Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My epiphany on the irony of solo-favored mmos.

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Some of you likely never experienced mmo grouping in its full potential for fun.  And no,  I dont mean with leet guild buddies over vent.   I mean relaxing, having fun,  showing off,  etc with strangers who become friends.

That is not what it cracked up to me. I have friends back in EQ. I have made friends in WOW. I have made friends in D3 (in fact, just another one yesterday).

It is no biggie. I also have rl friends and family. It is nothing special and i wouldn't sacrifice good gameplay just to make friends.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I'm just not interested in your epiphany OP.

Let me know when we can have a joint eulogy and I'll get excited.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Apparently it hasn't occurred to you that people can play multiple  games at the same time and can play single games for several years, which certainly I have done.  I also played in several text-only games for 15+ years straight.  The idea that I have neither the time nor desire to form personal bonds is absurd, the fact is, most people simply are not worth forming those bonds with, regardless of the game.  I've  been in games where I'd be happy to sit down with people for hours on end and just talk.  Those games are few and far between today.  While I'd love to find a community that I have things in common with outside of the game, I've essentially given up hope of ever actually finding one.

Fair enough. I can't think of any game on the market today that fosters such relationships, anyways. Which explains why I'm not playing any MMOs atm.

Games don't foster relationships.  People do.  Don't blame the games, blame the people.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by Arclan

Apparently it hasn't occurred to you that people can play multiple  games at the same time and can play single games for several years, which certainly I have done.  I also played in several text-only games for 15+ years straight.  The idea that I have neither the time nor desire to form personal bonds is absurd, the fact is, most people simply are not worth forming those bonds with, regardless of the game.  I've  been in games where I'd be happy to sit down with people for hours on end and just talk.  Those games are few and far between today.  While I'd love to find a community that I have things in common with outside of the game, I've essentially given up hope of ever actually finding one.

Fair enough. I can't think of any game on the market today that fosters such relationships, anyways. Which explains why I'm not playing any MMOs atm.

Games don't foster relationships.  People do.  Don't blame the games, blame the people.

Relationships in games are at best a by-product. It should never be the main purpose of a game ... an entertainment product. If i just want relationships, there are tons of chat-rooms, dating sites, and what-not.

And it very strange when some wants to limit their community to a single server on a single game. If you want to make friends and play, sign up to something like xfire, or stream .. you can have tons of people to play with and make friends with.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Relationships in games are at best a by-product. It should never be the main purpose of a game...

Ya, we simply come from different backgrounds. You like soloing; I do not. You don't like being part of a team and the responsibility and commitment which it requires. I do. You like quick, twitchy challenges. I like long, complicated challenges that require steadfast dedication and cooperation.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit