what makes it garbage? All I did was compare the stories from other games to the one from D3. Too much for you?

Edit: Giving a game a low rating doesn't equate to bias. It simply equates to... a low rating. I give it 0/10 because it's actually a thinly veiled marketing tool though... no real game to it.

By contrast, Diablo 3 did one thing right with the story, by telling it as you went along.  However, the story they told was one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever seen.  I am trying to think of a game or movie that had worse writing, but just the plot holes alone send the thing way off the charts.  That's not counting the thematic disconnect and the failure to attach to the massive target audience of Diablo fans.  But hey, who cares about making a good game, as long as you make money?

You can't make money without making a good game. There is still more people playing D3 then most other online games (xfire numbers).

And .. the original point is that who cares about a good story when the game is great in combat and progression. The story is just an excuse to kill lots of stuff. And story is never the main attraction in a Diablo game.

You can't make money without making a good game. There is still more people playing D3 then most other online games (xfire numbers).

And .. the original point is that who cares about a good story when the game is great in combat and progression. The story is just an excuse to kill lots of stuff. And story is never the main attraction in a Diablo game.

What?!?!  I do NOT believe that you have to make a good product to make money.  I believe you just have to make a product, period.  As evidenced by:  Justin Beiber, and 90% of the sales at Wal Mart.  People buy some really low quality crap these days.

And... the original point is that who cares?  Well, if you are a Diablo fan, you do, because it is a major staple of the series.  Err, it was until that trashy game came out in 2012 and ruined the whole thing.

What?!?!  I do NOT believe that you have to make a good product to make money.  I believe you just have to make a product, period.  As evidenced by:  Justin Beiber, and 90% of the sales at Wal Mart.  People buy some really low quality crap these days.

And... the original point is that who cares?  Well, if you are a Diablo fan, you do, because it is a major staple of the series.  Err, it was until that trashy game came out in 2012 and ruined the whole thing.

So you're the arbiter of all that's good? I don't think so. While you're here questioning the story in D3 did you ever figure out what the plot was? Because you seem confused. Do you know who the wanderer was?

Exactly. Good for enough people -> make money. There are always haters for any product.

LOL .. the major staple of Diablo is build your character, and kill lots of stuff, not its story. The story boils down to .. there are bad evil demons, let's kill them.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

So you're the arbiter of all that's good? I don't think so. While you're here questioning the story in D3 did you ever figure out what the plot was? Because you seem confused. Do you know who the wanderer was?

Exactly. Good for enough people -> make money. There are always haters for any product.

LOL .. the major staple of Diablo is build your character, and kill lots of stuff, not its story. The story boils down to .. there are bad evil demons, let's kill them.

Story in a hack&slash dungeon grinder ?

Stories are to be read and experienced ... once, not 5.000 times all over.

The best story in the world can only be experienced 3 times with a 10 year interval if possible.

D3 fell victim to the pre SW TOR hype launch: and so it included TOO MUCH story.

Since SW TOR we ALL know story is NOT the 4th pillar of on line games and never will be.

So, you obviously never played Diablo 2.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

People put D2 much too high in their memories. I know I didn't like it. It aged pretty badly in graphics and engine compared to say WOW. The latest D2 expansion was launched 3 years before the full 3D Azeroth and the difference was staggering.

When I look at that stuttering, badly pixelled and terrible clunky interface of D2 I only see a game that reminds of the 80's. The beautiful in game cinematics were the complete opposite of the world you actually played in.

I guess anyone remembering D2 as gothic or creepy must have been 8 years old at the time. Frankly D3's engine and graphics blow D2 away in 5 seconds tops.

-

To me the only thing that Blizzard did wrong is that they stayed too close to D2 in game mechanics. These game mechanics are difficult to swallow by the new gamer crowds who demand full 3D. It is not the AH, it is not the hollow gameplay, it is not the extreme grinding, it is not the stats on gear chase.

D3 resembles too much a game that was fun for the late 80''s to mid 90's like D2, but these days people want more.

I predicted this 3 years before D3: what the hell ? a fake 3D Zaxxon game launched after full 3D Azeroth ? it would never succeed.

As it turned out actually, D3 did some nice new things, like making a very casual on line game with the attempt of putting a trading market in the game instead of in ebay.

But D3 can only be played in a very casual way and most want to play it like an mmorpg and that's the problem: D2 mechanics no longer work these days.

That's why Blizzard Dota will work (also casual, no attunements etc) and fast on line engine.... WITH PvP.

But watch this: TL1, TL2, PoE and all those other D2 clones: dead after 1 year. D3 will survive because of the Blizzzard BattleNet and some people will always click on it to smash some mobs for a few weeks, but that's about it.

The rest is, as they say, history.

I did and i totally ignore the story. You just kill stuff in D2 .. just like in D1. After you repeat the same act for 100 times, do you really care about teh story? Isn't it about building your character and getting good items?

Originally posted by sportsfan

But watch this: TL1, TL2, PoE and all those other D2 clones: dead after 1 year. D3 will survive because of the Blizzzard BattleNet and some people will always click on it to smash some mobs for a few weeks, but that's about it.

The rest is, as they say, history.

D3 is still top 10 on xfire after so many month, and it just bumped off PoE (you need to use the detail game list to see).

But at the same time, i don't think longevity is that important in ARPG. PoE is a fun game .. i will play it for a while. So what if i "finish" in 3 weeks. I will have a fun 3 weeks.

People put D2 much too high in their memories. I

Dude, this is the same kind of retarded shit the devs spouted when Diabo 3 was at a (well deserved) 2.8 Metacritic.  I played Diablo 2 last week.  I know the score it deserves.  11/Impossible out of 10.   This is the 2013 score!  Diablo 3 should have been either at least an 8/10 OR a game that at least lived up to alpha footage.   Nope, 0/10 due to excessive commercialism.

• k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

@sportsfan - I couldn't go through all of your comment as it is full of bs and complete nonsense.

80's and mid 90's? Are you on crack? D II was released in 2000 from what I know.

Comparing its graphics to that of the 80's games? Are you serious bra'? It's obvious you have absolutely no knowledge of video games in general.

The reason DIII failed is that they've tried to mmorpgize via WoW mechanics and balance a classic arpg hack&slash formula that doesn't have anything to do with balance. Hack&slashes are all about fun. Top that with the useless auction house that ruined the whole main concept of hack&slashes and you have a piece of crap that most fans hated and droped soon after release.

Why? Because it wasn't fun.

On the story side, I also believe that it's the most craptastic piece of writing I have recently encountered in a AAA title. It doesn't even compare with the previous ones.

The game is too colourful for its own good. You can't have a dark hack&slash with that much yellow and red flying everywhere. Coroborate that with the writing of a high-school freshman and you have the bases for a WoWistique hack&slash buy shit from the auction house respec in a heartbit garbage that failed the franchise and its core fans.

Median is above DIII in design for a hack&slash. A freacking mod. That cannot be. I tell you. Not when you have the resources Blizzard has.

But that happens when most of the talented people working for you said goodbye as soon as you got in bed with a former water and waste "state" enterprise.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

People put D2 much too high in their memories. I

Dude, this is the same kind of retarded shit the devs spouted when Diabo 3 was at a (well deserved) 2.8 Metacritic.  I played Diablo 2 last week.  I know the score it deserves.  11/Impossible out of 10.   This is the 2013 score!  Diablo 3 should have been either at least an 8/10 OR a game that at least lived up to alpha footage.   Nope, 0/10 due to excessive commercialism.

Luckilly, your opinion is just that......your opinion.

Besides, we all know the Metacritic scores consist of trolls like you voting 0/10 and then using them as arguments :).