Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've wanted to learn how to make a video game since I was 12

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

which was when I owned a Commodore 64.  I learned BASIC and made some fun apps.  Then my computer broke and my Dad was too poor to replace it. 

Fast forward 25 years years and money isn't an issue anymore, and neither is hardware :D  My imagination might not be what it used to be, but most people think I"m plenty wierd enough to come up with some unique game concepts.

I've been playing around with some indie titles and am finding out that these games are made by very small teams of one to two people.   Now, after watching "Indie Game: The Movie" I'm inspired to finally make good my childhood dream.

Where does a know-nothing gamer learn the basics of programming?  I'm so overwhelmed with all of the languages and options - it's mind boggling.

Here's where I'd like to start:  I'd like to make a small simple game (even pong-like) as my first indie game (not to publish, just for myself).  Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can go to learn the basics of video game programming?  I'm not looking to make the next big MMO or anything but I'd love to know where to even start.

99% of what I've ready so far is written by people who assume I know the basics, which I really don't yet.

There are plenty of geeks on this board who've dabbled in programming so I'd love to get some thoughts on the matter.  Thanks :D

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

I'd have to recommend learning C++ first, since most other languages can be learned easily after you learn it.

For actually making a game after you've learned what you need, I'm kinda biased in favor of using Python for 2D games, and PHP for Web stuff (actually HTML+CSS+JS+PHP+MySQL), I haven't done much with 3D yet.

Of course you could always move to one of the newer incarnations of BASIC, but (imho) BASIC's most used modern descendant, VB.NET, is cumbersome to use and hard to read, it's lost its easy-to-use friendliness and simple charm.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Learning C++ likely would just be an excercise in tedium.   One of the most important things to keep yourself motivated is getting feedback, and with C++ it takes a long time to get the feedback you want if you're learning to program for making games. 

I'd recomend C# with XNA: I'd recommend: http://www.xnaresources.com/default.asp?page=TUTORIALS and his book: http://books.google.com/books/about/Xna_4_0_Game_Development_by_Example.html?id=-MqsETKeKZQC available just about anywhere though.   C# is my recommendation since you can get results really fast with XNA. Someone who have never programmed before can get interesting results in a weekend or two following tutorials.   Then to get "new results" not following a tutorial a few months maybe less.

The downside is that microsoft seems to have abandoned the current version of XNA and we probably won't see any type of change until the next XBox is out.  possible a completely new version.   This isn't really all that large an issue when you're learning where to start.   ALso very true the Microsoft has added tons of useless syntax and fluff to visual basic to satistify lots of language fads over the past decade and a half or so.

_______

I also recomend learning to programming is from books.   While books have quite a few flaws like going out of date fast(really even from day one due to time to market), having fewer authors than online articles, and inaccuracies/annoying dogma.  I really value that you're learning from one constant perspective and voice makes things a lot easier for beginners, and online tutorials you're going to be missing so many small and tiny gaps that authors assume you learned elsewhere(a problem books have less of).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If you want to program the engine, then I think C++ is essential for 3D games.  When you are adding in OpenGL or DirectX, the link to C++ will be made.  But there are alot of things that go along with games so usually you need to learn a multitude of languages.

However, if you are not trying to make a serious all in effort to joining a game studio, I think learning a language to create a game is pointless.  Its alot of time to develop a good engine and for a small team would be a major timesink.  I recommend going straight to the design stages and just using a middle-ware engine like the Hero Engine.

Usually middle-ware engine use their own scripting language for making customizations that can be learned relatively easily or they use Python.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    There is a book called Game Maker's apprentice that comes with a demo of the Game Maker software. I got it for like $20 on Amazon. If you follow the path, it teaches you a lot. Also, you will make a working game right from the start. There is also a follow up to the book. Both are on Amazon. I recommend starting from there, and then looking into C#, C++, and different programming engines. However, if you are serious enough to make it a career, I suggest going to a reputable school and networking with people in the industry.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527

http://unity3d.com/

^ is a great place to start.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Looking for a good beginner OOP language then try BlitzMax http://www.blitzbasic.com/ (mac/pc/linux) or Monkey http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/ (android/IOS/HTML5/Flash)