Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen vs. Eve. vs. Elite: Dangerous

2

Comments

  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614


    Originally posted by Xondar123
    EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

    all the above is true: apart from the catching up with the skillpoints thingy: that is bogus. How many times I have killed 'superior' older players; it's sickening easy.

    Skillpoints help you up to a point, from there on your knowledge of the game makes the difference, I guess Xondar is the "blob PVP player" and has never done REAL PVP without the backing of his alliance.

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Star citizen is a wing commander based project yeah?


    Wing commander isn't a sandbox. A multiplayer elite would have a lot in common with eve, a multiplayer wing commander couldn't really.

    Very true. Elite was one of the big inspirations for EVE Online, so a multiplayer elite would bring the cycle full circle. :) 

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

    I LOVED Elite on my C64, now playing EVE for like 10y, is any of these games apart from EVE available to test/play etc or is it still 'work in progress/planning stage'?

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Averof

    Seems some green is on this forum again, that have all the answers right in their pockets^

    Yes i remember these people that have all the answers, yet they comment on everything like their opinion is the best, and yet jump on every new opinion as a T remark....No i have not forgotten your remark...

    And to the topic, you are wrong, there is no real competition in the space genre, EvE and SWG have carried the flag alone most of the years gone by, no matter how many mediocre space game list you post.

    Sorry to buzz your full of space games world, but time has come for games like Star Citizen, or Elite, to carry the space genre flag, with EvE, not against it.

    Next time you jump on someone's opinion  assume you will not make long time friends either.

    Where did I say I have all the answers or that it wasn't time for a game like Star Citizen? If anything, I said there was plenty of room for games in the genre. I'll write your bizarre post off to a language barrier thing. 

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    I'll write your post to a lang gauge as well for correct spelling, and your bizarre notions too.

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Muke

    I LOVED Elite on my C64, now playing EVE for like 10y, is any of these games apart from EVE available to test/play etc or is it still 'work in progress/planning stage'?

    Not yet, unless you have pledged and will be able to play the alpha version.

    So far, all info comes from RSI Site, and the opening cinematic shows real gameplay footage form Chris Roberts.

    The fact that he revealed real gameplay content, is what ignited the overwhelming support. The gaming world is full of undelivered promises. And our hopes are that by day 1, Chris already delivered gameplay, not screenshots, and not just art and wishfull thinking.

    We are all waiting for more news patiently.

     

     

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

    >> Crewable spacecraft interiors <<

    The one MAJOR thing about Star Citizen, that I have not yet seen mentioned and makes the game hugely unique, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

    http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation (scroll down to images)

    http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Constellation?file=Freelancer_cutaway.jpg

    You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  You can actually get up from one station and walk around and sit at the dining table or go to your rack or hop in a turret or repair various systems... as your character and your friends/gf/bf/spouse can be doing the same on your ship.   Imagine you and your friends all sitting together at the dining table on your ship, or their ship, while discussing things to do be it a pirate raid or merchant run, etc. (like Firefly *hand over heart*).  It's not just a ship... it can be a home.  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

    Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mystais

    The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

    http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

    You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

    That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Mystais

    The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

    http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

    You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

    That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

    I think there will be, do check it though, but i reckon Chris said somewhere, that there will be player ship creation content, and maybe interior design that you can buy from other players too, but you should search for it, as i cannot recall where exaclty i heard it.

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Mystais

    The one major thing about Star Citize,n that I have not yet seen mentioned, that may cater well to a couple in game is that in Star Citizen your ship has an interior that you may play, crew and 'live' in.  Depending on the ship, the player crew size may range from 2 to 5.

    http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/more-constellation-details/

    You are not the ship in Star Citizen.  You are a person on the ship... not just flying but also gunning, repairing and sleeping and eating, etc..  I figure those immersive features might be interesting for a couple.

    That's a big thing for a good number of Star Trek fans. It's a neat level of ship management, especially if there's a decent bit of customization or advancement to the characters.

    Customization, yes.

    Advancement? eh? this is not an RPG, the character is just an avatar, all the skills come from you, the player.

    Also Star Citizen features a fully persistent universe, it is NOT just a single player game (though Squadron 42 is).

    Do keep in mind that Chris Roberts did not made just Wing Commande but also games like Privateer and Freelancer.

    "If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"



  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,056
    It always bugs me when people say 'there are no other space mmos but eve'. This is an incredibly narrow-sighted view.

    Not only is Vendetta Online a twitch/physics mmorpg in space that takes place in a single, persistent "world"; it's been out for longer than Eve.

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by thalpha

     

    Originally posted by Xondar123

    I recommend you avoid EVE Online.

    It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

    EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

     

    You're either intentionally trying to drive people away or you don't know what you're talking about, but pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

     

    1. Subpar - A matter of opinion, but I'm pretty sure the many, many people that play would disagree with you. CCP puts a lot of work into the game to make it as good as possible (despite the number of players that whine about them).
    2. Skill divide - Yes the vets are going to have more raw SP because they've been playing longer. However, if a new player specializes, it will only take them a month or two to almost completely catch up to a vet on that particular area. For example, once a vet gets all the skills related to flying a frigate, they're done. You can acquire the same skills and be on the same level as them in a matter of months. Just make sure you use your training time wisely.
    3. Devs being in corps/alliances - This has been a non-issue for a very long time (like 2006 or something, before I was around). I believe that it did happen with an alliance called Band of Brothers, in which a dev was in a leadership position and actively worked to advance the alliance through his ties in the company, but CCP found out, fired him, and instituted a policy in which anyone working for CCP can no longer use their leverage to help out corps/alliances.
    4. New players being griefed - If it happens in the starting areas, it is actually a bannable offence I think. Anywhere else is free game, because Eve doesn't coddle people like every other game out there.
    TL;DR: You don't know what you're talking about, so stop commenting on it.

    youre right on your first point

    2. so,,i just attack a battlecruiser in my noob frigate?

    3.monoclegate, player scams,,EVE has a horrible reputation

    4.the only game , where i have met more griefers, is APB

  • apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

    Some semi-facts about eve:

    -99% of players have at least 2 accounts ( i was multiboxing with at least 2 - one farming and onbe pvping, but there have been special times when i had 4 loged in)

    -0.1  of players( the noes  who are the ceo of corporations and aliances) play for free by tacking/robbing corp funds, the rest are just slaves/meatshield  for their corps/aliances/ceos

    -now and then when the space is  *really* endangered you *may* get a free ship to fight for corp space

    -you have almost no room for mistakes: you either get quicly killed by enemyes or you get trolled/harrased/bullied by your teammates.

    -there is no concept of fair fight, if you end in one you did something wrong . usually the bigger blob(which can have hundreds of ships/players) wins

    -this game should be actually named "metagaming online". good luck killing anything without spyes infiltrated in the corporation controlling that teritory.

     

    All this would not be actually a problem if the game would not require huge amount of farming  or real money investment to buy ships. I quit playing the game for quite some time but at that time a fully equipeed shipd would have cost you arround 20 $ or 5-10 hours of farming(not mentioning the logistic to move the ship in space to your station)  and you can lose it in a blink.  If you see a single target that you want to engage probably is just a bait and you will have 10 capitals jumping on you.

     

    The ammount of boreness in this game is huge.  Beside farming for hours/days for a ship you will spend hours to get a fight.

    When you get in a fight it will end anyway in a timeframe of 30sec-5 minutes or major lag will kick in and what is supose to take 1 sec takes 5 min.

     

    Usually people keep playing this game because of "hostages factor" - you invested so much time in your assets and you don't want to quit.

    ====

    EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

    Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

     

     

  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by apanz3r

    Some semi-facts about eve:

    -99% of players have at least 2 accounts ( i was multiboxing with at least 2 - one farming and onbe pvping, but there have been special times when i had 4 loged in)

    -0.1  of players( the noes  who are the ceo of corporations and aliances) play for free by tacking/robbing corp funds, the rest are just slaves/meatshield  for their corps/aliances/ceos

    -now and then when the space is  *really* endangered you *may* get a free ship to fight for corp space

    -you have almost no room for mistakes: you either get quicly killed by enemyes or you get trolled/harrased/bullied by your teammates.

    -there is no concept of fair fight, if you end in one you did something wrong . usually the bigger blob(which can have hundreds of ships/players) wins

    -this game should be actually named "metagaming online". good luck killing anything without spyes infiltrated in the corporation controlling that teritory.

     

    All this would not be actually a problem if the game would not require huge amount of farming  or real money investment to buy ships. I quit playing the game for quite some time but at that time a fully equipeed shipd would have cost you arround 20 $ or 5-10 hours of farming(not mentioning the logistic to move the ship in space to your station)  and you can lose it in a blink.  If you see a single target that you want to engage probably is just a bait and you will have 10 capitals jumping on you.

     

    The ammount of boreness in this game is huge.  Beside farming for hours/days for a ship you will spend hours to get a fight.

    When you get in a fight it will end anyway in a timeframe of 30sec-5 minutes or major lag will kick in and what is supose to take 1 sec takes 5 min.

     

    Usually people keep playing this game because of "hostages factor" - you invested so much time in your assets and you don't want to quit.

    ====

    EVE would be a great game if it would cut the farming factor a bit and would implement the same insurance concept as StarCitizen. (you loose the ship you get it back with some restrictions)

    Yes there is insurance in eve but you get ingame currency. To replace the ship you would actually have to spend hours to transport/haul/move it in space. For capitals is even harder and for supercapitalls you can't even buy one without proper connections not mentioning that half of universe will literraly run to kill you.

     

     

    Many of the reasons that i stopped playing,  you can spend hours looking for a fight and then be out of the fight in sec's.  EVE online is the best space MMO out right now and that  is just sad.  On the skill point thing, yes there is a limited amount of skills that can be applied to a single ship, the problem is that it takes 6+ months to max out that ship (yes you are coming close to maxing all the others as well).  It takes a very very long time to get all the support skills max, then there are the ship specific skills that you need to learn (this does not mean a new player can't win a fight vs an older char, bad players can still be taken down, that happens in all MMO's).  There are good things about EVE, you really can fly what you want to fly, bring to a fight what you want to bring (more players == win).  And there are many others.        

    The game ends up boiling down to two things, making isk and losing isk.   

  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

    So far it looks like SC and ED sadly went the carebear friendly casual route to please everybody.

    SC with the little PvE-PvP slider

    E:D with the awful grouping / filter concept.

     

    well, back to EvE then, the only "real" sandbox

  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by thalpha

     

    Originally posted by Xondar123

    I recommend you avoid EVE Online.

    It's actually quite a sub-par game, but it's the big name in town because the numnber of space sim MMOs that are currently released can be counted on one hand (the number is 1, namely EVE Online.)

    EVE has a super steep learnbing curve, you can never catch up in skillpoints to the vets due to the fact they're time based, the game is dominated by giant corporations that basically use the developers to design the game how they want it, the developers are part of many in-game corporations and mess with the game to enmsure their corp stays on top, and newbs can get ganked in their starter spaceships in the starting zones with impunity by griefers.

     

    You're either intentionally trying to drive people away or you don't know what you're talking about, but pretty much everything you posted is wrong.

     

    1. Subpar - A matter of opinion, but I'm pretty sure the many, many people that play would disagree with you. CCP puts a lot of work into the game to make it as good as possible (despite the number of players that whine about them).
    2. Skill divide - Yes the vets are going to have more raw SP because they've been playing longer. However, if a new player specializes, it will only take them a month or two to almost completely catch up to a vet on that particular area. For example, once a vet gets all the skills related to flying a frigate, they're done. You can acquire the same skills and be on the same level as them in a matter of months. Just make sure you use your training time wisely.
    3. Devs being in corps/alliances - This has been a non-issue for a very long time (like 2006 or something, before I was around). I believe that it did happen with an alliance called Band of Brothers, in which a dev was in a leadership position and actively worked to advance the alliance through his ties in the company, but CCP found out, fired him, and instituted a policy in which anyone working for CCP can no longer use their leverage to help out corps/alliances.
    4. New players being griefed - If it happens in the starting areas, it is actually a bannable offence I think. Anywhere else is free game, because Eve doesn't coddle people like every other game out there.
    TL;DR: You don't know what you're talking about, so stop commenting on it.

    Depends on what consitutes as griefers.  Was mining in high sec and someone blew my minig barge up (can't remember if was using the one before the hulk or an industrial ship for some afking mining) with a destroyer.  Happened once n did a little cussing but that's the nature of the game.

    But do wholeheartedly agree with everything else you critique the post on.

  • redthoughtredthought Member Posts: 10
    I have been playing eve for 5 years now, and have enjoyed nearly all of my time there.  Eve is not a game for those faint of heart or easily discouraged.  I will play both SC and E:D  and am excited about both of them....  I have been waiting 5 years, nearly the same month i started playing eve, for a game or rather company to make a game better than Eve.   EVE has many faults including its "spread sheet" feel,  however it is the only game out there that even closely resembles what i look for in the future of gaming.  Calling eve a sandbox, at its current definition, is not very descriptive of the game.  EVE is a  world simulator.  Other games, to me, are just large quest hubs with developer driven content.  I imagine that both SC and E:D will be a blast to play, though I have my reservations that they will have staying power like Eve does.  One of my biggest concerns will be the buy to play model of funding.  How can a company sustain new and interesting updates to a game when most of its income is acquired at the games release.  How will they pay to keep the server or servers going in two years time?  I personally would pay 40+ $ a month for a new game that would knock my socks off and redefine what i think of as an mmo, like eve did 5 years ago.   
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

    There is also the case that SC starts from a different philosophy than EvE...will present an eye candy package, a single player experience, a persistent universe but actually flying your ship with a believable cockpit interface and mechanic, and use this as staying power for the beggining period of the game, and slowly let systems evolve, more and more complicated, and yes, add more "spreadsheet" as well, depth, and see where will it be, after 10 years.

    EvE has done the opposite, i may predict, that by the time SC launches, we will get cockpits for EvE, in  fear or panic, or just for the sake of evolution of competition, which i think would be really really nice and a welcome addition to the feel of EvE, finally becoming less spreadsheety.

    Sadly EvE is 10 years old, and the NGE experience has traumatized, besides the SWG community, the gaming industry as well i guess, and suits are not brave enough anymore to push changes, take the "monocle" example in mind, and the pilot's quarters, which i did like, but most, sadly, did not. Which brings me to the conclusion, that EvE just has a different set of people playing, that are not in their majority into more than one MMOs. Except MMORPG members for example that play most MMOs, i met at least a solid 10-30% of nearly always on line eve players that either have not played any other MMO, or even barely know proper english to communicate in teamspeak or in a written chat.

     These kind of EvE crowd, will not ever bother trying any other MMO, and frankly is not impressed even in the sound of the word "dogfighting". These people will revolt if CCP ever tries to change the old interface with anything that resembles a cockpit.

    Thus SC will come to fill a gap, and please a very different type of crowd that loves space sims, but was never an EvE customer or gamer. And by the simplicity and flare and goodies that please the eye and senses, and Speeeeeed, it will bring players that love space sims, but have been forced to play fantasy, fps, rts genres, having no capable choice like one has in the fantasy genre with games like WoW, EQ, and so on.

    Star Citizen has Chris Roberts, the GrandMaster of the Space Sim Opera. If he ever was to launch any of his games like Wing Commander Online, Freelancer Online, or Privateer Online, that would be awesome....

    Does this sound too much? Well yes, but imagine, that SC will have all three games incorporated into, and much more by design.

    I was overhyped when i read Bill's words that Chris came back to the Space Gaming Industry. When i saw the first prealpha i was overwhelmed along with more than 200000 backers and pledged. 

    I wouldn't worry about EvE, neither for SC too, i worry a little about Elite, not having more info on it's progress.

    SC has more than 32 weeks of game shows every friday with news about the game...that's something we have not been used too much, i guess we are into more surprises, and SC's competitors in the same genre, and other genres, are into surpises as well. Hangar module comes this August!

    Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

  • craiginbcraiginb Member Posts: 1

    I've been playing eve for under 2 months.  It's a return to eve after a 4 year vacation and I doubt I will renew my subscription.  

    Reasons I don't like eve.

    Try to find a friendly corp for experience. For instance I tried to join Eve University the so called introduction corp.  After waiting for 3 weeks to do a final interview I got an email one day from one of their PO saying that I was wasting their time.  I had been checking my queue status every couple hours and missioning in between and some jerk tells me I am wasting their time cause their  call wasn't answered? Screw this, I have been waiting 3 freeking weeks and someone tells me I'm wasting their time for not noticing their call wasn't answered in the maybe 4 hours I was tied up on a mission.

    Then there is mission running.  You can expect to be tied up for 4 to 6 hours on the top value missions, especially a new pilot.  There are 2 things you want from missioning, standing with a corp and game currency. The only way you can really get any serious game isk is by running salvage on the wrecks otherwise you can split 3 M isk reward between 2 or more members.  Then in order to get good standing you have to do 18 regular missions to get a storyline.  Chances are the storyline will force a faction hit or send you to low sec, were someone is waiting for a newbie pilot to kill so they can pump up their killboard, so you don't get the big boost in faction standing after all or loose $300 M in game cash when your rigged battleship is destroyed and you are podded.

    So the answer?  Join a corp so that you can get some xp from someone who knows how to play the game.  See 1 above!  Or  my other experience with corps, join a player corp.  Can you really?  if you want to jump into pvp no problem, many pilots are waiting for newbie pilots to pod, so you shouldn't have any problem.  So I apply and because there is so much paranoia in the game I have to prove I'm not out to screw the corp.  That means I have to show all of my in game messages, all of my assets, all of my contacts so that the corp can hope to keep from getting screwed over by some player who wants to join so they can steal corp property and sell it. 

    I'm ready to try something else cause I'm certainly not looking forward to logging in again to EVE.  Now you should also figure that I'm just suck at MMORPGs and your experience won't be the same.  Good for you, enjoy.

  • RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

    i was told alot of great things about eve. I got really excited to play and desided to get the trial see what its like. My friend guided me through getting set up and teaching me what i needed to know...... and it was boring. Bland and boring. decided to attack some one and i won but the combat is so boring and detached. click click and the ship fights for you..... snorefest. 

    Now star wars galaxies oh oh that game had an epic space sim for its time. Jump to lightspeed put me in the cockpit of an x-wing and i soon became an ace pilot. but every now and then another pilot would out match me. it was a skill driven flight sim. you had to know what kind of parts to equipe and how to actually dog fight. 

    Star Citizen, if even half of what they promise will be the next greatest space sim MMO out there. be a pilot of a single fighter or pilot your own starship. And i though i saw word that you can be part of a starships marine complement. 

    Eve players bashing on this game have no right as they are of two different styles. one requires skill and thought, the other well... click and the work is done for you. 

    Now im not saying eve is a bad game. I mean why else would it have such a great following. I just find it to slow and detached for my liking. i need to be the pilot, i also need to know that if i fire a milimeter off my shot will miss by a meter or more downrange. meaning i actually have to use real piloting skills to outfly my target.

  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I always find myself annoyed by people who complain about Eve's combat system and then request something more flight-sim-esque. In my opinion, Eve Online's system is much more realistic than something with twitch controls. That far in the future, with that sort of technology, pilots are NOT going to be directly controlling those ships. The on-board computer systems and AI will be 10x the pilot the best human (or equivalent) pilot can achieve, and Eve's system is far more representative of that.

    <3

  • RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    I always find myself annoyed by people who complain about Eve's combat system and then request something more flight-sim-esque. In my opinion, Eve Online's system is much more realistic than something with twitch controls. That far in the future, with that sort of technology, pilots are NOT going to be directly controlling those ships. The on-board computer systems and AI will be 10x the pilot the best human (or equivalent) pilot can achieve, and Eve's system is far more representative of that.

    That may or may not be true and yeah some people like it but i would never trust a machine to do a pilots job. To many unknown variables. what if a glitch in the system screws up your IFFs and starts targeting friendlies and no matter what you do it wont stop firing? This is the main reason why pilot is far superior to a machine. He can control these things. Of course friendly fire is always an issue but in the long run a pilot has better judgement then a machine. AH a virus. if you broadcast a virus that can hack an enemies computers and override his safeties basically having a vehicle that can be completly run by a computer is a bad idea. 

    But as far as gameplay goes. EVE has a detach combat system. ( this is my opinion ) its not adrenaline pumping. hell i can play the whole game with just my mouse and keep up with veteran players. But some people like that kind of layed back slowpaced game where the computers do most of the work for you. 

    But me i want to be in my cockpit i want to have full control of the ship i like that feeling of making sure i get my kill myself. much more satisfying because you know he can miss just as much as you if your a good pilot. If i get shot down its because the other pilot either got lucky because i made a mistake, or was a superior pilot. 

  • bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by DocBrody

    So far it looks like SC and ED sadly went the carebear friendly casual route to please everybody.

    SC with the little PvE-PvP slider

    E:D with the awful grouping / filter concept.

     

    well, back to EvE then, the only "real" sandbox

    good and do us all a favor and stay there would ya.  dont corrupt ED  with your pvp bullshit ;)

  • Enkindu2Enkindu2 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Rewhymo

    But as far as gameplay goes. EVE has a detach combat system. ( this is my opinion ) its not adrenaline pumping.

    This statement damages your credibility a bit.  Back when I played EvE I remember plenty of fights that had my heart in my throat and left my hands shaking.  It isn't twitch combat, but you have to manage a ton of systems (drones, ewar, reppers, afterburners/ microwarpdrive, weapons) while you maintain near perfect situational awareness.  And when you lose in EvE you REALLY lose.... another player can come along and loot your wreck for all that shiny gear you spent months grinding for.  Fights in EvE count- that's why they are good.

Sign In or Register to comment.