Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Origins server poll

Dr_NegativeDr_Negative Member UncommonPosts: 47

Back in 2008 Mythic was planning on an "Origins" server which would take DAoC back to its pre-expansion state such as focus on the classic zones, the old-frontiers, keeps, relic system, with the exception to changes over the years such as class balance, housing, UI improvments, etc. They had a poll on their website for 6 months but canceled plans and never released the results of the poll.

I am curious as to what the MMORPG.com community would think of a server such as this, would you switch to it, or would former subscribers resub for it if Mythic were to offer it? I also love stats, so that is another reason. :P

Screencap of the original poll:

Comments

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I left DAoC, like many others, after the release of the Trials of Atantis expansion, and while I yearned for those fun days prior to ToA, I never returned.

I'm not sure I could touch any MMO that had EA's sticky, profit-vs.-quality, filth-covered paws on it.

• jayndsunjayndsun Member Posts: 14

I'm currently playing on a freeshard.. its SI release.. I LOVED Classic too bad they took it away!

I'd return for this!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I would play, probably for a long time too if the population was decent.
  • RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by jayndsun

I'm currently playing on a freeshard.. its SI release.. I LOVED Classic too bad they took it away!

I'd return for this!

what freeshard are you playing on?

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile

• Kenshin_HimuraKenshin_Himura Member Posts: 75

With so many new games out and coming soon I don't so how someone would go to an older game.

It's like I grew up and bought a very nice car but I decided to go back to my childhood bike and use that instead.

edit: been there done that, meaning my favorite mmorpg of all times and the one I spent 7 years was FFXI and I have returned and started from scratch so many times only to leave the next day. It feels like playing PS3 now and when going back to my 1st mmorpg feels like playing NES lol I like the progress in todays technology going backwards is not my thing.

• Moridin82Moridin82 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by redcapp
    I would play, probably for a long time too if the population was decent.

Yeah me2..:)

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Rodzilla
    Originally posted by jayndsun

I'd return for this!

what freeshard are you playing on?

More importantly, does it have Necromancers working properly?

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Sorry mate, it was the best game in the world, but it dead not so just let it rest.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    There is no MMO with better PvP than classic DAoC still in 2013. I would gladly resubscribe if they made such a server and it had a good population.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    The only problem with an origins server now is it's too late.  TESO is coming out and from what I've heard it's alot like DAoC, with TES lore and stuff.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Played DAoC from beta for 8 years, it's had it's day now.

Unless it went F2P i'd never even consider playing again.

Old frontiers? Emain bowl zerging 24/7 by the overpopulated realm (Albion), MG's camped by 2-3 FG's of stealthers, the rest of the RvR areas completely empty, OF keeps pbaoe through the walls, no thanks.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    The only problem with an origins server now is it's too late.  TESO is coming out and from what I've heard it's alot like DAoC, with TES lore and stuff.

GW2 and WAR were promising DAOC RvR too and we all know what happened.I'm not so sure ESO will pull it off.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I did play DAoC way back when it launched but due to life stuff never got into it properly... I would like the chance so, yeah, would def play this.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I've tried going back a couple of times over the years, but I've been spoiled with modern day interfaces and DAoC's antiquated one is beyond annoying.  They'd have to completely revamp their interface up to today's standards for me to even think about going back.  I never had an issue with ToA, simply by not doing it.  Making a server without it isn't going to be any more of a draw for me.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Kenshin_Himura

With so many new games out and coming soon I don't so how someone would go to an older game.

It's like I grew up and bought a very nice car but I decided to go back to my childhood bike and use that instead.

edit: been there done that, meaning my favorite mmorpg of all times and the one I spent 7 years was FFXI and I have returned and started from scratch so many times only to leave the next day. It feels like playing PS3 now and when going back to my 1st mmorpg feels like playing NES lol I like the progress in todays technology going backwards is not my thing.

I'm playing EQ and Vanguard right now.  I'm not liking the newest releases much, with the exception of SWTOR, from which I am taking a break.

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

First off in the old days i would love to see a sever like this. But why should players want it now and pay for it?

1. The game engien are to old

2. The skill / abilities system are to old, and all seen before.

4. The rvr/pv system are to old , and all seen before.

5. There have been a sever like that for years now, and its free(Ultgard)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I would probably come back if they added an Origins server. This is not because I am excited about the ruleset itself but just because the new server would have a lot of action.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322

DAoC is still may favorite game of all time.  Played from beta until NF but just didn't like the directin it took (and the castration of the Archer classes.)  Plus, the buffbot issue was just more than I could stand.  That said, I'd be interested if the following changes were made:

1) Concentration buffs on a tight range and buffer must be in group.

2) No buff pots

3) Upgrade engine

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!