Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day/night cycles in the original trilogy

I was watching the original trilogy and it felt so lifeless...I only counted 5 scenes over the three movies that weren't filmed in broad daylight:

-Luke watching the twin suns set in ANH

-The frog alien outside jabba's palace in ROTJ

-The "ur my sista" scene with Luke and Leia

-The Luke and Vader scene on Endor

-The fireworks scene at the end

I just couldn't get into it because of that.

Comments

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

What about the percentage of the movie that takes place in space?  Can't really consider that day or night but it is dark.  The parts that take place in the death star (along with any interior scenes)?  No clue whether it is day or night on the planets at that point but it makes since for it to be light since they are inside.

I personally care more about the storyline of a movie than I do about the percentage of time spent in the dark or light.  As for video games (and I've never played SWTOR so I have no clue whether or not the game has a day and night), my preference for a day/night cycle and whether or not I find a game more interesting as a result depends on how it is dealt with in the game.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by shirlnt

What about the percentage of the movie that takes place in space?  Can't really consider that day or night but it is dark.  The parts that take place in the death star (along with any interior scenes)?  No clue whether it is day or night on the planets at that point but it makes since for it to be light since they are inside.

I personally care more about the storyline of a movie than I do about the percentage of time spent in the dark or light.  As for video games (and I've never played SWTOR so I have no clue whether or not the game has a day and night), my preference for a day/night cycle and whether or not I find a game more interesting as a result depends on how it is dealt with in the game.

The intent of not creating night - day cycle in SWTOR was to give every planet uniques mood. Each planet has different color palette and different feeling. I do not miss day-night cycle. I absolutely hated it in LOTRO. In fact I was logging out when night was coming.

Besides... not knowing the planet orbital speed we are not able to say how long night and day is supposed to be there... or maybe... planet is oriented the way that there is just day on one side and night on other side... and the other side is .... not livable.

It's not the Earth. Some planets have more then one sun. Some ore so far from sun that it's always dark there - Ilum.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Camaro68

I was watching the original trilogy and it felt so lifeless...I only counted 5 scenes over the three movies that weren't filmed in broad daylight:

Even Jedi must sleep?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

The intent of not creating night - day cycle in SWTOR was to give every planet uniques mood. Each planet has different color palette and *snip*

best excuse for lazy game design. Seriously, this is the absolute, 100% lamest excuse I´ve heard for the missing day/night change. Blame the "artistic style" or call it a "unique mood". Tattooine during night would not have a unique mood? Setting twin suns in 10 year old granddaddy SWG was not "unique"?

TOR is frozen in time, nothing changes, it´s a theme park populated by plastic action figures, celebrating groundhog day without nights, every day until all eternity.

The missing day/night change is on my toplist of embarrassing mistakes in this game.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by shirlnt

The intent of not creating night - day cycle in SWTOR was to give every planet uniques mood. Each planet has different color palette and different feeling. I do not miss day-night cycle. I absolutely hated it in LOTRO. In fact I was logging out when night was coming.

Besides... not knowing the planet orbital speed we are not able to say how long night and day is supposed to be there... or maybe... planet is oriented the way that there is just day on one side and night on other side... and the other side is .... not livable.

It's not the Earth. Some planets have more then one sun. Some ore so far from sun that it's always dark there - Ilum.

Though I understand their intent, the reality is that for probably a larger percentage of folks, it stole some realism away from the world. I think most prefer a sense of realism over a specific mood. In fact I think the mood would have still been there regardless. For example, a world torn apart by war is still a world torn apart by war whether it is in the sun or at night. I still to this day don't understand the mood viewpoint. Can you explain why it would make a difference? What you wrote would make more sense if it was just a couple of planets, but not all of them.

There Is Always Hope!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by FromHell

The intent of not creating night - day cycle in SWTOR was to give every planet uniques mood. Each planet has different color palette and *snip*

best excuse for lazy game design. Seriously, this is the absolute, 100% lamest excuse I´ve heard for the missing day/night change. Blame the "artistic style" or call it a "unique mood". Tattooine during night would not have a unique mood? Setting twin suns in 10 year old granddaddy SWG was not "unique"?

TOR is frozen in time, nothing changes, it´s a theme park populated by plastic action figures, celebrating groundhog day without nights, every day until all eternity.

The missing day/night change is on my toplist of embarrassing mistakes in this game.

FromHell is spot on..  I've never seen such lifeless worlds before.  Everything is frozen in time.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Wasn't this precisely how it was in the original KOTOR?  It's possible time has eroded my memory a bit but I recall quite distinctly that each of the play areas were locked into a certain time of day, no matter when you visited.  I don't believe it has anything to do with laziness but was a mindful, aesthetic choice made by the developers.  Whether people agree with the choice or not is another story.
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Camaro68

I don't think the devs want their players' experience to be as short or passive as the experience of watcing the movies. Then again, maybe they did.