Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brian Fargo (Wasteland, Fallout, Torment) and Monte Cook (Planescape, D&D 3.X) teaming up to make Pl

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

This will use the new Numenera ruleset from Monte's kickstarter project.  Thoughts?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Wasteland 2 and now Torment 2.   Things are looking up.

Hope they bring Morte back. 

The one thing that concerns me, is the amount of reading required to play the original game.  Today's gamer wont stand for it, we live in a TL:DR society now.  I would be surprised if the budget will be big enough to have that many voice actors to read the volumes of text.  Maybe I exaggerate the amount of reading there was, but I remember there being atleast a novels worth, maybe more.

The combat and quest system didnt hold your hand in the first game.   Compared to todays RPG's, the second torment will have to be dumbed down and hold your hand in order for it to reach a large market.  I have to assume this, because in the end, this is a business venture.  Fargo is trying to prove these games (style of gaming) isnt dead. He will fail at this is all his reboots sell horribly.

This leads me to some thoughts or concerns:

1. They will be true to the first torment and make the second in a similar fashion, modern gamers be damned. 
    2. - or - The game will be considerably dumbed down to attract modern gamers.  Your quests will require no thought and reading the quest details will not be required.  Combat will be simplified.
    3.  Fargo actually gets a large enough budget to hire voice actors.  The game still has a very rich story.   (Disclosure:  I have no clue what voice actors cost, I just assume it is very expensive).

EDIT:  After reading the article, it seems that Morte making an appearance is impossible.  Wizards of the Coast are assholes to say the least.  I wonder what thier motivation is to keep these trademarks so close to the vest.   They wouldnt even let Fargo make a Baldur's Gate 3, that is some bullshit right there.

• EbonyflyEbonyfly Member Posts: 255
    Different creative team, different ruleset, different setting, different characters. It may or may not turn out to be a spiritual successor but it certainly is not a sequel.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

MIsleading title is misleading. 

It's not Planescape: Torment 2. It's Torment 2. Without Planescape. That's a bit of a difference considering how... interesting Planescape setting was in itself. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Ezhae

MIsleading title is misleading.  It's not Planescape: Torment 2. It's Torment 2. Without Planescape. That's a bit of a difference considering how... interesting Planescape setting was in itself. 

Numenera looks pretty interesting in its own right though.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's not Planescape: Torment 2. It's Torment 2. Without Planescape. That's a bit of a difference considering how... interesting Planescape setting was in itself. 

It doesn't matter.  The multiverse is all connected.  New story, new setting, still D&D.

Yeah, but its DnD ran by Monte Cooke. No thanks.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It doesn't matter.  The multiverse is all connected.  New story, new setting, still D&D.

Yeah, but its DnD ran by Monte Cook. No thanks.

This confuses me, considering how well he did with the third edition and with the other systems he wrote, and how he was the original creator of Planescape to begin with.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Making a spiritual successor is a better idea than making a sequel. I really don't want to see any more Morte, because I think the story got a great ending in PST. Trying to milk it some more would probably spoil the whole thing, especially because it's very likely Torment 2 won't be as good as the first game. That's because the first game is the best PC RPG ever, though.

Originally posted by Maephisto

EDIT:  After reading the article, it seems that Morte making an appearance is impossible.  Wizards of the Coast are assholes to say the least.  I wonder what thier motivation is to keep these trademarks so close to the vest.   They wouldnt even let Fargo make a Baldur's Gate 3, that is some bullshit right there.

Based on what I've heard, they're a bunch of idiots. They should try to promote D&D as much as possible. 3e's popularity was partially caused by all the great PC games that were made before it came out. Now that they made a video game friendly system (4e), but are apparently really hard to deal with. Oh, and Pathfinder is getting more popular and getting its own MMO. If that succeeds, "real" D&D will be even more in trouble than it is now.