Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help finding cheapo powered external drive

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Sooo...I need it for my wii u x.x I googled for it but I cant seem to find any really cheap ones -.- I shouldve bought it during black friday but I was way too busy during those days!

So waht do you guys suggest?  I was hoping for somefing cheap wif like...500ish or moar GB and its own power source

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I just got one for my Son's Wii U -

2.5" SATA to USB External Enclosure

Like $8. Stick any 2.5" SATA hard drive in it (I had an old old Samsung SSD I dropped in there). Uses 2 USB slots for power, no external power required.

Something like this:
    Samsung Spinpoint 2.5" M8 500G
    for another $60, gives you storage space if you don't have any old laptop/SSD drives laying about. It won't set any land speed records, but your dealing with USB anyway.

It does take 2 USB ports (one for data, the other for supplimental power) -- it may work just off the Data port depending on how much power your drive pulls (I tried it with mine, it would recognize and format, but fault out when I tried to write if I didn't have the second USB port plugged in).

Wii U has 4 ports anyway - 2 in front and 2 in back, so I just plugged this thing in both the back ports and left it there.

*edit*
    I will say though, after looking a second time:

Toshiba Canvio Basics 500G External
    $60 in the first place, uses only 1 USB port and is self-powered. That may be better for you, if you don't have any spare drives laying about.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Ohhhh thanks Ridelynn! @_@

Now I have my drive and just wishing for a 50 disk changer for my wii u...

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**