Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR's Total World Size (Land Area) is way smaller then WoW?

13»

Comments

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    its Not the size, its the design, in swtor every planet is cookie cutter meshes, same tree same cliff same grass just different hue and a different matte painting backdrop... ridiculous compared to the variety in say wow or eq2
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Achro
    Originally posted by Axxar
    SWTOR has its flaws, but its storylines are not even remotely close to being as shallow as WoW or even GW2.

Their "stories" are hit and miss.

I made a Jedi Consular and the stortyline was just as shallow as any other MMO, maybe I should have researched before I made mine.

yea consular and smuggler was awful,,agent was very good though

gw2 stories may be a little poorer overall, but on the other hand , they are in a good and functional game

so lets see , what is most important to the average player,,,story or gameplay

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

SWTOR is WAY smaller than WoW.

In SWTOR, it's "Follow the Path" or run into mountain walls.

I was hoping that this failure was going to give future devs a wake-up call. But no...    The Elder Scrolls Online is the next max-box sale flop.

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47

Don't know if anybody posted this as yet but,

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/16920

World of Warcraft -- 80mi2

Asheron's Call -- 500mi2

Guild Wars: Nightfall -- 15,000mi2

The Lord of the Rings Online-- 30,000mi2

Asheron's Call only open world among mmo's, GTA also has one.

• ibn_Cartwellibn_Cartwell Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Some of you are proving our points for us.. You view MMORPG's as the same as console games or general single player PC games.. I want my genre back.. I do not want the players that jumped over into my yard to play THEIR style of gaming..  I do not play MMORPG's to relive some pre-written storyline.. KoTOR, Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls of done that along with countless others.. In my opinion, if you don't have the creative imagination to stimunlate your own mind, then please go back to your Xbox's or PC games and leave my MMO genre alone.. LOL  We all see what happen when KoTOR fans wanted a MMO to play.. bahahahaha  WoW was the first and only single player PC game that made the transition into the MMO genre with any success.. I doubt it will ever be repeated, even by Blizzard themself..  Not sure whey every dev team since has tried to duplicated it.. 

I view all video games (including MMOs) as disposable entertainment products.

If you disagree with that view, tough.

Contrary to popular belief, there are MMOs that are profitable and some are even 'WoW-clones'.

DDO, LoTRO, Aion all made their development costs plus profit.

Are they as big as 'WoW'? No, but they made money for the company so they were successful.

Wow clone MMO's are successful in bringing in money sure, because a main portion of the community enjoys lack luster, easy mode, no depth games.

Where true hardcore MMO"s are more successful in bringing awesome content, instead of easy content, resulting in lower numbers because most people enjoy easy mode, simple.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Some of you are proving our points for us.. You view MMORPG's as the same as console games or general single player PC games.. I want my genre back.. I do not want the players that jumped over into my yard to play THEIR style of gaming..  I do not play MMORPG's to relive some pre-written storyline.. KoTOR, Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls of done that along with countless others.. In my opinion, if you don't have the creative imagination to stimunlate your own mind, then please go back to your Xbox's or PC games and leave my MMO genre alone.. LOL  We all see what happen when KoTOR fans wanted a MMO to play.. bahahahaha  WoW was the first and only single player PC game that made the transition into the MMO genre with any success.. I doubt it will ever be repeated, even by Blizzard themself..  Not sure whey every dev team since has tried to duplicated it.. 

LOL! Nice attempt at a Clint Eastwood "get off my lawn"impersonation. Trouble is, you're on our lawn and you're also outnumbered. ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    I have never played the game or have seen every single world map,

First off, you need to play a game if you are going to try to be an authority on said game.  Secondly, this argument was prominent before SWTOR came out, and died about a month after launch.  SWTOR's planets are NOT the size of 3 WOW areas.  It's not even close.  Belsavis is about half a WOW continent.  Hoth is probably the same size as all of WOW put together.  The first 15 levels feature these small zones you speak of... there are four of them.  The other 12+ zones in the game are monstrously huge, so please stop talking out your ass!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

i think to fully understand this you need to actually compare zones.

WoW has what 4 zones now? vanilla, tbc, wrath, panda?

if you take the vanila zone and all the continents ( remember this is no zoning) and compare this to swtor's largest cluster (not a single planet is as big as a continent on wow and that's non zoned) . I'd say the total cluster is probably the same size but definately not an individual planet.

I'd argue to say that wow zones in a whole are much much larger than any planet in swtor and probably very close to a cluster of planets.

if swtor made a planet like swg made  a planet then it'd be a more arguable point. But planets in swtor are "portions" of a planet where as in WoW teh zones are full continents.

It's hard to compare but in a grading scale i think wow would win this by a far margin.

Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    I have never played the game or have seen every single world map,

First off, you need to play a game if you are going to try to be an authority on said game.  Secondly, this argument was prominent before SWTOR came out, and died about a month after launch.  SWTOR's planets are NOT the size of 3 WOW areas.  It's not even close.  Belsavis is about half a WOW continent.  Hoth is probably the same size as all of WOW put together.  The first 15 levels feature these small zones you speak of... there are four of them.  The other 12+ zones in the game are monstrously huge, so please stop talking out your ass!

Exactly. Anyone who says that TOR planets are smaller than WOW are either talking out of their ass or didn't play the game past the starter worlds. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Personal opinion, but I did not like the big planets on TOR.  Most of it just seemed empty and needless, simply there to extend play time and allow for monsters to dismount you as easily as possible.  It probably would've been better for me if there was a day/night cycle and 97% of the mobs weren't just standing in the same spot with a single silver patrolling around them.  The worlds just felt empty and long to me; condensing them so that travel times weren't annoying on a speeder would've even helped a bit.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Not it's not

Only for players who choose to play it that way.

I was hoping that this game which has been bashed to death by people who need to get a life was going to give future devs a wake-up call. But no...    The Elder Scrolls Online is the next game that the haters will spend their time bitching about. 

Fixed. 

Yeah I've noticed that some of you are now spending time bashing TESO for daring to not be sandbox. Maybe at some point you guys will figure out that the genre has passed you by and it's time to find something else to spend your time on that doesn't give you so many ulcers. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Not it's not

Only for players who choose to play it that way.

I was hoping that this game which has been bashed to death by people who need to get a life was going to give future devs a wake-up call. But no...    The Elder Scrolls Online is the next game that the haters will spend their time bitching about. 

Fixed. 

Yeah I've noticed that some of you are now spending time bashing TESO for daring to not be sandbox. Maybe at some point you guys will figure out that the genre has passed you by and it's time to find something else to spend your time on that doesn't give you so many ulcers. 

The genre has passed by themepark also, you can tell by the fail trail after WoW.