Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 ever make it as an eSport?

RedJorgeRedJorge Member Posts: 106

ArenaNet has widely advertized that one of their main aims is to make GW2 an eSport.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/structured-pvp-iceberg/

I think that is a noble aim, specially for the most dedicated PvP players, but I somehow feel that the game is far away from the required state to be part of World Cyber Games, for example.

What is your opinion? And what can be done in order to achieve this aim?

Thank you,

RJ

Leonard: Penny, you are on fire.
Penny: Yes, so is Sheldon.
[laughs]
Sheldon: Okay, that's it. I don't know how, but she is cheating. No-one can be that attractive and this skilled at a video game.
[walks away]
Penny: Wait, wait. Sheldon. Come back, you forgot something.
Sheldon: What?
Penny: This plasma grenade.
[explosion]
Penny: [laughs] Look! It's raining you.
Sheldon: You laugh now. You just wait until you need tech support. (Big Bang Theory)

Comments

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Some how I feel threads are just jumping out of you O_O
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    At this point it will be tough. I'm not sure GW2 pvp is popular enough. You need a real big base to be a recognized e-sport.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    It's so tempting to say that esport is all GW2 has a chance to be.But I won't.
  • eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    It's so tempting to say that esport is all GW2 has a chance to be.But I won't.

But you already did DUM DUM DUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

It would be awesome!  But the SPvP scene is bleeding players.  I personally don't think mmorpgs are spectator friendly, especially ones that have the EQ, WoW, GW2, over the shoulder, third person perspective.

WoW's pvp scene (the biggest pvp community in any mmorpg) has pretty much accepted this.  Tom Chilton and Greg Street have also come out and said this and their main goal is just to make WoW fun for their players and not change it into an E-Sport.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

No, it wont be imo. Love the game, but it wont take off in that capacity. There just isnt enough players interested. Most that WERE interested have moved on(i say this because the spvp guild i was apart of had maybe 200 members, but only 5 were online when i left)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

No.

Just ANET hype. 

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Id wish i could say yes.... but seeing how fast i got bored of pvp in this game im going to say NAAAAAAAH!

Its funny thou.... i can play league of legends for hours and hours 2 years later but only a week of gw2 pvp and i was already done with it.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Another thing id like to note.... some of the mini game pvp games were actually more fun then the current main form of spvp they gw2 has going.

I just wish mini games like reapers rumble were not just seasonal.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    At the moment no. Near future? Doubtful. Long way down the road - if they make it robust enough.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• janjanahmetjanjanahmet Member CommonPosts: 7
    Esport -- Waiting 2013 ...
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    I think GW2's pvp combat is far too fast paced, and chaotic to make for a decent e sport.  You can't even tell what's going on half the time.  Too many effects and such being slung around.  And like I said, it's awfully fast paced which only adds to the chaos going on. 

Half the time I get top spot in PVP.  The other half I get near the bottom of the list.  What did I do differently between matches?  Not much.  I still haven't gotten a handle on PVP in this game, and thats the first time I've felt that way in an mmo. 

I can't say definitively since I haven't done a whole lot of it, and I do really like GW2, but so far I feel the PVP is absolute garbage.  I've never enjoyed it less than I have in GW2.  Perhaps that will change later as I play more of it.  But so far I am seriously not impressed with it. 

So could GW2 PVP be an esport?  I seriously don't think so. 

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

What does make a game e-sport'able ?

I always thought GW2 is a little reduced with the low number of buttons to press, but more often...

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by rawfox

What does make a game e-sport'able ?

I always thought GW2 is a little reduced with the low number of buttons to press, but more often...

At the moment, it is the 'number of eyes' a game gets that makes it 'esports'.

This is why LoL is just stomping everything including StarCraft2 (and the fact Blizzard doesn't have Clan / Esport support at all).

I doubt GW2 will ever make it into an Esports cause the people that want to watch a player play GW2 is too small.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I think this might be one of the ways they are harming themselves. They didn't separate the code between pvp and pve so now every time there's a nerf it affects PVE (despite their claims it's obvious what's happening when you login and play).

So in their haste to make this game the best esport they can, they've completely neglected the larger playerbase of pve'ers explorers personal story lore buffs and legit farmers. We're all hoping their vacation may have given them some time to think about the issues but we're not holding our collective breaths at this point.

I personally hope someone over there will have that proverbial wakeup call so they don't in the process destroy both communities and end up with only the RPers

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

At this point I don't belive there is any way for it to become esport. If you go to random sPVP match with 8 people on both sides it very chaotic and messy if there are more people fighting so it would be very hard to keep track for viewer on what's going on. 

Maybe in future when they add spectator and if they add more game modes with less people in teams it might have a chance to be interesting to watch.

I love the game but without more stuff within sPVP at the moment no way. In the future if they make the right moves maybe.

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121
    GW2 esport = VAPORWARE
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    As soon as they release a moba-style mode in SPvP it will be an e-sport.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    GW2 with it's concepts could make it, but ANet doesn't have what it takes to make GW2 an esport game. They can't even get their standard PvP straight, let alone even remotely balance the classes. Some of them do not even work 4 month after launch.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305

I hope not. eSports are part of what's ruining MMO's. For MOBA style games and Multiplayer FPS it's perfect, but it does not belong in an MMORPG.

The only reason I would not be completely against it in GW2 is because sPvP does not equal a mandatory gear grind and the fact there is no real open world PvP.

If they sell out and use the WoW arena model, they can take this game and shove it where the sun don't shine.

• addaxaddax Member Posts: 1

first GW2 is a P2P hard to make eSport less ppl can access the game

second not like a MOBA game hard to rule the match

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Don't believe so. There is no competition in GW2. Even in pvp you are just one of many players. 
  • 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by addax

first GW2 is a P2P hard to make eSport less ppl can access the game

second not like a MOBA game hard to rule the match

Ah yeah I forgot Starcraft II was F2P.

oh wait...

And GW2 is B2P.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    I think GW2's pvp combat is far too fast paced, and chaotic to make for a decent e sport.  You can't even tell what's going on half the time.  Too many effects and such being slung around.  And like I said, it's awfully fast paced which only adds to the chaos going on. 

Half the time I get top spot in PVP.  The other half I get near the bottom of the list.  What did I do differently between matches?  Not much.  I still haven't gotten a handle on PVP in this game, and thats the first time I've felt that way in an mmo. 

I can't say definitively since I haven't done a whole lot of it, and I do really like GW2, but so far I feel the PVP is absolute garbage.  I've never enjoyed it less than I have in GW2.  Perhaps that will change later as I play more of it.  But so far I am seriously not impressed with it. 

So could GW2 PVP be an esport?  I seriously don't think so. 

This is my opinion as well.  I could never tell what was going on in PVP and no single ability that I used was signficant enough to make me feel as if my contributions were needed.  Before GW2 I had never experienced the "zerg", but now I think I understand.

When you play a game like League of Legends, every player is uniquely identified by their champion and the abilities that they use.  When someone plays their hand, you know exactly what they did and how it helped determine the match.   Every shot fired may make or break the match.  Every player has a role to fullfill.

This is not the case in GW2.  I don't see how anyone could possibly find any enjoyment in watching someone they don't know sling the same ability as the bloke next to him.

There is also the topic of technical limitations and character fade in crowded area's.  Nothing like the 16 people that killed you being invisible until 30 seconds after you're dead.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Depends on whether they continue to "focus" on it or not. The need spectator mode. And get rid of stupid hot join. And make the pvp downloadable for "free" (offer like 3 professions a week or something)