Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

questions about the wiz class

evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

hi guys, how viable is the wiz class in solo because i have not encountered significant problems on pub games but the moment i entered solo with my tank npc, i got absolutely destroyed, do i need to like switch one hander and shield too? I expected my tank npc to last for quite a while but i saw his hp bar getting wiped in 3-4 s.

Any useful tips/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149
    People still play this game!!! jokes, from when i played wizard can solo easily, the dps they had was off the chart! not sure about now though. 
  • Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89

My main is a Wizard and she doesn't have problems in Inferno at all, with all the nerfs so far.

Check her here, she's Anndrea. I go like this: Arcane Orb, Magic Missile to regain Arcane Power and a stack of Dinamo, Arcane Orb, etc. When i get 5 stacks of Dinamo, i go right to the enemy and use Wave of Force to obliterate them. Sometimes i use it as a defense tool, mostly with teleporter mobs.

There's many way to survive with a Wizard: try to use Energy Armor with Prismatic Armor to boost your amor and resistances. Teleport is the old beloved skill, it can help you escape from dire situations, and can even free you from jailor mobs. Also, Diamond Skin can be activated even if you're frozen, and it grants you a huge boost to your survivability.

Good luck!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

My main is a wiz too.

In general, wiz is a great class ... can solo up to MP10 farming or uber.

There are many viable builds. You can go visit the official D3 forums. There are many guides.

Personally, i play a hybrid archon build. My gear level can farm MP6 comfortably (with some challenges for tough elite affixes). It 100% mow through anything below. The idea is to use archon form as main dps attack (just melt thru normal mobs), and use living lightning to refresh achon CD. Personally i believe this is the best wiz build. Here is the link to a tutorial thread.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004698743?page=1

However, this is not the most popular build. The most popular is a face-tank CM build. YOu can easily find info by goggling "wiz CM build".

All builds need the right gear though. However,  if you go with a simple kiting build (blizzard + hydra, or arcane orb + hydra), most gear will work. Note that a slow weapon is better for a blizzard or AO build, while the other ones i mention need a fast weapon.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131
    thx for the input guys, thought bout those builds(cm-wiz) and finally ended up with a frost based build that relies on sleet storm/ice armor and 20% increased cold dmg passive. Results: less repair fee, more gold lol
  • wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Old-fashioned CM/WW still works: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VQXYhO!egW!YZaYcZ You need at least 35% crit (buffed) for this build. 40% to play comfortably. And as much AP on crit as you can get.

Pros: very cheap starter gear, practically invincible on MP0-MP1, no need to kite/always close to heath globes, double teleport helps avoid being frozen

Cons: killing speed is not very impressive, DS can absorb only so much even if you spam it so for higher MPs archon is better

On MP1, as long as I hit something, I can stand right on top of an arcane sentry taking zero damage. And that's with just 500 all res, 5k armor which is really cheap to get these days.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Originally posted by sadWinds
    thx for the input guys, thought bout those builds(cm-wiz) and finally ended up with a frost based build that relies on sleet storm/ice armor and 20% increased cold dmg passive. Results: less repair fee, more gold lol

That does not sound like a common build.

A lot of builds use "cold blood" too .. but you don't even need cold damage spell to make that work. When you solo, use the rogue companion, and buy him a buriza, and you get the 20% damage improvement almost all the time.

hey narius, jst an hour ago i decided to try ww/cm wiz lol, its quite op xD, its almost 90% freeze on mobs and unlimited diamond skin , thx to this build i could kil champion packs with `ease` although i face probs with packs with dmg reflect on..

i mean i love playing kiting builds like temporal flux,arcane hydra,seeker,arcane nova but this is build is on a diff level. Anyways, im also curious bout builds with `infinite` archon(havent tried it out yet lol)

hey narius, jst an hour ago i decided to try ww/cm wiz lol, its quite op xD, its almost 90% freeze on mobs and unlimited diamond skin , thx to this build i could kil champion packs with `ease` although i face probs with packs with dmg reflect on..

i mean i love playing kiting builds like temporal flux,arcane hydra,seeker,arcane nova but this is build is on a diff level. Anyways, im also curious bout builds with `infinite` archon(havent tried it out yet lol)

What MP are you playing on?

BTW, personally i love archon builds, and not so much CM .. because i believe wiz should be a range class (not that perma freeze CM is not effective).

Now let's have a discussion about archon build. There are two schools.

1) Perma archon ... for this one, it is more a playstyle than a build. You focus on low MP, and extend archon by killing. In this situation, you need 24% movement speed, and archon teleport. The playstyle is kililng fast, and going from one group to another asap before archon runs out. This is suitable for low MP (because you need to kill elite/champ) fast, and places with hgh mob density (act 3 keep for example).

2) Hybrid archon .. you gear for high crit/aps .. and use a refresher like LL or ET. If you do it well, you should be able to get archon back in less than 10 second if you have a group of mobs to proc CM. I personally run this build .. it is viable for high MP & uber. If you archon runs out, you go to a group, and try to spam LL (or ET) and get archon back ASAP. Some use FN to freeze the mobs when they do that, and i use DS prism (so that i can spam more ET, i opt NOT to wear APOC items because that lower my DPS).

Personally with my current gear setup, 700+ unbuff AR, 30k hp, 50k dps, 44% crit, 3 Apoc item, the highest i tried was so far mp2 lol. I loved Cm wiz tho just that the constant mashing of buttons to perm freeze mob hurt my fingers.

Anyways, I did tried the hybrid archon with the LL, idk if its just me but i find that tele-ing into a group of mob and freezing and WW-ing refreshes my archon faster than LL, altho with LL i do not have to worry bout running out of Ap. The only problem that has been bugging me with hybrid is whether to switch out Frost nova for blood magic weapon(reflect mobs and dont need to worry bout mob dropping health globes)

One thing good bout this archon build is that i always use it to `cruise` through rakkis crossing in the  opposite direction thru the fields of misery(in mp0 tho cos mp1 my archon couldnt sustain). I had a hard time choosing improved,pure power or teleport rune for archon because some mobs can simply wall or jail me lol.

Lastly, i had a question to ask, is hybrid archon works well in  groups? Cause soemtimes i need to switch out of archon form just to freeze-lock certain packs of mobs, dont really mind it although im jst wondering whether im better off swapping that archon skill for explosive blast .

Personally with my current gear setup, 700+ unbuff AR, 30k hp, 50k dps, 44% crit, 3 Apoc item, the highest i tried was so far mp2 lol. I loved Cm wiz tho just that the constant mashing of buttons to perm freeze mob hurt my fingers.

Anyways, I did tried the hybrid archon with the LL, idk if its just me but i find that tele-ing into a group of mob and freezing and WW-ing refreshes my archon faster than LL, altho with LL i do not have to worry bout running out of Ap. The only problem that has been bugging me with hybrid is whether to switch out Frost nova for blood magic weapon(reflect mobs and dont need to worry bout mob dropping health globes)

One thing good bout this archon build is that i always use it to `cruise` through rakkis crossing in the  opposite direction thru the fields of misery(in mp0 tho cos mp1 my archon couldnt sustain). I had a hard time choosing improved,pure power or teleport rune for archon because some mobs can simply wall or jail me lol.

Lastly, i had a question to ask, is hybrid archon works well in  groups? Cause soemtimes i need to switch out of archon form just to freeze-lock certain packs of mobs, dont really mind it although im jst wondering whether im better off swapping that archon skill for explosive blast .

Personaly i use ET to refresh archon instead of LL In the hybrid archon build .. so either way is fine. You do need some LS either from blood magic or a LS weapon. I have a lower DPS LS weapon for reflect damage mobs.

50k dps is a bit low for a archon build .. when you get to may be 100k .. you will be melting mobs in seconds.

Hybrid archon works well in groups .. but not because you are freeze-locking .. that is not your role. It is good because you can deliver the DPS .. by refreshing archon asap, and keep high archon DPS most of the time. If you want to freeze lock mobs, play CM instead.